Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk?

This is a discussion on Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have quite a bit of .22 LR, in several different brands. Probably 6K rounds or so right now.. Mostly Remington "Bucket O Bullets.. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Good quality HV .22 LR that can be bought in bulk?

I have quite a bit of .22 LR, in several different brands. Probably 6K rounds or so right now.. Mostly Remington "Bucket O Bullets.. I have a few hundred rounds of other small box Hi V,/Super V type stuff from CCI such as Stinger/Mini mag etc, and several other
    "premium"brands that are in the ammo cabinet, but the brands and velocities elude me right now.

I have NO issue with any of our guns cycling the cheapo stuff on anything so far. I have a Ruger 22/45- SR.22- 10-22- NAA .22- and Wrangler, and they all are fine with the cheap stuff, never a cycling problem, just a 1 out of 200 dud here and there..

Now I have a Beretta 21A Bobcat .22 LR on the way here, and from everything I have read they do NOT like anything but premium .22 LR ammo..

Thats not a major problem, but buying ""Premium" .22LR in 50 round plastic boxes at the same price that 9mm costs is something I would prefer to avoid if I can.
    I will keep a few hundred rounds of the best .22LR stuff around always, but when buying good .22LR stuff i would like to buy in bulk if at all possible ...

If the Beretta cycles the cheaper Remington rounds ok, then this is all moot. I will use it at the range, and keep the good stuff in the gun here at home or when its on me.
    some owners report they Bobcats will cycle anything as long as its coated, and not exposed lead.

Any recommendations on good quality bulk .22LR that will cycle finicky semi auto handguns?..

I recall many years ago before I knew better trying to get a Walther P22 to eat bulk .22 and it was a disaster..
    Gun was brand new and we hated it, and my son took it off our hands for like $100, used top shelf HiV .22 and never had an issue.
    I would like to avoid that with the Beretta, but am not sure what bulk .22 to consider buying down the road, and could use some ideas as to whats really good and can bought in bulk quantities fairly reasonably... bob

You can buy bulk packs of mini mags and stingers wont be cheep but you can get 500 packs of them ...Frankly I would see what runs the 21a then go from that ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I recommend you just try it with what you have on hand when you get it. If it won't cycle that, don't use it and then find something it will. Rimfire pistols are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.
    Old Man, airslot and Goldy49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Mini Mags for me because they are the cleanest I have found. Palmetto offers bulk deals on them from time to time.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member
    I agree with the previous posters to try what you have on hand first. Then, go see what your Bobcat likes to eat and digest. Day in and day out, I find that CCI Mini Mags and WW Super X work for reliability in my .22 pistols.

Yes that was my plan .. IF it eats the bulk stuff I have its all good.. I am basing much of this on what I have read about the bobcat being very picky for most, to an absolute unworkable mess for a few.

I was just hoping that the "good stuff" was available in 1200-1500 rd bulk packs at a reasonable price.. Mini Mags and such are about the same price as decent 9mm around here... bob

flh
    I'm partial to the Remington Yellow Jacket & Viper , but being in N.Y. purchasing anything online may prove to be troublesome,

The local GS in my area will price match any advertised price that I bring in ,

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I have one weapon that when the suppressor is on it needs HV 22LR to cycle properly. I have used Aguila 22 LR 40 Gr Super Extra Copper Coated Round Nose High Velocity - its' cheap comparatively and works consistently in that circumstance. Bricks of 5000 rounds run $160-200 depending.

JeffreyR and Cuda66 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

[QUOTE=PPS1980;7861346]I have one weapon that when the suppressor is on it needs HV 22LR to cycle properly. I have used Aguila 22 LR 40 Gr Super Extra Copper Coated Round Nose High Velocity - its' cheap comparatively and works consistently in that circumstance. Bricks of 5000 rounds run $160-200 depending.

yeah thats not bad at all if its in that price range consistently .. I pay more for the Remington 1400 rd buckets.. they just cost me $65 ea. on sale last week, so the Aguila is substantially cheaper. I will keep it in mind for sure, depending on what this gun requires... Problem might be finding it... bob

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I'm partial to the Remington Yellow Jacket & Viper , but being in N.Y. purchasing anything online may prove to be troublesome,

The local GS in my area will price match any advertised price that I bring in ,

Targetsports always ships here, no problem. They are about the only one.. All the other online dealers are just losing business, by knowing NOTHING about state laws.. Perfectly legal to ship here if they would bother doing 5 minutes research, and realize they are not shipping to a restricted area downstate.. bob
    10thmtn likes this.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=beebee;7861370]
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I have one weapon that when the suppressor is on it needs HV 22LR to cycle properly. I have used Aguila 22 LR 40 Gr Super Extra Copper Coated Round Nose High Velocity - its' cheap comparatively and works consistently in that circumstance. Bricks of 5000 rounds run $160-200 depending.

yeah thats not bad at all if its in that price range consistently .. I pay more for the Remington 1400 rd buckets.. they just cost me $65 ea. on sale last week, so the Aguila is substantially cheaper. I will keep it in mind for sure, depending on what this gun requires... Problem might be finding it... bob
    Good luck, I've never had trouble finding it and just saw that one retailer has it at $2.08/50 right now so trying it out is cheap too.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Federal Automatch is good stuff and comes in boxes of several hundred at decent prices.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953130410
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

The Federal 38 gr HP not sure what they call it runs pretty well in all the 22's I own. The only semi-finicky .22 I own is the Ruger 22/45 and both the Federal Auto-match and Federal bulk 36 gr. HP works well in it! I really haven't found anything that my M&P 22 Compact won't shoot
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    The Federal 38 gr HP not sure what they call it runs pretty well in all the 22's I own. The only semi-finicky .22 I own is the Ruger 22/45 and both the Federal Auto-match and Federal bulk 36 gr. HP works well in it! I really haven't found anything that my M&P 22 Compact won't shoot

Typical semi auto pistol shenanigans..... your 22/45 is finicky and mine runs perfect on whatever bargain basement crap ammo I can find, even when its dirty..
    I don't understand how pistols are so individual.. They are machines made the exact same way in the same place and every part., tolerance, and assembly procedure is identical.. they should all work the same. Instead one will eat anything, one will choke and gag on anything but the very best, and another just won't work with any ammo, and will refuse to be fixed even by the builders themselves, and all 3 guns might have been made within the same hour... Pretty strange when you think about it. bob

Senior Moderator
    I'm not sure what you mean by "premium" .22 ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are maybe a cent and a half more per round than a lot of bulk ammo. When I hear "premium" I think of Wolf Match Extra, SK Plus, and just about anything by Eley.

But nearly all rimfires seem to have a favorite round they shoot better than the rest. Finding that particular round out of the scores available can be a chore or it can be a fun quest.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links