Radio Frequency Ablation - Page 2

Radio Frequency Ablation

This is a discussion on Radio Frequency Ablation within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's good news indeed! I hope it takes a long while before you need it again....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Radio Frequency Ablation

That's good news indeed! I hope it takes a long while before you need it again.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

I have had chronic lower back pain for a very long time.. I wont take meds and thankfully its only a 4 on a scale from 1 to 10. Its good to know there are increasingly more options as medical tech advances. Sleeping on my back is helpful in my situation but sitting in a chair for more than 15 minutes gives me fits.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Sponsor
    Good to hear you've found relief from the pain OV, best of luck in the future.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Old Vet, there is a viable alternate plan. Google 'Spinal Cord Stimulator" I went thru the same thing as you, with the pain clinic injecting epidural shots into the lower back, ever few weeks, with very little effect in my case. Overheard a conversation about Spinal Cord Stimulation. After investigating it, I suggested to the doctor, that I'd like to try it. He reluctantly agreed.
    After a five day "temporary trial" where they applied the transmitter taped to my back, and the electrodes alongside my spinal cord. It worked 100%, relieving all my lower back pain.
    Now in a couple weeks, I will get the permanent implant. I realize not all fixes work the same for all people, but I certainly look forward to this effect pain reliever, in my case. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Glad to hear you're getting some relief.
    Keep letting us know how you are doing.

My Dr talked about RFA but didn't think it was a good option for me. Too many levels that would need to be done all at once to effectively manage my pain.
    I've often wondered if it could be done just at one level.
    I'm not sure what levels he was referring to, but I previously had facet blocks bilaterally at L4-L5 and L5-S1, but the effect, which was good lasted only a few days. The facet blocks are mostly diagnostic in finding the nerves causing pain. I assume the RFA was at the same places.

No other doctor I'd ever seen offered much in relief, no family PA, no orthopedic doc, no one. Took a pain management doctor--an anesthesiologist--to help.
    SatCong and TSKnight like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Glad that you are feeling better, OldVet
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Glad that you are feeling better, OldVet
    Yes, I am. Now go away.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Waiting to hear how you slept last night OV...
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, I am. Now go away.
    Yep, you are definitely feeling better! :)
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    He's still in bed!

That's wonderful news, @OldVet !!!

For the rest of you, always consider a trained Physical Therapist too. My wife has had about 10-12 sessions resulting in significant declines in pain. They worked on postures, techniques, proper strengthening with correct form, proper stretching, and it has improved her quality of life tremendously.

Having said that, PT will not always work in many cases, but explore the options with your Doctor. My wife will be visiting an Orthopedic Doctor too for another issue, so hopefully the progress will continue. This is after a visit to a neurosurgeon.

Modern medicine is pretty amazing.

I am glad the relief is so significant!
    Click likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Slept like a baby. Up every two hours...

Just kidding, slept fine, only the slightest side stiffness upon waking. Vast improvement overall. Now I need to load a mountain of ammo in my truck Friday to return to my son. If I make it through that, I'll call the procedure a success at this point.

Meeting Jack at Loreen's on the way to to the son's place!
    glockman10mm likes this.

Interesting .. I had something similar done to my left leg except they fried the greater saphenous vein and then ripped it out .. and no it isn't cheap
    "Out of chaos comes order"

Nietzsche

Slept like a baby. Up every two hours...

Just kidding, slept fine, only the slightest side stiffness upon waking. Vast improvement overall. Now I need to load a mountain of ammo in my truck Friday to return to my son. If I make it through that, I'll call the procedure a success at this point.

Meeting Jack at Loreen's on the way to to the son's place!
    Give Jack my regards, and glad you are feeling better!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie.MKG View Post
    Interesting .. I had something similar done to my left leg except they fried the greater saphenous vein and then ripped it out .. and no it isn't cheap
    Ouch!

Ouch!
    it doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it sounds lol .. they made incisions all the way up my leg if I recall correctly it was 13 or 14
    "Out of chaos comes order"

Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links