Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun? - Page 2

Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?

This is a discussion on Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun? within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beeman P1 pistol, grip close to that of a 1911. Definitely an adult air gun. Before I had any serious handguns, I put probably 20,000 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?

Senior Moderator
    Beeman P1 pistol, grip close to that of a 1911. Definitely an adult air gun. Before I had any serious handguns, I put probably 20,000 rounds through this gun in my basement. You don't get to practice followup shots, but draw and shoot or shoot from low ready at nickel-sized targets at maybe 20 feet gets you used to sight picture and trigger press.

I wore out a Crosman 760 pump-up airgun after a decade of good service keeping squirrels and destructive chipmunks out of my landscaping. Accuracy was decent as it had a rifled barrel, and I discovered Beeman Silver Jet pellets (sadly discontinued) which gave great results on the targeted pests.

The Crosman's successor was an RWS 34 spring piston gun, which launches a .177 pellet at close to 1000 ft/sec. Good entry-level springer but it seemed like every time I picked it up I had to re-zero the scope, which was annoying. I upped my game with a Beeman R9 (= Weihrauch HW95) and that's where I stopped, for now. About as powerful as the RWS 34, but more refined and it gives more consistent results downrange. The local pigeon population on my street was nearly eradicated for a decade by my "suburban sniping" out to 50 yards. Unfortunately, it's too powerful (and loud) for my small back yard and some snoopy neighbors. A quality springer like the R9's less-powerful R7 sibling in the 650 ft/sec range would probably be ideal.

FWIW, the R9 is the most accurate gun I own, within its practical range.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    I have a Benjamin 397P with a Williams peep sight. Very accurate with certain pellets. I purchased it in 1993 or 1994.

I've taken about 8 squirrels this year. Those tree rats are constantly trying to get into my attic!

Also shoot some spinners in the back yard...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

I have a Crossman 2240 .22 cal CO2 pistol that is quite accurate! I use it mainly for dispatching water moccasins that try to get in the pool. Works very effectively! There is a cult following of them with all kinds of mods available but mine is bone stock. Best $60 I have spent on Amazon in a while!
    MMinSC likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I have a Crossman 2240 .22 cal CO2 pistol that is quite accurate! I use it mainly for dispatching water moccasins that try to get in the pool. Works very effectively! There is a cult following of them with all kinds of mods available but mine is bone stock. Best $60 I have spent on Amazon in a while!
    This one?
    https://www.airgundepot.com/2240.html

I have been looking into pistols/rifles lately and trying to decide on a pistol.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I've got a .177 Baikal IZH target pistol and a Walther match air rifle. Both are incredibly accurate pieces. I've learned a lot shooting them and really refined breathing, trigger control, and follow-through skills. They're fun and cheap to shoot into a box of duct putty in my basement. Air guns highly recommended.
    Still Clingin'

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    The Red Ryder my buddy has is about 30 years old. Not much power left in that thing. Almost seems like I can outrun it. My Model 25 pump action is okay. It is just one shotgun style pump to cock it, so a little more powerful than the Red Ryder series. Back in the 20s or whenever it came out, it was the most powerful bb gun made. Really not saying much though. I think it is about 450 fps or so?
    I've got my dads he bought in 1955 or so, plus two red ryders of my own. One I use with no front sight for Quick Kill rifle skills practice, like this. It sits at the back door at the ready.

MMinSC likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    This one?
    https://www.airgundepot.com/2240.html

I have been looking into pistols/rifles lately and trying to decide on a pistol.
    Yep, that is the one! It has trigger that is very nice out of the box!
    MMinSC likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Im contemplating on getting one just to goof around the back yard
    MMinSC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Any recommendations for taking down some roof rats?? Too many neighbors cats to put out traps at night.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I have 4, 2 for me to practice, 2 for my kids to learn to shoot.
    My kids are learning on a (Umarex) Walther PPK/S and A Red Ryder both .177 BBs.
    When I shoot with them, I'm using the Sig P320 and MCX, also both .177 but both can shoot pellets or BBs.
    The kids love the obstacle courses I build on my porch, and I get some practice shooting in odd positions and while working out.
    AzQkr and MMinSC like this.

My current collection of .22 air/Co2 arms:

And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I just ordered an Avanti/Daisy 853. These are the 10 meter sporter competition models with the Lothar Walther barrel, peep sights, single pump. I ordered used from the CMP for $105, tested and rebuilt if needed. The 853 sells for $340 or so new, so I am happy to pay $100. Hopefully the CMP will accept my membership in the Garand Collectors Association as a club membership requirement like they did with my M1 purchase. If that requirement needs to be air gun specific, not sure what the solution will be.

It should be a perfect for my needs. 500+ fps is fine for me, I live in a city and my back yard is decent but not large. I am mostly concerned with accuracy vs power, target shooting not pest or anything. It is also supposed to be quiet. Again good for where I live. I also like it being a single pump- less work.

This is the CMP Sporter Competition Air Rifle page:
    Sporter Air Rifles - Civilian Marksmanship Program

They also offer precision and pistol air guns but they are all new.
    AzQkr, Wolf357 and 5lima30ret like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Administrator
    Great Thread.

Keep it rolling on.

msgt/ret likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Love this thread. A crossman 760 .177 caliber air rifle I got when I was in the single didgets is probalby why I love guns today. I eventually wore it out, I spent countless hours in the basement shredding soda cans in front of a pellet trap. My first hunting experience was with that gun at 7 or 8 years old, when my dad took me rabbit hunting in strip of woods behind our subdivision. I actually killed one with it.

About 5 years ago I married my stepson's mother. He was about 14 and had little firearms experience. Remembering how much fun I had with my air rifle I bought him a crosssman mk177. Basically just a tacticlool version of what my 760 was. He likes video games so I figured that style would interest him more than me. Instead of buying one I decided to get myself one too. I bought a pellet trap, and we started turning soda cans into mangled sharp messes.

He is 19 now, and recently made his first firearms purchase on his own. It worked. He is one of us now.

Here's a pic of mine. It doesn't have a rear sight because I was using the carry handle off my AR 15 which I needed back on my AR15.
    msgt/ret, Wolf357 and MMinSC like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

All right after reading and posting in this thread y’all are responsible for causing me to order a Crosman Custom 2300KT; I chose the .177 barrel instead of the .22 for the higher velocity and greater choice in pellets.
    Wolf357 and MMinSC like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links