Scope for .22?

Scope for .22?

This is a discussion on Scope for .22? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am sure there have been many discussions about scopes for .22s in the past, but there are many new scopes available and I have ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Scope for .22?

Scope for .22?

I am sure there have been many discussions about scopes for .22s in the past, but there are many new scopes available and I have a question in regards to what might work.

I know that most centerfire rifle scopes are NOT suitable for use on a .22 due to parallax issues, i.e. parallax is set at 100 yards or more. My question today is although I know that most centerfire scopes have their parallax set for 100 yards, wouldn't a low power variable optic (LPVO) like this Vortex Strike Eagle work since you can dial the magnification down to a very close range and your targets are in focus? I want a decent quality scope and don't mind paying for one, since I plan to use this for turkey hunting here in Utah (rimfires are legal to use here for that application). I don't want a scope that is so cheap it has issues.

Scope for .22?-vortex.jpg
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

I wouldn't use that one. There are plenty of high quality .22 scopes out there that would be a better option. With a .22 spefic scope you can use the full range of magnification without the parallax issues. I've had a Simmons 3-9 22Mag for 20+ years and have no need to find something else. Cabelas has Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon scopes for less than $200. I'd save the money and get the scope for the intended purpose.

The best general use scope I have found for rimfire is a Leopold 2x7 . It has clear glass, coated lenses, and has its parallax set for 50 yards. but you can have Leopold reset any of their scopes for use on a rimfire.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfire-scopes

The street price on the first two are around $200.

For general use plinking I have been happy with much less scopes. I have used both Burris and Simmons low powered scopes and been pleased. They are around the $100 mark. I will say this, Cheaper scopes have gotten a lot better.
    For the extra $100 leopold gives you a clear view edge to edge, and coating that gather that last bit of usable light.
    I use leopold on my hunting guns.and the cheaper for plinking guns and short range varmint shooting. Ground squirrels are mostly only out on bright sunny days. They watch for the shadows of predator birds. So I don't need a scope that draws in the last bit of light to shoot them well. Good Luck, DR

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have only used a fixed power for 22s, for me there just was no need for one as most of the critters I were after were never more than 100yds so I stuck with Redfield or weaver. Now for my 25-06 thats when I needed that extra long range to look out and pick the big game to feed my family but thats just me and there are so many options to suit ones plan and success.

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    I would go with this Vortex scope for a new rimfire gun. The Leupold ones are good alternatives as well.

I've had a number of 22 scopes over the years from cheapos to pricey Leupolds.

My favorites have been a pair of Weavers, RV-7 and RV-9. Not cheap but not Leupold expensive.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Senior Moderator
    What gun are you mounting it on? If it's a bolt gun, bolt handle clearance can be a problem.

There are a lot of scopes available these days that have adjustable objectives (AO) to minimize parallax error. Some newer models offer side-focus knobs which is a real convenience.

For sighting in my rimfire scopes and comparing ammo performance, I use the Rimfire Central Benchrest target with 2" OD and 1/2" center. For 50 yards, 9x is the minimum power I'd want, and 12x for 100 yards.

Nikon has some good bargains right now because they're getting out of the riflescope business. The Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO on my .22 WMR has sharper glass than the Leupolds I looked at costing $150 more.
    Attached Files
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have had good luck with the Simmons 22 mag scopes they are designed for .22's work well and are inexpensive! I actually prefer them over a Redfield which has gone downhill in recent years!
    G26Raven, hogdaddy and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

With the quality of scopes up and prices down now days why not go with a scope that allows you to adjust parallax. You maybe happy you did. Cut corners on the rifle if you must. you can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the right scope the first time once you do you are stuck with it.

Ruger RP rimfire .22 Vortex Diamonback 6-24X50 This .22 can use it Parallax adjustment works great

Attachment 327682
    G26Raven, hogdaddy and BamaT like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Mueller and Pentax also make some real nice .22 scopes for not a lot of $$!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have always preferred a straight 4 power on a .22 rifle. Fast and light and not much need for more magnification in my opinion. Your not taking game at 400 yards.
    If this is to end in fire then we should all burn together.

My Simmons 3x9 is great on my Savage bolt gun ; )
    H/D
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    I've got a pair of Simmons "22 Mag" 3-9x32 scopes. one with AO, one without. They are an excellent value and even come with rings!

Where they fall down is in the clarity of the glass. I had one on the 10/22 I used for my Appleseed Event, and with the intensity of the event you spend hours peering through a scope (assuming your rifle is so equipped). At the end of both days, I had a pretty bad eye headache. I've since moved up to higher-quality glass (commensurately more expensive) and long sessions at the bench have not caused the same headaches. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

One Simmons is currently unassigned and the other is on a Winchester 320 which only gets occasional, non-intense use. It's perfect for that.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I just mounted the 3-9 VXI from my AR on the new Savage 93 22Mag. Now I need some range time to get it sighted in.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I just mounted the 3-9 VXI from my AR on the new Savage 93 22Mag. Now I need some range time to get it sighted in.
    Not familiar with the VXI. Who makes that?
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links