Ten shot groups for accuracy and velocity consistency...

This is a discussion on Ten shot groups for accuracy and velocity consistency... within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried to adjust the regulator pressure from 105 bar to 145 bar in 5 bar increments. That proved to be tougher to do than ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Ten shot groups for accuracy and velocity consistency...

Lead Moderator

I tried to adjust the regulator pressure from 105 bar to 145 bar in 5 bar increments. That proved to be tougher to do than anticipated. It can be done easily enough, but what's hard is getting the pressure exactly where you want it. I could get it adjusted where I wanted it, but as I shot it appears the regulator would change a bit as it reached a stable pressure point.

Nonetheless, I did get close in most cases and because you cannot reduce the pressure as readily as you can increase it, if I overshot the target pressure, I just went with that; it was usually pretty close.

The video is less than 4 minutes, so not too bad to watch.

I'm currently doing the same thing with Nielsen slugs (38.5 gr) but they're proving to be a bit problematic.
    G26Raven and ETXhiker like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

What type of air rifle is that? What is the distance to the target?
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    What type of air rifle is that? What is the distance to the target?
    FX Impact MK II - it's crazy expensive. I've started thinning my gun "herd" since there's no place for them to go should something happen to me, so after I sold enough shoulder kickers, I purchased this air rifle.

The range is just 25 yards. I wanted to remove wind effects as much as possible and using a short range is a good way to do that.

I did shoot it the other day at 50 and 100 yards I had a 5 shot sub MOA at both ranges - and to be honest some not so good groups as well - I'm still learning.
    G26Raven likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    FX Impact MK II - it's crazy expensive. I've started thinning my gun "herd" since there's no place for them to go should something happen to me, so after I sold enough shoulder kickers, I purchased this air rifle.

The range is just 25 yards. I wanted to remove wind effects as much as possible and using a short range is a good way to do that.

I did shoot it the other day at 50 and 100 yards I had a 5 shot sub MOA at both ranges - and to be honest some not so good groups as well - I'm still learning.
    That's pretty impressive for an air rifle!

I am in pretty much the same quandry as you when it comes to what do with my firearms when I am gone. I have a couple of nephews who like firearms, but all of them still live in California and most of my weapons are not California legal. I have a hunting buddy/mentor here who has been very kind to me and I will probably leave at least a few of them to him.

I thought about donating some to the NRA for them to sell for fundraising, but given their current shenanigans that is off the table. I'll have to check to see if GOA has a similar program.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    That's pretty impressive for an air rifle!

I am in pretty much the same quandry as you when it comes to what do with my firearms when I am gone. I have a couple of nephews who like firearms, but all of them still live in California and most of my weapons are not California legal. I have a hunting buddy/mentor here who has been very kind to me and I will probably leave at least a few of them to him.

I thought about donating some to the NRA for them to sell for fundraising, but given their current shenanigans that is off the table. I'll have to check to see if GOA has a similar program.
    Here's what I did...

I have no "inheritors" and I sure don't have access to a bunch of guys that would want to buy guns - especially not as fast as I wanted to sell them. In addition, I didn't want to mess with advertising, shipping, FFL's etc. soooo....

I went to Cabela's. It's a 16 mile trip so very reasonable and they buy guns - not ARs right now because AR's aren't selling right now. I knew going in I would not get the price I could get selling a gun to "someone", but I also would be completely free and clear of any and all responsibility, etc. Cabela's researches (while you're there) each gun from a number of resources and determines what they can sell your used gun for. They give you 65% of that price. For example, if they determine then can sell a gun for $500, you would get .65*500 = $325.

Again, you could sell if for more, IF you had someone that wanted to buy it. Even if you had that person, and you sold it to him, and it broke, etc. - he would come back to you. If I didn't know the guy, I would insist on a background check to be sure I'm not selling a gun to someone that is a felon, etc. Not so with Cabela's. Once they buy it, you're clear - they do all the legal stuff.
    G26Raven likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Tangle, I've sold some guns on Gunbroker with good success. That's certainly another possibility. A bit more of a hassle to be sure (packaging, shipping to an FFL, more paperwork), but you end up with more money at the end of the day.

VIP Member
    Half way between selling to a gun store and selling on GB yourself is having a trusted local FFL list the guns on GB for you. "Our guy" has been selling guns on GB for years and knows the process and how to present the photos and descriptions to show the guns to best advantage. He then takes care of the boxing and shipping to another FFL and you are personally out of the loop. Yes, GB charges a fee when a sale is made and yes, the local FFL we use charges a 10% commission also. However, we feel that we net more $$ that way.

Granted that the guns may wait several weeks or sometimes a bit longer before they are sold, so if you really want or need a fast sale, I guess @Tangle 's solution might be the best one.

Gramps used this method to sell some things a few months ago, including a rifle that brought way more money than he anticipated and his really old rock chucker reloading press, dies and other equipment. Going back farther in time, there was one shotgun that did not sell and Gramps found another local gun store that took it in trade for a different, new shotgun.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have no "inheritors" ...
    Me, me, me!
    Tangle likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links