Fancy dancing with gun while keeping it pointed down range!

This is a discussion on Fancy dancing with gun while keeping it pointed down range! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; In support of the title: YES, I kept my gun pointed down range - and put it down, did not drop it! And now the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Fancy dancing with gun while keeping it pointed down range!

VIP Member

In support of the title: YES, I kept my gun pointed down range - and put it down, did not drop it! And now the story:

This evening was our last Pistols and Potluck group for the year. It was a small turnout with not enough people to justify using both the lower range and the upper all-steel range, so everyone went up to the steel range. There is a pavilion with a long "shooting table/bench" and any number of people (up to maybe 6) can stand wherever they wish and shoot the steel targets in the area in front of them.

There was a couple to my left, taking turns shooting. It seemed that when he was shooting most of his brass was determined to attack me. I know that part of what he/they were shooting was .22 but not sure of what else. I wear safety glasses and a baseball cap to protect my head and eyes, and normally wear a high neck shirt - turtle neck it if is not TOO hot outside. Today I wore a women's top that had a medium high neck, but not like I usually wear. MISTAKE!

For the first time ever I got hot brass in my shirt! My top was obviously a bit too loose around the neck area. SUDDENLY - YEP - one hot casing went in and down, stuck at my waist - and then as I pulled out the waist of my jeans (while jiggling and jumping) to get it to fall, it stuck at the top of my thigh, so I was doing a real fancy dance and at the same time pulling out on my pant leg and shaking it like crazy.

Jerry, the range officer, came over to me with a grin and said "Hot brass?".......you can't mistake THAT DANCE! Finally it did fall out the bottom of my pants leg. I checked after I got home and it didn't leave any marks on me, but it was definitely hot.

However: This evening I did find 3 "red dots" on my neck, above where the neck of the shirt was. Whether that was more of his brass that hit and bounced off, or bits of sprall, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'm going back to turtle necks no matter what the weather! They don't have to be long sleeved - just have to fit around my neck!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Instead of turtlenecks, might consider a bandana or similar to wear. Have seen many women use a bandana, seems to work out pretty good and not as hot to wear.
    Sister and ShooterGranny like this.

Red spots are better than blisters. I've had only one hot casing get to me, compliments of another shooter. It happens.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kenboyles72 View Post
    Instead of turtlenecks, might consider a bandana or similar to wear. Have seen many women use a bandana, seems to work out pretty good and not as hot to wear.
    That's a great idea. I occassionally introduce ladies to shooting and usually recommend high necked attire. A thin scarf or wrap might work as well while not being hot during the summer.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Would you mind doing that one more time and asking Gramps to video it? I would love to see the real thing. Glad you escaped any real damage. Thanks for sharing that. Luv ya SG.
    viney266, OldVet, airslot and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    Would you mind doing that one more time and asking Gramps to video it? I would love to see the real thing. Glad you escaped any real damage. Thanks for sharing that. Luv ya SG.
    +1
    viney266 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    In support of the title: YES, I kept my gun pointed down range - and put it down, did not drop it! And now the story:

This evening was our last Pistols and Potluck group for the year. It was a small turnout with not enough people to justify using both the lower range and the upper all-steel range, so everyone went up to the steel range. There is a pavilion with a long "shooting table/bench" and any number of people (up to maybe 6) can stand wherever they wish and shoot the steel targets in the area in front of them.

There was a couple to my left, taking turns shooting. It seemed that when he was shooting most of his brass was determined to attack me. I know that part of what he/they were shooting was .22 but not sure of what else. I wear safety glasses and a baseball cap to protect my head and eyes, and normally wear a high neck shirt - turtle neck it if is not TOO hot outside. Today I wore a women's top that had a medium high neck, but not like I usually wear. MISTAKE!

For the first time ever I got hot brass in my shirt! My top was obviously a bit too loose around the neck area. SUDDENLY - YEP - one hot casing went in and down, stuck at my waist - and then as I pulled out the waist of my jeans (while jiggling and jumping) to get it to fall, it stuck at the top of my thigh, so I was doing a real fancy dance and at the same time pulling out on my pant leg and shaking it like crazy.

Jerry, the range officer, came over to me with a grin and said "Hot brass?".......you can't mistake THAT DANCE! Finally it did fall out the bottom of my pants leg. I checked after I got home and it didn't leave any marks on me, but it was definitely hot.

However: This evening I did find 3 "red dots" on my neck, above where the neck of the shirt was. Whether that was more of his brass that hit and bounced off, or bits of sprall, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'm going back to turtle necks no matter what the weather! They don't have to be long sleeved - just have to fit around my neck!
    Probably looked a lot like this:

Sister and BBMike like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

ShooterGranny, might not have been fun, but probably better than a hot case in your bra....
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

ShooterGranny likes this.

Some months ago a young female inexperienced shooter at the indoor range, club where I shoot caught one down her blouse and she reacted to the pain by swinging her pistol
    to the left, finger still on the trigger and popped a round into the bullet proof glass separating her from the next shooter over. I don't know what the final disposition of the bullet was but I understand there was another girl on the lane with her who sustained some minor injury. The glass with the place where the bullet impacted has still not been replaced. It did its job.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    22lr is the absolute worst of all the rounds to get caught by 223 is close but 22lr will scar you. Lady friend has a walther 22lr pistol that tosses brass and every angle imaginable and she has the burn scars to prove it.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Another option is to cut a t-shirt and keep it in your range bag for just in case. Here's a quick diagram, could be slipped over your head and tucked in, no need to remove any clothing.

Redbert31 likes this.

You could always just go full Wolowitz.

Fancy dancing with gun while keeping it pointed down range!-big-bang-theory-dickey.png
    wmhawth, Havok, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.

And get a Dickey.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    22lr is the absolute worst of all the rounds to get caught by 223 is close but 22lr will scar you. Lady friend has a walther 22lr pistol that tosses brass and every angle imaginable and she has the burn scars to prove it.
    5.56 will scar you too... I got one down my collar once and body armor pressed it against my neck for a few minutes. Years later still have that brand.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links