Combat Air Rifle Training?

This is a discussion on Combat Air Rifle Training? within the Airgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else remember the air rifle (without any sights) training to shoot washers, with their centers taped over, out of the air? Great basic instinctive ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By Two Bears
  • 2 Post By dennis40x
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Two Bears
  • 4 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 4 Post By GpTom
  • 1 Post By Two Bears
  • 1 Post By ColoradoDiablo
  • 1 Post By ColoradoDiablo

Thread: Combat Air Rifle Training?

Anyone else remember the air rifle (without any sights) training to shoot washers, with their centers taped over, out of the air? Great basic instinctive shooting drill. Fun!

It came in handy at 50 playing paintball with a bunch of 20 somethings. They kept asking "how can you do that"? I'm not telling as you would not believe me if I did.
    Last edited by Two Bears; January 28th, 2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Instymp and GpTom like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Fort Sherman, Panama Canal Zone Jungle Warfare School part of the course.
    Two Bears and GpTom like this.

Senior Moderator
    Yep, the Quick Kill technique. A former member here was trained and skilled in QK and passed along the skills professionally until he retired.
    Two Bears, GpTom and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It is amazing how many people think I am making that all up. Oh, if these super liberals only knew some of the things this old fart was trained to do they would run me out of CA. He, He.

I know nothing.
    GpTom likes this.

When I was growing up we had neighborhood BB-gun wars! My Daisy model 25 pump was my armament. It was combat for 12 year olds! We even practiced room clearing in Mrs. Benton's old falling down shed. That resulted in a couple stitches and a tetanus shot. I still bear a couple of permanent scars from those battles! We were by no means delicate snowflakes!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    MY kids waited about 30 years before they mentioned the bb gun wars they had with their cousins. If I had known I would have been afraid that they would lose an eye. When I hear them mention the bb gun wars it sounds like it was one of the highlights of their youth. I am glad that they had so much fun and also that I didn't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    When I was growing up we had neighborhood BB-gun wars! My Daisy model 25 pump was my armament. It was combat for 12 year olds! We even practiced room clearing in Mrs. Benton's old falling down shed. That resulted in a couple stitches and a tetanus shot. I still bear a couple of permanent scars from those battles! We were by no means delicate snowflakes!
    I shot one BB gun I had so much the trigger mechanism was malfunctioning to the point if I bumped the gun hard it would fire without pulling the trigger. I kept telling my parents but my words fell on deaf ears UNTIL. One day I was walking past my sister who had hung a quilt over a line she had hung over a line she had tied between ours stairs from our house to a support in our car port. She was playing with her dolls and such behind the quilt when I stumbled. When the BB gun hit the ground it fired, went through the quilt striking my baby sister 3 years younger than I was. Of course she went screaming and crying inside saying I shot her. Dad came outside and I explained what happened. I showed him by bumping the side of the action and sure enough it went off. Wonder of wonders not only did I get a new BB gun but an apology from my dad for not listening to me about my gun being bad and dangerous.

In south Arkansas us kids never had BB gun wars but we had a lot of crawdads that built big cones especially after a rain the size of your fist. Now that made for a throwing material since we never had snow that far south. If you have never been hit upside the head with a semi-hard fist sized wad of mud as a kid; well then you just have not lived. SPLAT!

Name:  download (53).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  10.6 KB
    5lima30ret likes this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    Fort Sherman, Panama Canal Zone Jungle Warfare School part of the course.
    Elephant Grass. Argh.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep, the Quick Kill technique. A former member here was trained and skilled in QK and passed along the skills professionally until he retired.
    Until you mentioned this I didn't even realize Brownie was no longer a member here.
    MMinSC likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Name:  download (54).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  6.4 KB
    It's not a grass snake.

Do they still teach Quick Kill technique to today's Army soldiers?

I know I loved it and it really stuck with me throughout the years I don't really know why but it did. I used to freak my two daughters out doing it (and some other shots they did not believe possible) with a BB gun I bought to teach them to shoot with. My youngest daughter went on to become a Deputy Sheriff in Colorado. She was the only one that took to guns.

At work we had a pigeon problem and I had a single shot .22cal target pellet pistol of low power I would take out there at night and shoot pigeons through the eye with. The old chief did not believe I could do that. Some of the other guys were using wrist rockets and buck shot (to control the population) so there was no sparks made. About that time a pigeon came walking into the control room with a broken wing apparently from the previous shift. The old chief said he would pluck and eat that pigeon if I could hit that bird through the eye from across our 20ft. control room. One shot off hand unsupported and he plucked that bird.

Sponsored Links