Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia - Page 2

Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia

This is a discussion on Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Traffic is a nightmare both inside and outside the "perimeter". A local rock radio station daily refers to I-85 as the "highway to hell" with ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia

Traffic is a nightmare both inside and outside the "perimeter". A local rock radio station daily refers to I-85 as the "highway to hell" with good
    reason. GA is a fairly high tax state and doesn't give a lot of breaks to retired folks. There are some pretty cool places in Atlanta though... IF you survive the traffic!
    Pete63 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Wife and I are looking for a good last home and are looking at Fayette County, GA (south of Atlanta). Home prices and property taxes are way cheaper than where we are now in Central Illinois. We are really trying to move out of Illinois and the Atlanta area is a first choice for us.
    gatorbait51 and zonker1986 like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Georgia seems to tax a LOT of your basic need's,..."

Come to think of it, I do recall my time there in the '70s as being nickeled and dimed with GA taxes. It's worth investigating the "real" tax costs for any state before moving there.
    Auto registration ate my lunch (2 cars,4 bikes). Tax on food. Gas cost MORE. Walmart stuff (yeah, I know, BUT a good indicator) was 15% more, PLUS it varied from store to store on cost of same items, which it doesn't seem to in the greater Houston area.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Yeah, I loved living in coastal Georgia but the taxes... I'm happy going back for a visit but I don't think I'd want to live there again. Anywhere near ATL would be a solid no under any conditions.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Wife and I are looking for a good last home and are looking at Fayette County, GA (south of Atlanta). Home prices and property taxes are way cheaper than where we are now in Central Illinois. We are really trying to move out of Illinois and the Atlanta area is a first choice for us.
    Good friend lives in Peachtree City. It's MUCH nicer down there. Newnan is real nice too. My Glock brother lives there. Only has to commute to Smyrna couple of times a week.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

There is a reason the walking dead started there.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    There is a reason the walking dead started there.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Good friend lives in Peachtree City. It's MUCH nicer down there. Newnan is real nice too. My Glock brother lives there. Only has to commute to Smyrna couple of times a week.
    We found a few houses we liked in Peachtree City, but they are going to be out of your price range. I agree with you on Newnan. McDonough is also nice. Neither of us will have to leave home in the mornings, so traffic is not a concern. It also puts me closer to my mother in Riverdale.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    We found a few houses we liked in Peachtree City, but they are going to be out of your price range. I agree with you on Newnan. McDonough is also nice. Neither of us will have to leave home in the mornings, so traffic is not a concern. It also puts me closer to my mother in Riverdale.
    Can relate to the price range. Where my friend lives, EVERYONE has a golf cart, or 4 wheeler; don't use their car, but drive them to the store & visit friends. He own's his own business. $$$$
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    With my VA rating I get a decent break on some of the ridiculous taxes in GA (one vehicle no ad valorem tax; I think an $81k deduction from the property tax appraised value after they do their standard 40%; part of the military retirement is not taxed (I think up to $40K), etc. Right now in the exploratory stage and besides my time at Benning, I also lived in Lawrenceville at one point in my life.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    My wife and I grew up in and around Champaign. Still have family there in Mahomet and Tuscola. We go back to visit fairly regularly. There are still good deals on homes, if one it willing to live in the small farm communities 20-30 miles out of CU. The problem is they are still in Illinois. A move to rural Georgia would be a godsend for an Illinois resident looking to escape the frigid icebox and government corruption that is Illinois. It's a shame that Chicago is still part of Illinois because if you could separate Cook and the surrounding counties from the rest of the state, it could be nice place to live.

Best of luck on your last home search.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    The taxes on vehicles has changed. Tax paid at time of purchase with no ad valorum going forward. I have one that gets taxed and one that doesn't. Don't know how they deal with a vehicle from another state.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    I know this does not apply to you, but since others have mentioned GA treatment of retirees: If you are married and over 65, GA exempts the first $130,000 in income, ($65,000 if single). In addition, if you file for the "homestead exemption" your property taxes are lower. If you are 65 or over you can also file for an exemption for school taxes. That alone can save a couple thousand dollars a year.

Since you mentioned Lawrenceville, you are definitely referring to Gwinnett county.

Some of the public schools are probably best avoided (I have no children, so I have no direct knowledge about the schools). Some exceptions that come to mind are Mill Creek, Grayson, and Archer. As someone else has mentioned, Gwinnett County has an enormous school system. Last year I read there were 140,000 students in the system. To be honest, most of the people I know, that have children, send their children to private schools or have gone toward home schooling.

Park system is great, there seem to be parks all over.

Sales tax in Gwinnett is 6% (4% GA 2% County) but that is likely to increase since the powers that be are trying to bring MARTA into Gwinnett County.

I read last year, the demographics are split pretty evenly in Gwinnett County: roughly 25% White, 25% Black, 25% Latino, and 25% Asian. All these numbers are approximate, with about a 2%-3% variance.

If you have other questions (I know I would), feel free to PM. I will answer what I can.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    The taxes on vehicles has changed. Tax paid at time of purchase with no ad valorum going forward. I have one that gets taxed and one that doesn't. Don't know how they deal with a vehicle from another state.
    That is really good news. I remember the ad valorum tax (and not fondly). As for out of state, we may end up paying the tax when the car is registered.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    My wife and I grew up in and around Champaign. Still have family there in Mahomet and Tuscola. We go back to visit fairly regularly. There are still good deals on homes, if one it willing to live in the small farm communities 20-30 miles out of CU. The problem is they are still in Illinois. A move to rural Georgia would be a godsend for an Illinois resident looking to escape the frigid icebox and government corruption that is Illinois. It's a shame that Chicago is still part of Illinois because if you could separate Cook and the surrounding counties from the rest of the state, it could be nice place to live.

Best of luck on your last home search.
    We are in Champaign now. We didn't even think about Mahomet or Tuscola because we thought that if we are going to buy another house and move, let's get out of Illinois.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links