Peace through superior firepower.

This is a discussion on Peace through superior firepower. within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many have read of the Lewis and Clark expedition but have never learned one of the reasons they traversed so many tribal lands but were ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Peace through superior firepower.

Many have read of the Lewis and Clark expedition but have never learned one of the reasons they traversed so many tribal lands but were never attacked; the Girandoni air rifle was one of those reasons.

Lewis and Clark’s Girandoni Air Rifle

The .46-caliber Girandoni air rifle was a secret weapon on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

When one thinks of the guns that won the West, one naturally envisions such familiar weapons as the Winchester, Henry, and Spencer repeating rifles, the trapdoor Springfield, the Smith & Wesson revolver, and the Colt Peacemaker.

Thinking back even further, there were the older percussion-cap rifles such as the Hawken buffalo gun or its flintlock predecessors, the Kentucky and Pennsylvania long rifles. Largely unknown to the general public is a singular weapon that never belched out gunpowder or killed a single human being in the United States, but that was perhaps the single most influential weapon in the opening of the American West: the Girandoni air rifle.
    [text_ad]

The earliest known example of the Girandoni is currently on display at Stockholm, Sweden’s Livrustkammeran Museum and dates to around 1580. Featured in fairly large calibers, these pneumatic weapons were employed by the very wealthy in hunting large game such as deer and wild boar. But around 1780 an enterprising Tyrolean gunsmith named Bartolomeo Girandoni developed a rugged new model air rifle that was soon adopted by the Austrian military. Produced in .46-caliber, the Girandoni was a quantum leap forward in weapons technology.
    https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/20...oni-air-rifle/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I did not know that. Thank you for posting this.

Ironic that PCP air rifles are all the rage today. Takes about the same number of pumps too.
    OldChap, msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

In the excellent book “Undaunted Courage” by Stephen Ambrose he spoke at length about this air rifle. It seems pretty advanced for its time

22 rounds that can be fired in seconds? Only the military should have guns like this. 😁
    Last edited by HotBrass45; December 26th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
    OldChap, OD*, Struckat and 2 others like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

There is one at the NRA Museum in Fairfax in really good shape. Interesting exhibit.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    I'm not sure it was the same model, but at one time the museum at Valley Forge had one on display. It may have been a temporary loan, I can't remember now.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VERY cool. Amazing technology for that period, too. Great info — thank you!
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

There is a replica at the Lewis and Clark Interpretative Center in Great Falls Montana. Not really a museum but well worth a stop.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

yup..…...knew that.

So when the anti 2A folks tell you that the founders never foresaw a rifle that could fire multiple rounds without reloading...

And it WAS a military grade rifle issued to the Austrian army.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Very few people today are knowledgeable about firearms of our national history or even our National History for that matter!

Senior Moderator
    Even fewer donkeys are knowledgeable about firearms of our national history or even our national history for that matter, but they can't read Defensive Carry Forum where intelligent discussion about firearms and national history is regularly held.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Senior Moderator
    I didn't know this, very interesting.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    As a young boy I read everything I could find about Lewis and Clark, as well as the mountain men and other explorers. That is probably when I first fell in love with reading, and I spent hours reading about the Northwest Passage, various books about Jim Bridger and fellow travelers, the Hudson Bay Company, Jedediah Smith stories and writings, and others including Jack London, Kit Carson and all of the rest. It awoke a spirit in me. That later dovetailed with my love of camping, hiking and exploring.

As a boy, I never really noted the Girondoni rifle, but did later in my life. I guess my focus then was the adventure and exploration rather than the arms.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    I've long had a spot in my heart for air rifles though I've not delved into owning them and using them as I should have as an adult. Perhaps in my old age ...

Sure had a lot of adventures with that Benjamin pump air rifle before the advent of my first .22 rifle.

My parents were big history buffs so as a kid I didn't have a chance. I knew we were kindred spirits Richard as I read all that stuff as vociferously as I could. Fiction too along those lines. James Fenimore Cooper's "The Leatherstocking" series, Joseph Altsheler's The Young Trailers" series, "loose" biographies and historical fiction on Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Jim Bridger, Kit Carson, Jack London's "Call of the Wild", and Jack O'Brien's "Silver Chief" series, all the New World explorers, Revolutionary War, and Texas Independence stuff.

Beat the hooey out of video games, I can tell you! Way more wholesome than watching pathetic Super Bowl halftime shows.

Tell you something else. All those are worth getting out and reading through again. I've got a big collection of them and still do it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

I remember reading this years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links