Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk? - Page 2

Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk?

This is a discussion on Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gasmitty I'm not sure what you mean by "premium" .22 ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are maybe a cent and a half more per ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "premium" .22 ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are maybe a cent and a half more per round than a lot of bulk ammo. When I hear "premium" I think of Wolf Match Extra, SK Plus, and just about anything by Eley.

But nearly all rimfires seem to have a favorite round they shoot better than the rest. Finding that particular round out of the scores available can be a chore or it can be a fun quest.
    I was thinking of Mini Mags, Stingers,stuff like that when I used the word premium.. Might have chosen the wrong word.
    From what I can see online they are $.02-$.03 a round more expensive, but when you are looking to buy 5000 rounds, thats quite a lot of money..[$100+]
    Not a deal killer of course.. The Aguila Super Extra intrigues me.. Its very cheap, and the user reviews have been absolutely great across the board, everywhere I looked online.
    A lot of guys like it better than min mags, stringers etc, and its really priced right.

When the gun gets here I have a bunch of different ammo brands to try on hand already, including some plated nose bulk target stuff by Winchester and Remington, some lead nose cheap Remington, and Winchester, some pretty expensive Browning ammo I picked up at some point , CCI stringers, CCI Mini Mags, and a bunch of Federal SuperX and 1 small box of something called Federal spitfire..
    So besides the remington and winchester cheap stuff, I have 5 other HV 22LR rounds to try after trying the cheap bulk stuff I have... I will just see what "runs the gun".. Just hoping that its not a gun that won't cycle properly no matter what its fed.. I have read a LOT of horror stories about the bobcat not being reliable with any ammo, to go along with those that have good reviews.. i will know soon enough.. Thanks to all as always for some good information!.... bob
    gasmitty and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    WARNING: I have a friend who has a Ruger SR22 and it totally and completely will NOT shoot that Aguila Super Extra. My Ruger Mark IV doesn't like it either, BUT my M&P .22 compact and my Browning 1911-22 eat it like candy. BUT if you shoot indoors, be also warned that it stinks to high heaven. Seriously. I can't get the smell out of my nose for over a day. It believe it is the Eley primer they use. If you shoot outside it's fine.

Look at Armscor HP - It seems a bit more accurate in my guns than a couple other low priced brands and I recently got a 5000 round (or maybe 7000?) round case for 3.8 cents per round total price. I see it's .03 per round on targetsports BUT is out of stock. You can sign up to get notified when they get it back in, and that gives you time to find an individual box or two to try in your gun(s).
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    WARNING: I have a friend who has a Ruger SR22 and it totally and completely will NOT shoot that Aguila Super Extra. My Ruger Mark IV doesn't like it either, BUT my M&P .22 compact and my Browning 1911-22 eat it like candy. BUT if you shoot indoors, be also warned that it stinks to high heaven. Seriously. I can't get the smell out of my nose for over a day. It believe it is the Eley primer they use. If you shoot outside it's fine.

Look at Armscor HP - It seems a bit more accurate in my guns than a couple other low priced brands and I recently got a 5000 round (or maybe 7000?) round case for 3.8 cents per round total price. I see it's .03 per round on targetsports BUT is out of stock. You can sign up to get notified when they get it back in, and that gives you time to find an individual box or two to try in your gun(s).
    I have the SR 22, as well as a 22/45, and they eat the cheap stuff NO problem.. maybe they will not fire the Aquila stuff, but I have piles of the cheap stuff that they both run smooth on.

it will be interesting to see what the Beretta likes.. I will start with cheap copper coated rounds, and work my way through the other 4 or 5 brands I have on hand.
    I don't think i will use bare lead at all in it, too many horror stories online.. If I try the Aguila, I will see if I can get a small box or two first before ordering a lot of it.
    Maybe I will luck out and get a good one that behaves no matter what I try to run through it... I hope... bob
    ShooterGranny likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I have one weapon that when the suppressor is on it needs HV 22LR to cycle properly. I have used Aguila 22 LR 40 Gr Super Extra Copper Coated Round Nose High Velocity - its' cheap comparatively and works consistently in that circumstance. Bricks of 5000 rounds run $160-200 depending.

I like this ammo. Works well in all my .22's. Rifles and handguns.

Of course I have some Remington Thunderbolts, Federal Auto match, CCI Mini mags and CCI standard velocity as well.

Another I like to use when I can find it is CI, .22LR, Copper Plated Round Nose, 40 Grain
    I've had no issues with this ammo either. It's made in Mexico.

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=29384

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    cci mini mags only in my bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    cci mini mags only in my bobcat.
    Please check your PM, i asked you a few questions that I hope you might answer... thanks,,, bob

Blazers. Any where from 20.00 up/brick. PSA had them at 16 a few months ago. They are made by CCI, and are almost the same as mini mags without the copper wash. Or CCI AR but they are more $$$. My guns run well on both.

e
    Iím another fan of the Aguila Super Extra. Reliable, very few duds, accurate.

Aguila's Interceptor round is my go-to carry .22 in my 43C...a little more spendy, but worth it; usually $40/500...sometimes a bit cheaper than Mini-Mags or Stingers.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The general consensus on the Bobcat over on the Beretta Forum is that its EXTREMELY picky, worse than the walther .22 I had- which was horrible..
    Guys told me Aguila doesn't do well in them, and only to use CCI Mini Mags or Stingers if I want it to cycle most of the time..
    Not only that, the barrel must be snaked, and gun cleaned and lubed about every 50 rounds if i want any dependability at all out of it..

I MAY have bit off more than I really care to chew on with this little Beretta.. The store called today, it came in so I guess I will find out in a few days after I get it to the range.. In the snow.. In 6 degree weather!. bob
    Last edited by beebee; December 19th, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my SIL carries a 22LR Bobcat. I've had a few opportunities to fire it and it worked A-OK with Federal Automatch. Mini-Mags also cycled flawlessly. Haven't used it with anything else, so can't comment. But I will say that it's a real hoot. I think you'll be pleased with yours.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

So I picked the Bobcat up, and on the way home made a quick stop at the range.. I had grabbed I think 28 rounds on the way out the door at home.. so i could run a few mags through the gun.. I had NO time to spend with it,, wife sitting in the car with the heater on, looking at her watch, had to go pick up our grandkids.
    The range was a
    foot deep in snow and it was 20 degrees.. Sprayed a bit of Remoil on the slide, and put the 2 worst .22 I could find at home through it.. It was divided between Rem Bucket O Bullets Golden something or other , thinly plated, and Rem Thundebolts unplated.. These 2 are the cheapest .22 LR rounds I own, an I have LOT of it!

I know its a very small sample size, but both ran through the bobcat perfectly, so I am hopeful maybe I got a "good one" that will run fine on whatever... Even if it runs fine with cheap rounds, I plan to keep an eye out for "deals" on CCI Mini Mags. I figure even if ALL my 22's run great on the cheap stuff, I still need to stock up on some better quality .22 LR. i have a few hundred rounds of Mini mags, but need more... btw, the little Bobcat is a VERY cool gun!.. Seems pretty fairly accurate as well, although the sample size is too small to tell for sure.. full range report coming when I can get out on a decent day.... bob
    Texas Red and ShooterGranny like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links