Video concerning .22 LR SD effectiveness..

This is a discussion on Video concerning .22 LR SD effectiveness.. within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pretty interesting.. I know it won't change any minds, and thats fine, but I was pretty impressed myself. I only wish he would have not ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Video concerning .22 LR SD effectiveness..

Pretty interesting.. I know it won't change any minds, and thats fine, but I was pretty impressed myself. I only wish he would have not done the test point blank, and maybe did it at say 5-7 yards.. Still an eye opener concerning the damage good HiV .22 can inflict... bob

I don't trust anything smaller than a 9mm Parabellum for self-defense. I only trust a 9mm Parabellum for bad breath fighting distances.

My preferred urban carry gun is a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. Other carry options include striker fired .40 S&W pistols for more capacity and revolvers in .357 magnum or .44 magnum for rural or woods carry.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I don't trust anything smaller than a 9mm Parabellum for self-defense. I only trust a 9mm Parabellum for bad breath fighting distances.

My preferred urban carry gun is a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. Other carry options include striker fired .40 S&W pistols for more capacity and revolvers in .357 magnum or .44 magnum for rural or woods carry.
    yep, as I stated, its not going to change any minds. Still interesting however.. bob
    10thmtn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like that he used meat rather than Jell-O.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Which proves an old adage from my Grandad....we don't want to get shot with anything.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

22LR?

No doubt more effective than harsh words.

Not something I'd depend on, though.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Before the advent of 9mm frangible bullets, the Israelis used Beretta .22 pistols to good effect against highjackers. When you shoot the head the caliber doesn’t matter much.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadger View Post
    Which proves an old adage from my Grandad....we don't want to get shot with anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Before the advent of 9mm frangible bullets, the Israelis used Beretta .22 pistols to good effect against highjackers. When you shoot the head the caliber doesn’t matter much.

A rock to the head at pointblank range is also effective, but I don't carry a rock.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

The problem with just about any handgun ammunition, is velocity. Below around 2,200 fps, the temporary stretch cavity is not going to rip and tear, thereby producing significant amounts of tissue damage and rapid loss of blood. Unless you hit a major artery, the perp is going to take a little bit of time to bleed out. So that leaves multiple hits and/or hits to the central nervous system, the spinal column, or major skeletal structures to drop a perp quickly. In view of these problems with handgun ammunition, one would think that a larger projectile offers a better chance at producing enough damage to the target to put him on the ground more quickly than a smaller projectile.

Shooting someone with a handgun using quality SD ammunition is no guarantee that the BG is going to drop right away and cease to be a problem to your continued existence. So what must you do? I would propose using the most powerful caliber and load that you can handle effectively and consistently in delivering rounds to target and that fits your specific wants, needs, and requirements as a carry arm. Be that a .45ACP, a .40S&W, a .357 Magnum, a 9mm, a .380ACP, or even a .22LR handgun is entirely up to the individual. The manufacturers, the gun writers, and the gun websites have all done their best to impart a good knowledge base from which to draw upon for help in taking one's decision. But it does all boil down to the individual and what he perceives as the best combination for him.
    G-man*, PAcanis, Bikenut and 2 others like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

All handgun bullets have failed! I think you are increasing your odds by using heavy bullets and by increasing the velocity. But I have shot enough farm animals with a .22 short, that I know they will kill.
    I am not as impressed with the segmented rounds, as the maker of this video. I think a bullet that holds together would do more damage than the little Bird Shot wounds the fragments make.
    I also think the maker of the video made a mistake by not including the skin. Skin is an incredibly tough part of the body. It sucks up a lot of bullet energy. At the hospital and morgue they find a lot of bullets caught in the skin on the far side of the body.

So will a 22 kill? yes it will. Will it drive off most attackers? Probably. No one wants to be shot, not even with a 22.
    Is the 22 a fight ender? If you are up against someone who is determined to fight no matter if you shoot them or not. Then you have to hit a spot that will stop them quickly.

When I shoot a 1000 lb bull, he is confined in a squeeze chute. And I am above him where I can target his brain stem. If he was loose in a field I would need to target the thinner places on his skull. eye sockets, ear canal, etc.... Not so easy on a moving target. Or shoot a heavier bullet at much faster velocity! Something that will break legs, shoulders, or spines, so that even if he doesn't die instantly he can't run me down while he is dying.

So with a person you would be hoping that they would see the gun and decide to move on. That is probably effective most of the time. But when you get one who doesn't see the gun or one who doesn't care? Then YOU have to target those small areas on a charging bull! DR

It wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d almost rather have a shootable 10+1 of 22LR in a LCP over a 6+1 of 380 that is pretty snappy and harder to keep on target in a LCP. The new LCP22 looks like it could be a great pocket gun or ultra-deep carry.

A lot depends on what each of us does, and what are situations are... If I lived in a city, suburb. or was out at night I would not consider a .22.. Anywhere I might not feel comfortable.. I live in a tranquil crime free small town, in a rural very low crime county.. When I go to get gas here, or to the local Dollar General, its during broad daylight, and I feel 100% secure with a .22 w 10 rounds of CCI Mini Mag..

Other places. such as at church, or If I have to go out at night to a store which these days is very rare, I carry a .32 or a .380, or a 9mm...
    The most excitement i am likely to see these days is my 7 year old grandson scoring a goal in his soccer games. Yeah I carry there as well, but often these days its a .22 in pocket.

I understand the thought process of "bigger is better", but I will always feel the .22 you have in your pocket is better than the .45 thats at home..

.22 is not ideal, but in my mind its acceptable ,especially if you will always have it with you, and you can shoot it with accuracy..

I shoot .22 better than I shoot larger calibers.. Probably why i don't condemn it out of hand as a SD option... bob
    10thmtn likes this.

I remember back in the years before the inet and explosion of gun channels, most old timers kept a 22 rifle or pistol handy as a do it all gun.
    And not knowing any better, they used those damn things for small game, vermin, target practice, predators, putting down livestock, and even self defense.

But thank goodness we now have the inet to correct and tell us better....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

It only has to matter the one carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    A rock to the head at pointblank range is also effective, but I don't carry a rock.
    They made head shots while moving in a crowded aircraft cabin. Not point blank at all. They were skilled.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links