Introducing The ShapeShift Driver Defense Holster

This is a discussion on Introducing The ShapeShift Driver Defense Holster within the Alien Gear Holsters forums, part of the Vendors category; A car holster can be a useful tool for everyday life. Many holster mounts (Alien Gear's included) require some sort of installation ó primarily drilling ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AlienGHolsters
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By CG11
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD

Thread: Introducing The ShapeShift Driver Defense Holster

Sponsor

Introducing The ShapeShift Driver Defense Holster-using-car-seat-holster.jpg

A car holster can be a useful tool for everyday life.

Many holster mounts (Alien Gear's included) require some sort of installation ó primarily drilling a mount beside steering columns, within glove boxes or into center consoles.

What if that wasn't necessary?

The ninth addition to the ShapeShift Modular Holster System provides a way to comfortably holster a weapon between the legs in a car or truck without any structural changes to the vehicle.

continue reading at: Introducing The ShapeShift Driver Defense Holster - Alien Gear Holsters Blog
    CG11 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Just what the doctor ordered.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    USAF RETIRED

I could see some peace officers becoming a bit nervous if they approached your vehicle and saw that between your legs.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Hello @G26Raven ,

As with all our products, we recommend our customers take into account their respective state laws before using any carry style, be it on or off the body. We cannot provide legal advice if pulled over by law enforcement, but we do recommend respecting the on-duty officer by clearly keeping your hands on the wheel and responsibly making them aware that there is a weapon in their line of sight within the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienGHolsters View Post
    Hello @G26Raven ,

As with all our products, we recommend our customers take into account their respective state laws before using any carry style, be it on or off the body. We cannot provide legal advice if pulled over by law enforcement, but we do recommend respecting the on-duty officer by clearly keeping your hands on the wheel and responsibly making them aware that there is a weapon in their line of sight within the vehicle.
    My comment had nothing to do with state laws. It's simply a matter of a peace officer looking in the vehicle and seeing a pistol front and center. It's just my observation that this might put many officers on hyper alert. That's just my opinion and not a reflection on the quality or functionality of your product.
    SpringerXD likes this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

@G26Raven : I agree. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. Laws have nothing to do with. Possible justifiable officer paranoia is the issue. The other thing that occured to me is the temptation to leave the gun there if you're just running in someplace. Everyone knows that would not be a good idea, but you some people would do it.

What I can see that might have potential here is if the holster could be re-positioned on the mounting belts so that the holster was under the seat with the rear of the gun facing forward and the gun out of sight. I might buy something like that. @AlienGHolsters : Is that possible?
    G26Raven likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

This seems like a nice product, but also something that I question the need for. I think there is too much potential for problems here - a bad accident could leave you unconscious and your gun available to anyone, or if you have to exit your vehicle suddenly, and cannot get your gun (fire?). Then, too, the potential of over reaction from a peace officer that could lead to a problem. People make mistakes; it would be easy to forget it as well. On me and concealed; I know where it is and it will be with me if I leave the vehicle for any reason.
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    I have an AG holster for one of my guns. This won't be joining it. I prefer something less obtrusive. Others I suspect wil eat it up.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I have 2 of your products, this won't join it. As stated above I could only imagine a police officer walking up to my car and a gun front and center regardless of state laws.
    Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more. George S. Patton

It looks like a quality item and for some it may fill a unique personal requirement that other things canít. It beats sliding a revolver under the left leg, for example, for people who need to (body guards, some LE missions, etc).

But... Iím generally not a fan of handling carry guns a lot. Every time a gun is drawn out of an on body carry holster and transferred to a vehicle mounted holster (any of them, from any manufacturer), and then later moved back again to an on body holster to exit the vehicle, thereís a risk for an ND. For the average carrier this could be a greater risk than suitable for the environment.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Hmm , might be another potential market for those with mobility issues ( wheelchair, scooter).
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My comment had nothing to do with state laws. It's simply a matter of a peace officer looking in the vehicle and seeing a pistol front and center. It's just my observation that this might put many officers on hyper alert. That's just my opinion and not a reflection on the quality or functionality of your product.
    Yep. The gun out of sight and your hands in plain view is the ONLY option when encountering a police officer. If he asks where it is after you inform him that you're carrying, you answer the question and do what he says.

But having it right there in plain view and within easy reach? Nope.

I mounted a Comp-Tac Infidel under my dash for my XD 45 Compact. I attached the canvas snap straps from a cheap nylon holster for some added retention and a cloth flap that slightly hangs over it so it's not visible (or at least disguised) with the door open. It's not visible to anyone in the cab of my truck, myself included, but within easy reach when I lean slightly forward. I've been pulled over a couple of times, informed the officer, and it was never a problem.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Sponsored Links