Who hunts with their airguns?

This is a discussion on Who hunts with their airguns? within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering who here hunts with their airguns here. I have been using a Benjamin .22 Maximus with JSB Hades pellets with very good results, ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Who hunts with their airguns?

Just wondering who here hunts with their airguns here. I have been using a Benjamin .22 Maximus with JSB Hades pellets with very good results, the squirrels donít stand a chance when the Hades hits home.
    Old Man, BamaT and goldshellback like this.

Senior Moderator
    I controlled the prolific squirrel population in my previous CT yard and neighbor's with a .177 air rifle. Our area was heavily treed, principally with oaks, some of which were 150+ years old, creating generous nesting opportunities for the bushytails. My neighbor's sweet old wife loved to feed birds in the winter, and spillage from her feeders was a magnet for squirrels. Neighbor Charlie had no problem with me keeping squirrels away from his wife's feeders. Our adjacent properties totalled an acre and once I stepped up to an RWS 34 with a good scope, a clear shot on a squirrel's head within 35 yards or so meant a fresh chew toy for my Lab. Ammo of choice was the 8.4 gr Beeman Silver Jet, sadly discontinued.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

After hydroseeding our yard for a new lawn, the rabbits thought they were in heaven. More than once, when sweeping the just-sprouting lawn with my flashlight, the beam caught no fewer than seven rabbits racing to avoid the light. That's when I decided to help a few actually get to heaven. A .30 caliber pellet from my RAW PCP rifle does the work. It just takes one JSB 50gr. to the head at 55 yards, at night with only a single flashlight (not mounted on the rifle) illuminating the target, not even a step before hitting the ground. Since the coyotes and owls passed, the previous night's hunt was bagged and into the trash can in the morning. Seeing their compadres dropped has slowed down the bunnies but not stopped. When the rain stops and the ground has dried out enough to walk on, I'll pick up the pace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member

Not exactly hunting, more like pest control. I use my pellet rifle to try to control the local tree rats.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Nod
    I keep the rabbit population down with my Diana 34 in .22 cal or my favorite, a Benjamin Marauder PCP .25 cal. Rabbit # 17 (for this year) ran through the yard last night so I'll be ready for him tonight. My record is 31 for the year with 3 at one time. Now that the nursery to the West of my house is being developed into 384 oversized, unnecessary houses, I expect the rabbits to pretty much disappear from the area.
    gasmitty and 336A like this.

VIP Member
    Pest control with an old Benjamin 397 .177 cal air gun.

I've thought about a .22 airgun, but I'm more comfortable with the lower energy .177 in the 'burbs. We have a 1 acre lot with lots of trees; the energy of a .177 pellet bleeds off more quickly that a .22 pellet, and I'm not making long shots - merely getting rid of squirrels that have their eyes on my attic.
    gasmitty and 336A like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    Now that the nursery to the West of my house is being developed into 384 oversized, unnecessary houses, I expect the rabbits to pretty much disappear from the area.
    Development, and its influx of its loving little kitty cats allowed to roam freely, have eliminated the quail, most of the rabbits, and the occasional turkey or bobcat from visiting my home. The squirrels, on the other hand, seem limitless. Then there was the flock of peacocks that strolled through once...
    msgt/ret and Nod like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    20-odd years ago I helped a church deal with (what I can only call an infestation of) pigeons in the eaves and bell tower. I chose to work at night with a spotlight and an old Sheridan .20 cal. air rifle. After taking out over 100 of the "flying rats" others came in to install steel screening to block access to the preferred nesting sites.

Primarily a pest control effort, but I did enjoy several nice pigeon pot pies (with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and chicken gravy in a pie crust). Only takes a few seconds to pop the breasts out of the birds, rinse, put them into a plastic bag to take home. Delicious!

Never had an air rifle when I was a kid. Had access to a .22 single shot rifle from the time I was 8 years old, which I used on barn pigeons, rats, rabbits, squirrels, stray cats, and everything else around the farm. Worked pretty good on bullfrogs in the creek at night, too. After weeks recovering from a bite I spent many days shooting every water moccasin that showed itself in or around our creek. I think a good air rifle would have done just as well. We kept a shotgun on the enclosed back porch to deal with foxes and badgers around the hen house at night.

My Crossman 2240 has accounted for several water moccasins this past year. .22 pellets work great and were pretty much 1 shot stops.
    336A likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Not deliberately going hunting with mine but the field next to me always has some type of grain growing and its fun sniping at the rats when I see them.
    BamaT, Nod, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Nod
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Not deliberately going hunting with mine but the field next to me always has some type of grain growing and its fun sniping at the rats when I see them.
    This brought back memories of when I was in high school in the late 50's. I grew up in a small north woods town in the UP of Michigan. Our town 'dump' was a gravel road outside of town and people just threw their garbage off to the sides of the road. Every once in awhile, the volunteer fire dept would burn the garbage to get rid of it. More often, we kids would set it on fire and there might be anywhere up to a dozen of us there with .22's and shotguns shooting the rats as they fled the fire. We just stood on the road and shot. We would get hundreds of rats. It was a lot of fun.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC, Goldy49 and 2 others like this.

- mostly for jackrabbits on mah property
    - gamo varmit rifle

All you squirrel slaughterers: Remember that a nice, fat squirrel, well roasted, is absolutely delicious!

They're easy as pie to skin, fairly easy to gut, and don't need much cutting up.
    Figure two squirrels per person, plus potatoes and a vegetable.

Or, you could make Brunswick Stew (more properly using squirrel, instead of the chicken).
    See: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...d=cardslot%202
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    All you squirrel slaughterers: Remember that a nice, fat squirrel, well roasted, is absolutely delicious!

They're easy as pie to skin, fairly easy to gut, and don't need much cutting up.

Or, you could make Brunswick Stew (more properly using squirrel, instead of the chicken).
    I remember looking through an OLD cookbook one of my Aunts had and it had directions for squirrel pot pie. It started out calling for 3 squirrels. Sadly I don't have th book, and can't remember what else was it it, but it sure has stuck in my mind!
    336A and msgt/ret like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post

See: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...d=cardslot%202
    Yup a big , I have two in the freezer waiting to get another fat one to go with emí. I think I may have thinned the herd to much last year as I havenít been seeing as many this year. I did see a couple of smaller ones today but with the sleet and freezing rain I decided to stay warm and inside.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links