Applyng ballistics using an airgun...

This is a discussion on Applyng ballistics using an airgun... within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a quick, short video where i was exploring drop compensation for a pellet, specifically the JSB Exact King Heavy 33.95 gr - and ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By Tangle
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By Nod
  • 1 Post By BentLink
  • 1 Post By colding
  • 1 Post By Nod

Thread: Applyng ballistics using an airgun...

Lead Moderator

This is a quick, short video where i was exploring drop compensation for a pellet, specifically the JSB Exact King Heavy 33.95 gr - and yeah that's the actual name . You can shoot airguns in places you couldn't and wouldn't dare shoot a firearm and that's what I'm doing here.

Due to the low BC and low velocities, pellets have a lot of arc in their trajectory and you may need more adjustment for range than you might expect, and for me that's part of the fun!

However I kinda cheated in this video; I'm using an ATN X-sight 4k Pro 5-20x scope which, among its many other features, has a built in ballistics calculator. Equally important it will link to a ATN Rangefinder and when you range the target, the rangefinder links the range and slope to the scope which then automatically sets the reticle to match the drop of the projectile, a pellet in my case.

I entered the pellet data into the scope and ranged several targets and started shooting. What we're looking for is vertical position, i.e. is the scope setting the reticle correctly for each of the three ranges...

We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Looks like just the thing to keep those terrorist chipmunks at bay.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Looks like just the thing to keep those terrorist chipmunks at bay.
    It'll do it for sure! I just wish I had some attacking every now and then!
    airslot and Rock and Glock like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nod
    That is impressive ! Nice shooting. I have the Marauder .25 and also use those pellets. I'm zeroed in @ 17 yds. and 27 yds. Most of my targets are between 25 & 35 yds so I'm within a 1/4". That is a nice rifle you've got there. May I ask how much that scope costs ?

Just looked it up, a bit out of my range.
    Tangle likes this.

I dig your pvc work on that stand
    Tangle likes this.
    Still Clingin'

****** Tangle! Now you got me trying to figure out how to come up with the money for a similar setup with that video!
    Tangle likes this.
    Glock 19 Glock 26 Springfield Armory XDS .45 Kahr CM9 S&W Shield 9MM

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Nod
    I just want to add, that I don't think a lot of PB shooters realize the fun and economic advantages of shooting pellet guns. Certainly it can get expensive but you can also enjoy it for a reasonable cost. You can shoot them indoors and they are a great training tool and are amazingly accurate. I should also say that they are also addictive just like any other hobby. But the fun and enjoyment out way the expense.
    Tangle likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by colding View Post
    ****** Tangle! Now you got me trying to figure out how to come up with the money for a similar setup with that video!
    I had to sell "several" guns to get the funds.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    I just want to add, that I don't think a lot of PB shooters realize the fun and economic advantages of shooting pellet guns. Certainly it can get expensive but you can also enjoy it for a reasonable cost. You can shoot them indoors and they are a great training tool and are amazingly accurate. I should also say that they are also addictive just like any other hobby. But the fun and enjoyment out way the expense.

That's true - I think we as gun owners have ignored the airgun and treated it as a toy. But as you point out they are accurate and can be shot in places we wouldn't think of shooting a firearm. The very same principles we use for firearms, applies to airguns. Hence the airgun can be used to hone skills far more frequently than most of us can go to a range with a firearm.

There are now international airgun competitions that range from benchrest to more conventional competitions. Airguns have plenty of power for small game at surprisingly long ranges sometimes.

Here's just one example, I should add, not every airgun and/or every person can do this - this is extreme, but...

in Gun Free Zones.

Sponsored Links