Who hunts with their airguns? - Page 4

Who hunts with their airguns?

This is a discussion on Who hunts with their airguns? within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know, but excellent question Instymp. My brother-in-law has a .300 Blackout that is quieter than my Benjamin pump .177 air rifle. The ol' ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Who hunts with their airguns?

Senior Moderator
    I don't know, but excellent question Instymp. My brother-in-law has a .300 Blackout that is quieter than my Benjamin pump .177 air rifle. The ol' Benjamin has a harsh loud sound unlike a firearm using a propellant powder, but is bound to have a sound signature that is apparent to the neighbors. The folks behind me know, but they appreciate the reduction in unwanted vermin and are shooters themselves. The wife works at home, maintaining an office in the rear of their detached garage, and she frequently sees me and laughs at my antics "keeping the peace" in my backyard.
    msgt/ret, 336A and Struckat like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Nod
    Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    Not to steal the thread but a lot of knowledgeable air gunners here. BUT... what is the quietest air-pistol or rifle? My last one sounded like a 22 rifle, powder.
    Thanks.
    A Diana LP8 is quiet enough for discreet backyard shooting, and powerful enough for birds, but not for squirrels or rabbits. You'd need a PCP pistol for that. They aren't cheap though but very accurate and fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    Not to steal the thread but a lot of knowledgeable air gunners here. BUT... what is the quietest air-pistol or rifle? My last one sounded like a 22 rifle, powder.
    Thanks.
    Great question and I really donít know the answer to that. I know the Benjamin 2220 and 1720T PCP pistols are fairly quiet but I donít know if they are the quietest on the market. A lot of folks will put after market moderators on them and make them even quieter than they are and all sorts of other mods, like turning them into carbines.
    Instymp likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    All this stuff is inspiring!
    Iím here to inspire you to your little heartís content or be the enabler extraordinaire hehehe. I was oblivious to how far airguns have come and now I find myself immersed in it. As I was telling a guy at work thatís always pestering me to come and shoot his firearms with him, they just donít do it for me like they used to. It is great being able to shoot in your backyard were legal of course and not make a loud racket just quietly plinking away. Regardless of whether your shooting an airgun or a firearm the fundamentals and principles still apply, actually the airgun allows for more trigger time and cheaper to boot a win win in my estimation.

The biggest eye opener for me was how loud the impact of the pellet is when hitting a squirrel, I was shocked the first time how loud that pop was. Now due to safety reasons I actually come to prefer using an airgun over a .22 rim fire especially when having to shoot up into a tree. Another coworker just stares in amazement at how quiet my .177 Marauder is, I have nick named it the ice pick. Squirrels donít stand a chance against it.
    msgt/ret, bmcgilvray, Nod and 1 others like this.

Here is the latest bushy tail, it fell to my .25 Marauder using H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme pellets at 30 yards. As you can see from the shoulders itís devastating against squirrels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who hunts with their airguns?-5cbfb2c8-cafa-49ae-aa4d-5143d7851e12.jpeg  

msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and MMinSC like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 336A View Post
    Here is the latest bushy tail, it fell to my .25 Marauder using H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme pellets at 30 yards. As you can see from the shoulders itís devastating against squirrels.
    The pic didn't make it...
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    The biggest eye opener for me was how loud the impact of the pellet is when hitting a squirrel, I was shocked the first time how loud that pop was.
    I miss popping squirrels (none down here in the AZ flatlands) - drilling urban pigeons is like shooting into a pillow, with no satisfying 'smack' to let you know your pellet connected.
    msgt/ret, 336A and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

There hopefully that worked. Itís in a salt water solution for 24 hours which I always do before they go in the freezer.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I miss popping squirrels (none down here in the AZ flatlands) - drilling urban pigeons is like shooting into a pillow, with no satisfying 'smack' to let you know your pellet connected.
    I understand where your coming from as I havenít been able to deer hunt since retiring from the service and moving to a new place. Because of that I began to look at the smaller things close to home.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Fire up the grill hunting isnít catch and release

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm ...

First I've heard of velocity limitations for pellets.

What about all these pellet rifles that tout even higher velocities than 1000 fps?

1000 fps, or even the 900 fps would do for my purposes. My pump Benjamin will shoot through a rabbit or squirrel most times with body hits or exit the other side of a 'coon's skull and that's at 750 fps. Like any other gun type, experimentation with styles of pellets makes a difference.
    With spring-cocking airguns, the problem lurking with advertised high velocities is that they are typically generated using very light pellets, which very likely allows the gun to "Diesel" - compression ignition of the trace oil used to lubricate the piston seals. If that happens repeatedly, it can be destructive to the seals, possibly more. You're absolutely right, one needs to experiment with styles and weights of pellets to find which works best with the particular gun.
    msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and 336A like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I've heard of diesel-ing and the reason behind it, but never observed it.

This is a gem of a little thread. Air rifles could easily become another rabbit hole.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC, 336A and 2 others like this.

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Air rifles could easily become another rabbit hole.
    Especially with the customs. This guy does really net stuff.
    AIRGUNS
    336A, bmcgilvray and Struckat like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Air rifles could easily become another rabbit hole
    Be very very careful my friend, the hole is very deep with no end in sight.
    Nod and bmcgilvray like this.

I've heard of diesel-ing and the reason behind it, but never observed it.

This is a gem of a little thread. Air rifles could easily become another rabbit hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With spring-cocking airguns, the problem lurking with advertised high velocities is that they are typically generated using very light pellets, which very likely allows the gun to "Diesel" - compression ignition of the trace oil used to lubricate the piston seals. If that happens repeatedly, it can be destructive to the seals, possibly more. You're absolutely right, one needs to experiment with styles and weights of pellets to find which works best with the particular gun.
    Also when it comes to springers and gas piston guns they typically do their best with the medium weight pellets. Where the variable pump pneumatics and pre charged pneumatics (PCP) guns will provide more power with the heavier pellets to a point. But as gasmitty made note of you have to test various pellets to see what your particular gun likes just like firearms.

Then there are other issues that will drive you insane. For instance I really like JSB pellets for field target work. Lately there has been some quality issues with them as the head size and weight variance is all over the place. This cause weird and unexplainable fliers on the target and is quite maddening, this has caused me to make the switch over to H&N pellets now.

Some folks will go to a whole nother level and weigh and measure their pellets to the nearest second decimal, I donít have the time or patience for that.
    Nod, bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Especially with the customs. This guy does really net stuff.
    AIRGUNS
    Eye-opening prices!

Eye-opening air guns!
    msgt/ret, 336A and MMinSC like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links