Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?

This is a discussion on Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun? within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been playing with the old Daisy BB guns lately. My 2 year old son has a friend that was born the same week. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?

I have been playing with the old Daisy BB guns lately. My 2 year old son has a friend that was born the same week. It is just so happens that the other boy's dad is my hunting/fishing buddy and we live a few blocks apart. When the boys head inside for dinner or some before bed cartoons, my buddy and I do some plinking with the BB guns. Been using an archaic Red Ryder and my Daisy 25 pump. Lots of fun.

I have been considering stepping up my BB gun game. Maybe a little 5 meter target shooting. Yes, I realize that is a competition for children but something fun to do in the backyard. Plus as the boys grow older, I will have everything set up. Thinking about buying a Daisy/Avanti Champion 499 for the 5 meter. Supposedly the most accurate bb gun made. Looks like fun.

Anyone else do any BB/pellet plinking?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I have a Daisey Powerline 880 rifle and about 10,000 rounds of ammo.
    MMinSC and craze like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I picked up a Red Rider a while back to keep the grand kids occupied. I toss a stick into the canal and we shoot at it. They do pretty well, although cocking the rifle is a stretch for them. I amaze them with my ability to hit the stick, but them I had an entire youth to learn that trick.

The new ones don't have near the power of the old ones. It will bare reach across the canal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Today I used my Crosman 1377, that I bought in the early 80s, to dispatch a schickmunk that survived the trap he was stuck in.
    MMinSC, 5lima30ret and Rabbit212 like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Administrator
    There seem to be some incredible BB & Pellet handguns out there these days.

Any member that has any purchase suggestion regarding any specific models that they own - this would be a great place to provide that information.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC and Struckat like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I picked up a Red Rider a while back to keep the grand kids occupied. I toss a stick into the canal and we shoot at it. They do pretty well, although cocking the rifle is a stretch for them. I amaze them with my ability to hit the stick, but them I had an entire youth to learn that trick.

The new ones don't have near the power of the old ones. It will bare reach across the canal.
    The Red Ryder my buddy has is about 30 years old. Not much power left in that thing. Almost seems like I can outrun it. My Model 25 pump action is okay. It is just one shotgun style pump to cock it, so a little more powerful than the Red Ryder series. Back in the 20s or whenever it came out, it was the most powerful bb gun made. Really not saying much though. I think it is about 450 fps or so?
    Struckat likes this.

I have a pellet gun I built from a kit long, long ago that I still enjoy shooting. I donít have enough room to use a powder powered gun but the airgun is just fine. A few years ago I had a problem with rats running up and down the hedge row and attacking the neighborís soybeans, really tough moving targets but great fun when you nail one.
    MMinSC, ddrew, Struckat and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

You can go to the Crosman site and build a custom 1377 or 1322.
    Mine has lasted 40 years for $39.99 they cost a little more now.
    MMinSC and QKShooter like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There seem to be some incredible BB & Pellet handguns out there these days.

Any member that has any purchase suggestion regarding any specific models that they own - this would be a great place to provide that information.
    I donít know if they are still made but I have a Webley Hurricane that is over 30 years old that still has plenty of power.

Here is a pic I found online.
    Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?-webley-hurricane-22.jpg
    MMinSC, Struckat and QKShooter like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I had a Benjamin .177 pellet rifle. Nitro piston, about 1000 FPS. Very accurate, powerful & reasonably priced. Had to sell it after a few years because the cocking of it was a struggle due to arthritis in my arm. More info here:
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benja...Air_Rifle/2052
    msgt/ret, MMinSC and QKShooter like this.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

This is the Daisy model 25 I use. Stock photo, mine is at my buddies' garage down the street currently. Daisy made it from the teens until the seventies. Every once in a while they bring it back. Fun and simple gun

.Anyone shoot BB/Pellet guns for fun?-daisy25.jpg

This will likely be my next purchase. It is a Daisy Avanti 499 Champion. This rifle is made for only one purpose- 5 meter competition (the NRA calls it 16 feet). I think it will be fun to play with in the backyard and I will have it for when my son is older. AFAIK, 5 meter is the youngest age shooting competition? The rifle itself is pretty neat and is claimed to be the most accurate BB gun made. Supposedly 5 shots inside a LifeSaver candy at 16 feet. This is a single shot that loads through the muzzle. It is recommended to use special BBs that are precision ground. From reviews, the good BBs will take about 3 or 4 seconds to roll down the barrel while regular grade BBs will drop quick. Surprisingly, this has a slower FPS than a Red Ryder at 250. It really is made for just 5 meter target shooting and not much else.

I think it would be fun to have a bb gun this accurate.

Name:  avanti.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  2.7 KB
    msgt/ret, Bikenut and QKShooter like this.

I don't have any backstop firearm worthy so in the backyard I have a water bottle, a pop can, and a cheap skillet hanging from a tree at 16 yards. Then at 52 yards a water bottle, a pop can, and the sheet metal side of an old bar b que are hanging for a tree. Then at 100 yards I have another piece of sheet metal.

The close targets and the 52 yd targets are fun with one of my Daisy Red Ryders. Very difficult to hit a pop can at 52 yds.

I shoot at all three with the Winchester 77XS pellet rifle limiting myself to just 4 pumps to make the 100 yd target a challenge.

That is outside the house. During bad weather I shoot the BB gun and the old Crossman pellet rifle from the kitchen table at targets stuck on a piece of sheet metal at 5yds. I also took the wire frame of a political yard sign and hung table spoons from it. Pellets make those spoons spin nicely and so do the BB's but the BB's ricochet off those spoons something fierce going everywhere.

There are BB's all over the house including under the stove and 'fridge.

And then there is the airsoft pistol and those plastic BB's.....
    msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

I have a Gamo .177 pellet rifle that I would probably shoot more often if I could retrofit it with a better trigger. I also have a steel Gamo pellet trap that holds cardboard targets.

I also have a Webley Tempest .177. Legend has it that one of the Watergate burglars carried one of these, loaded with a poison dart. I don't know if that's true, but it adds a bit of interest to the gun.

I really should set up a pellet range in my garage. I've forgotten how much fun they are.
    MMinSC and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I have a couple I play with often. I have a Daisy Red Rider - OldVet is right, nowhere near as powerful as they used to be - that I shoot around the back yard with just for fun. I also have a .177 and a .22 pellet rifle that I target practice and take out some pesky little critters with from time to time.

I enjoy shooting all of them.
    msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.
    Retired USAF E9
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links