Old timers club

Old timers club

This is a discussion on Old timers club within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I let the arthritis in my right elbow get so bad that I didn't think that I could draw my gun if I needed to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Old timers club

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

Old timers club

I let the arthritis in my right elbow get so bad that I didn't think that I could draw my gun if I needed to defend myself. I have known for some time that cold air aggravates it. I sit with a blanket over my shoulders and over the right arm when in front of the air conditioner now. The arm is slowly getting stronger and less painful and I hope that it will be working reliably soon. I tried carrying with the left hand and although it is doable I wouldn't want to trade the difference in how long it takes to draw with it in an emergency. Funny how long we can let something bother us when we get old and stubborn before we do something about it.

I had arthritis in my hands that really hurt. I tried blue emu, then started taking vitamin B12 and that really helped, don't feel any pain now.

Tart cherry concentrate or pills help my wifes. trying it now myself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You don't have to be old to be stubborn. I let a rotator cuff injury get so bad I had "frozen shoulder" and got to a point where I could not lift my right arm above shoulder level. It took six months of physical therapy to get it right. I think the issue for many of us is that we hate going to the doctor.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    Tart cherry concentrate or pills help my wifes. trying it now myself.
    +1 on the Tart Cherry. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it has really made a difference
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I had arthritis in my hands that really hurt. I tried blue emu, then started taking vitamin B12 and that really helped, don't feel any pain now.
    Unfortunately, I have never even seen a blue emu, so I guess I'll just have to stick with my prescriptions.
    flintlock62 and Bandit99 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

First time I heard anyone trying cold to help with arthritis, cold will antagonize it. Warm heat.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    First time I heard anyone trying cold to help with arthritis, cold will antagonize it. Warm heat.
    Tried to explain that cold was antagonizing it so I try to keep my arm and elbow covered when in front of an air conditioner. I tried to sleep in front of an air conditioner one night and the arm hurt so badly that I could hardly get to sleep so I cover the arm and the pain decreased so quickly that I went to sleep right away.

I will try the remedies that have been suggested although I have had this arthritis for a long time. Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Tried to explain that cold was antagonizing it so I try to keep my arm and elbow covered when in front of an air conditioner. I tried to sleep in front of an air conditioner one night and the arm hurt so badly that I could hardly get to sleep so I cover the arm and the pain decreased so quickly that I went to sleep right away.
    I apparently misread it. I've had a form of arthritis that was supposed to have me in a wheel chair by the time I was 24, I'm not in one a few decades later. I keep defying everything Doctors tell me & they haven't figured out how, but I stuck with some advise and things an old (86 ) horse and buggy told me (he actually was). I'm still out there coaching soccer and doing some running, etc. while at it.

Use it , or lose it. Good luck with it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Unfortunately, I have never even seen a blue emu, so I guess I'll just have to stick with my prescriptions.
    You have to smoke one of those funny little cigarettes first before you can see them.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Just find some pink unicorns and the blue emu's will be close by.
    bill35738 and Sister like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Give "Left Handed" a fair shake ... You'll be surprised how quickly you can adapt given enough practice & repetition, when the need requires. The time may come when you don't have a choice, if you want to continue carrying.

I'm right handed, but due to a broken wrist & trigger finger (right hand), I carry / shoot left handed, & it now seems as natural to me as anything else that I still do right handed. Although everything else is right handed (i.e. writing, swinging a golf club, etc.), holding a firearm in my right hand now seems very unnatural to me.

My right forefinger has only 50% joint mobility and strength of normal, & makes it inaccurate when shooting. It cannot "curl" to pull the trigger, but rather "pushes" the gun left when shooting. Adapting to left handed carrying, drawing & shooting was a pretty short process for me.
    GpTom likes this.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

Does the R.W.Knudsen tart cherry juice from Walmart for about $6.00 for 32 ounces sound about right or do you find a better deal? I didn't look real hard yet. I will ask my kidney doctor if I can drink the cherry juice when his office opens on Monday. He is always telling me to eat more fruit and vegetables. Dark colas and coffee are already out for me along with red meats. I have been lucky that I have always been a big water drinker but I like a lemon- lime soda with meals.

There have been scientific studies on tart cherry that show that it only produces a slightly better result than a placebo. So there is no harm in taking it, in reasonable quantities, it might help a little but it is definitely not the miracle solution people make it out to be.

The real danger with treatments that do not have proven efficacy is that they tend to keep people from seeking real medical treatment longer than they should. I have good orthopedists, I trust them and I do/take what they recommend because it has science behind it and it works. Tart cherry has never come up.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links