Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia - Page 4

Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia

This is a discussion on Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob There is a reason the walking dead started there. Well, almost in Fayette. It started in the city of Senoia, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Considering a Move from Texas to Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    There is a reason the walking dead started there.
    Well, almost in Fayette. It started in the city of Senoia, in Coweta County. It's the next county over.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    We found a few houses we liked in Peachtree City, but they are going to be out of your price range. I agree with you on Newnan. McDonough is also nice. Neither of us will have to leave home in the mornings, so traffic is not a concern. It also puts me closer to my mother in Riverdale.
    When are you looking to relocate? I live in Fayette and been here 25 years. 18 of those have been working in McDonough also. I grew up in Morrow, but spent a lot of time as a kid in Riverdale where my dad lived.

I lived in deep southeastern, costal GA for 11 years. My youngest daughter graduated culinary school and moved to north Atlanta (Piedmont Heights area) and is now a sous chef at one of those hip, high-$ restaurants in Decature (east Atlanta) all the 'foodies' seem to like (the cast of the Walking Dead and Robert DeNiro are return guests when in town).

My take-aways from visiting her the couple-few times I've been there....

Pros: pretty good area she's in WRT crime. Good school reviews (I haven't needed to really look), lots of 'backways' around the main traffic arteries, LOTS to do and get into, and plenty of 'new' micro breweries to try 'new', different beers. Also, it is a beautiful area, even with it being so urban. The dogwoods blooming every spring demand attention....and with the 'mountains' just an hour or so north, there's plenty of places to get away to.

Cons: Expensive. cost of living vs. quality of life is huge. It's a big urban metropolis run by Democrats so the local taxes really get'cha. Having said that, Georgia is a very gun-friendly state, but Atlanta proper is not (concealed means CONCEALED). There are plenty of Conservative folks around, but you're still out numbered. Although violent/major crime isn't too big an issue there, petty crime/ crime of opportunity IS AN ISSUE, car break-in's and simple theft being the big issues. Lock it up AND keep it outta sight.

Good Luck and happy decision making.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Where I live in LA (Lower AL Gulf Coast) there are A LOT of people retiring here are from Houston and Atlanta area. My neighbor retired from Gwinnett County and he loves it here. According to him the cost of living there is going out of sight. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awanatech View Post
    When are you looking to relocate? I live in Fayette and been here 25 years. 18 of those have been working in McDonough also. I grew up in Morrow, but spent a lot of time as a kid in Riverdale where my dad lived.

Hopefully in the next 18 months. PM me and tell more about McDonough since that is one of the areas were are looking at.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    There's NO state income tax in Texas.
    I know. I lived in Houston for a while. Things that cost practically nothing in other states cost an arm and a leg in Texas. I'm a CPA......cost me ten times for my annual dues compared to the other five states I was licensed in at the time. The "no state income tax" is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I know. I lived in Houston for a while. Things that cost practically nothing in other states cost an arm and a leg in Texas. I'm a CPA......cost me ten times for my annual dues compared to the other five states I was licensed in at the time. The "no state income tax" is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
    There's an old saying in the grocery business: What you lose on the bananas you make up on the apples.

In other words, all states need X amount of money to operate. They'll get it one way or another, be it income tax, property tax, ad valorem tax, outrageous vehicle registration fees, sales tax, etc. Some states may appear cheaper to live in, but ain't none of them cheap, and everyone pays somehow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Depends on what your end game is. 3 of the top ten cities for low cost of living are in Texas. I don't work anymore, so some expenses have been eliminated. Others, maybe not so much. Not unlike Florida, a Large number of people flock to the Lower Rio Grande valley for the winter because of the weather, AND LOW COST.
    To me, things like food, fuel, fact that next year I'll pay no property tax are what brought me back here. Gun laws are fair here, in my opinion. Even the politicians didn't have knee-jerk reactions after recent events. From the way the Georgia governors race seems to be shaping up, just say'n. I do not wish bad things on anyone. If I were going to move to Georgia, there are a lot of nice cities from 15-30 miles away from Atlanta proper. JUST spent 2 1/2 years there!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/10-...ive-in-the-us/
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Looks like we're moving to East Cobb or Johns Creek. More to follow.
    Pete63 likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links