Which CCI round for SD in short barrel handgun??? - Page 2

Which CCI round for SD in short barrel handgun???

This is a discussion on Which CCI round for SD in short barrel handgun??? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep a SW MP 22 Compact in a convenient spot loaded with CCI mini mags, 40 gr solids as a just in case gun. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Which CCI round for SD in short barrel handgun???

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar

Which CCI round for SD in short barrel handgun???

I keep a SW MP 22 Compact in a convenient spot loaded with CCI mini mags, 40 gr solids as a just in case gun. Out of a short barrel, I too doubt that it is really going to make any difference anyway, but I know the 40 gr solid functions flawlessly in this particular pistol so thats the reason itís my 22 defensive round of choice.

Stingers are fine for pest control. But I want a heavy bullet that is going to penetrate reasonably well against a two legged threat. There is also the fact that stingers are a tiny bit longer so they present a problem in feeding properly in the really tiny pistols.

CCI Mini Mag 40 gr solids for the penetration and reliability factors every time in a 22 pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret and jstert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    @Smitty901

Interesting but you can't compare anything shot from a rifle to the same anything shot from a short barrel handgun. Even the Lucky Gunner video which is the next post on this thread shows better penetration when there is only 2" more barrel involved.

We each carry what we feel is best for us, given our abilities to shoot various guns and calibers. Would I carry a larger round than a .380 if I could? You betcha, and I did for many years.
    I am not for or against a .22lr. Just something most would not think could happen in that video. As for a hand gun at close range you can see similar results. I have killed many larger raccoons and 25 to 50 yards with a simple 22lr revolver. Even a few coyote over the years.
    I know a man that was shot with .22lr 7 times and took the gun away then beat that shooter very badly. My father. Turn that around more than one bear has been killed with a .22. Many Deer poachers use .22 .
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Did not want to get into that discussion..I picked up on that right away. But hoped I could stimulate some thought. My Dad always said a closed mind can only be opened from within. Looks like I should have heeded that . I am very comfortable carrying a good .22 with where I am at, and how I live my life.. I am in my own home or in very safe quiet places almost exclusively , and at this point in my life we are never in any other places really, unless a maniac comes into a grocery store on free seniors coffee and donuts tuesdays at Price chopper and starts shooting . Could happen I guess, but I still shoot .22 better than most other calibers, and to me, 10 fast rounds of good HV .22Lr placed well is no joke.

To get on with the actual reason I posted, any ballistic gel tests I could find with short barrels were pretty much in disagreement with the prevailing wisdom..

40 gr Hollow Point CCI Velocitor had the best penetration over all other .22LR rounds from what I saw, Better than Stingers... A few were close, but not many..
    CCI Mini Mags 40 gr round nose were about middle of the pack.. The tests were done through 2 inch and 4 inch barrels, and there is a HUGE difference in that 2 inches of steel tubing!....
    So, hollow point or no, I am going to buy a single box of Velocitors to have on hand, and yes I will carry them in my .22 carry guns with confidence... thanks to all.... bob
    At least my conscious is clear. Good luck.
    ETXhiker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    At least my conscious is clear. Good luck.
    You needn't have commented at all.. I get it, the .22LR is not considered a serious SD round.. Understood.. however, in the original post I said I understood that, did not want to go there, and that the times I do carry a .22 I am 100% comfortable with it.. I just wanted opinions on the ammo choices , NOT a lecture as to why I should not even be considering endangering my life by having it in my pocket.. Sorry if I don't feel I need to have .357 on me when I am at my 7 year old grandsons soccer games, while my wife is always alongside me and is carrying a .380 Sig with Hornady SD ..
    I wanted a discussion on .22LR ballistics, penetration through short barrels, etc, thats all... bob
    jstert likes this.

Don't feel bad- I am standing in line at my local Freddy's Burgers and only have an NAA Mini .22 SHORT with CCI 29 gr HV Solids in the watch pocket of my jeans. Discrete carry at its ultimate.
    Cuda66 likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Don't feel bad- I am standing in line at my local Freddy's Burgers and only have an NAA Mini .22 SHORT with CCI 29 gr HV Solids in the watch pocket of my jeans. Discrete carry at its ultimate.
    I had the NAA .22 LR-.22WMR with the bit longer barrel. 1 5/8 inch I bought it to carry at times,,, However I recently sold it to help fund the LCPII .22LR I just bought.. NOT because it was not a good carry round, or because i felt "inadequate" with it.. I simply shot it like crap.. Could not hit a thing with that gun.. SO well made, and so cool, but I was just wildly inaccurate with it.. Some guys shoot them pretty well.. not me..

The NAA would have been perfect as a very discrete carry piece with the .22 wmr, but one has to be confident in his ability to hit the target when needed.. My NAA could not do that for me personally... bob
    jstert likes this.

IF I were to use a .22 LR for SD it would be the 40 gr CCI Velociter. My reason is I have shot quite a few Velociters over the years and have yet to have a dud. I have had (5) duds in one box of CCI Mini-Mags. Also the Velociter has much better terminal results on 4 legged critters than the Mini-mags for me. YMMV
    jstert likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You needn't have commented at all.. I get it, the .22LR is not considered a serious SD round. I gave you a recommendation for a .22 LR round and merely confirmed what you already know about the seriousness of said round. . Understood.. however, in the original post I said I understood that, did not want to go there, and that the times I do carry a .22 I am 100% comfortable with it.. I just wanted opinions on the ammo choices , NOT a lecture as to why I should not even be considering endangering my life by having it in my pocket.. Sorry if I don't feel I need to have .357 on me when I am at my 7 year old grandsons soccer games, while my wife is always alongside me and is carrying a .380 Sig with Hornady SD ..
    I wanted a discussion on .22LR ballistics, penetration through short barrels, etc, thats all... bob

I hereby apologize to my dearly departed dad.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    It beats harsh language...but just barely.
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    IF I were to use a .22 LR for SD it would be the 40 gr CCI Velociter. My reason is I have shot quite a few Velociters over the years and have yet to have a dud. I have had (5) duds in one box of CCI Mini-Mags. Also the Velociter has much better terminal results on 4 legged critters than the Mini-mags for me. YMMV
    I went to Sportmans warehouse today to buy a box.. they didn't have any!.. They had like 10 different types of .22 short, and some standard CCI Mini mags, CB caps, low noise, all that type of stuff, but no velocitors... Boy the CCI stuff is expensive.. Getting close to $10 a box around here.... bob

I get them at Academy for about $6-$7 a box. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I really like my new LCPII .22 LR.. I will be carrying it here and there, in a rotation that includes a 9 mm, .380, .32 acp, and another .22 LR pocket gun[Beretta 21A] I shoot my .22 as well or better than my other carry guns.
    I do not feel undergunned with a good .22 with good ammo.. We are in a quiet peaceful place in a rural area, never in cities or dangerous places, there is virtually no violent crime in my area, and we are retired and never go out at night anymore anyway, and if we do go out at all during the day , my wide and I are always together and we both carry.. Only mentioning all this because 98% of the time, these type of threads degrade in a tirade against the OP for being so stupid as to dare and carry a .22... I just don't want this thread to go there if I can help it.. There are better calibers than .22 for SD, I understand that.

In any case, I have CCI Mini Mags in the gun now. Have several hundred rounds on hand.. Also have a box or two of Stingers, which I was going to use when carrying either .22 mouse gun.
    However, I have had some folks tell me that the CCI Velocitor is the better SD round in a small .22..

From the narrative others have related, it seems that through the short barrel the Stingers simply can't develop the velocity they are capable of.. If what I read is correct, the Velocitor is 40 grain, the Stringers are 36 grain, and although on paper the Stinger is "faster", in reality the increased mass of the Velocitor results in substantially more penetration in most ballistics tests, both professional/official and those on YT with guys using wet telephone books.. One guy put it this way- "Weight trumps speed"... Just wondering if thats correct .

Some say the Mini Mags are a good compromise , but buying a box or two of Velocitors strictly for use when I carry a .22 is no problem, even if its only marginally better than the Mini mag.. Would like some opinions from those that know more about .22 LR ballistics and penetration than I do... bob
    In the 70's when CCI stingers first came out , they were designed to help recover some of the velocity lost in a revolver. CCI found out they were also good on varmints, etc... I have used them since the mid 70's, and been very happy with them. I think I remember Velocitors coming out in the 90's. And they give nearly the same performance, but with a 40 gr bullet. If I had them I'd use the Velocitor first and the Stingers second. But I would not be afraid to shoot CCI Mini Mag either.
    I have used a 22 as a tackle box gun for years. The only thing I have shot in self defense with it were snakes and a Skunk that would not take no for an answer. He wanted our bait. We chased him off several times before I shot it!
    But I have no doubt it would ward off the local weirdo's too! DR
    5lima30ret and jstert like this.

Did not want to get into that discussion.. I am very comfortable carrying a good .22 with where I am at, and how I live my life. Could happen I guess, but I still shoot .22 better than most other calibers, and to me, 10 fast rounds of good HV .22Lr placed well is no joke.
    I don't have any input on your original question as I don't know what ammo would be best. I just wanted to support your thoughts on your choice of carry weapon. We all do what we think is best for our own reasons even though it sometimes runs counter to the generally accepted norm.

I carried a .22 for years and now that I carry a 9mm I'm still undergunned according to many here. I don't care. I mainly choose by 1) Is it reliable? 2) Can I shoot it well? 3) Does it conceal well for me? I don't worry much about shear stopping power. But that's me, I'm not saying others won't see it differently. And I respect their choice even if it differs from mine. I'm not on a mission to convert anyone to my way of thinking.
    PAcanis, Bikenut and dangerranger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I don't have any input on your original question as I don't know what ammo would be best. I just wanted to support your thoughts on your choice of carry weapon. We all do what we think is best for our own reasons even though it sometimes runs counter to the generally accepted norm.

I carried a .22 for years and now that I carry a 9mm I'm still undergunned according to many here. I don't care. I mainly choose by 1) Is it reliable? 2) Can I shoot it well? 3) Does it conceal well for me? I don't worry much about shear stopping power. But that's me, I'm not saying others won't see it differently. And I respect their choice even if it differs from mine. I'm not on a mission to convert anyone to my way of thinking.
    Understood, and thanks for the reply.. there are lots of places I carry a 9mm, .380 or .32 acp before a .22,, however I feel perfectly secure with my .22's with good ammo, as they have been very reliable, and I shoot them better than most of my other guns.. I get testy when called on it sometimes I suppose, but I do know many of the ".22 is no good for SD" comments are well intentioned, with no malice..
    I know my life, my area, have a great deal of self awareness.. I feel secure playing soccer or baseball in my yard with the grandkids with 10 rounds of HV .22LR in my pocket.. Thats what I do these days mostly.
    Same when driving in the car with my wife to get coffee and donuts here in the quiet, tranquil crime free area we live...
    Its a sometimes carry/tackle box gun, to go along with my ""real"" carry weapons...

If I had to go to a city or good size town, especially at night, I would carry more firepower.. However, its been years since I was in a larger town or city at night, or even during the day for that matter..
    I am secure in the guns I choose to carry.. 10 well placed rounds of .22LR- If I were bad guy, I would want nothing to do with it... bob
    dangerranger and jstert like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links