Suicide caused by doctors?

This is a discussion on Suicide caused by doctors? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This article isn稚 about guns but in another from this site they are blaming guns. Had to quote this one because of the jaw dropping ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Suicide caused by doctors?

This article isn稚 about guns but in another from this site they are blaming guns. Had to quote this one because of the jaw dropping ignorance of the M.D. mother!

It baffles me that someone that got their doctors degree (can be anyone intelligent enough to pass and get a doctors degree) can lose two sons to suicide that are already on antidepressants and then blame it on guns! This article sent me to another one and the doctors were saying that it was the guns? Guns didn稚 shove prescription pills down young active boys throats the parents and doctors did! Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were both depressed - I can稚 find it yet but dollars to donuts both of them were on antidepressants! EVERY ONE of the school shooters and the NV shooter were on antidepressants. WOW, how the pharmaceutical cash cow can blind parents to where they are killing their own kids and blaming the NRA.

末末末末末末末末末末末末末-article below末末末末末末末末

After Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, it痴 time to shift on suicide

C. ANN CONN, MD | CONDITIONS | JUNE 21, 2018
    447 SHARES
    Tweet

Surviving suicide loss is difficult. And in some sense, the resulting grief is open-ended. I am a mother and doctor whose two sons died by suicide associated with psychotic bipolar disorder. My ever-present sensitivity to the fierce loss of death by suicide is again touched when I hear of death by suicide. The suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade triggered in me a renewed feeling of grief. Like so many, I felt I knew Anthony Bourdain. 哲o Reservations was my introduction to Bourdain. As a fellow traveler and foodie, I fell in love with his eccentric style. Later, he drove me crazy when he was drunk and had an alcohol-induced blackout during the 鉄icily episode of Parts Unknown. But, afterward, I worried about him. Now, I will miss him.
    Yes, Bourdain himself fit into categories for increased suicide risk: a white man in his 60s, divorced, with a history of addiction. Although, as I live with daily, somehow the rational explanations are not entirely satisfying for the loss.

Brain illness, mental illness is the underlying factor in 90 percent of suicides. As physicians, we are fortunate to understand this intrinsic vulnerability better than most. Therefore, I believe we have a particular responsibility to help destigmatize these brain illnesses.

It seems suicide is on the front burner of our collective attention. Appropriately, in the media and in many personal conversations, there is a call for people at risk for suicide to seek treatment. Those of us in medicine know first hand the profound barriers to appropriate treatment. Even as a physician who understood the severity of my son痴 illnesses and how to operate within medical bureaucracy, it was challenging to find treatment. Days were spent in the hospital ED waiting for a psych bed to open. Psychiatry facilities offered substandard therapy in dirty, antiquated facilities. Tens of thousands of dollars of uncovered costs accrued due to inappropriate insurance denials. We struggled with absent post-hospitalization care structures and limited, ineffective medications with significant side effects.
    Brain science, in many ways, remains in its infancy. We flood the body with drugs that have adverse effects for every cell when only a portion of the brain is the intended treatment target. Where are the precise, elegant treatments? More research and better science are needed.

C. Ann Conn is a pain management physician and can be reached at her self-titled site, C. Ann Conn.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    For all of the harping on guns everytime we see a tragedy, the real issue is mental health and the inability to get help. We have 2 very good hospitals in our area and neither one is equipped to deal with mental illness. People have such mental issues, and they can't seem to get any attention until they commit a mass shooting. I recall that the Navy Shipyard shooter had tried to get mental help before he went on a shooting spree. The real issue is mental health. The gun is nothing more than a tool.
    airslot, Bad Bob and Pete63 like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

It's really depressing that there are so many people on antidepressants.

BTW, opioid pain pills like Hydrocodone and Hydromorphone can also cause problems -- even when taken as directed.
    msgt/ret, DZUS, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    For all of the harping on guns everytime we see a tragedy, the real issue is mental health and the inability to get help. We have 2 very good hospitals in our area and neither one is equipped to deal with mental illness. People have such mental issues, and they can't seem to get any attention until they commit a mass shooting. I recall that the Navy Shipyard shooter had tried to get mental help before he went on a shooting spree. The real issue is mental health. The gun is nothing more than a tool.
    Absolutely agree!!!
    airslot and Sister like this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

DG
    The real problem is that every time you turn on the television, there's and ad from a pharmaceutical company telling you that they have a pill that will fix whatever ails you. If the pill has side effects? They've got a pill for that.

Classic example of that.....excessive use of opioids will cause constipation. No problem they've got a pill for opioid induced constipation.

Want to check how much your doctor receives from pharmaceutical companies?

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Using Chantix in an attempt to quit smoking can produce some nasty side effects also.
    Illusive Man, DZUS and Sister like this.

"Brain illness, mental illness is the underlying factor in 90 percent of suicides."

True. And after dealing with a mentally ill suicidal relative for decades I can only say that unless you institutionalize these people, those illnesses will most likely prove to be fatal. You can blame meds, guns, insurance companies, and a whole host of other possibilities that are 100% irrelevant. Unless you lock up and baby sit a suicidal bi-polar person....they will find a way to kill themselves. Kate Spade hung herself on a doorknob with a scarf. Going to ban doorknobs or scarves? While tragic..........this MD knew her sons were psychotic. She could have institutionalized both of them. She simply chose not to.

Bottom line.........there will always be suicidal people. It's a genetic malfunction IMO.

Darwin was right.

Thanks for the good insight and reply痴. My thought is that it痴 the pills themselves to blame, or the one痴 pushing them.

Let痴 ask this question, how many doctors do a serotonin or dopamine blood test before they give the patient the mind altering drug?

I know the answer, zero, you wouldn稚 believe how many ppl get diagnosed with made up diseases that are put on these drugs for the financial benefit of the pharmaceutical companies.

Most people don稚 even realize that there is a simple blood test that can be done BEFORE they put their kids on these medications.

BTW, a good friend of mine is on RA meds at the tune of $600 a month - somebody is getting rich.

Back to the point, I believe it痴 the drugs themselves CAUSING the depression.

Don稚 give a little boy speed pills unless your training them for a career at a meth lab or school terrorist! wth is wrong with these ppl giving them drugs give the kid a bike and let them be kids.

PILLS ARE NOT BABYSITTERS!
    ShooterGranny, DZUS, DG and 4 others like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

DG
    I agree with you. I think we're literally being drugged to death.
    Sister likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Pills are being prescribed to our kids because they are acting like kids.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Exactly. Blood money.
    Trust God.

Think about it.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Pills are being prescribed to our kids because they are acting like kids.
    If the children are sedated, they are easier to manage.
    msgt/ret, Sister and Pete63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    If the children are sedated, they are easier to manage.
    In all fairness the same can be said about husbands....
    Trust God.

Think about it.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Just about every warning label on every antidepressant contains a warning that it may increase suicidal tendencies. Huh? How is that an antidepressant?
    msgt/ret, DG, bill35738 and 1 others like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

When I was trying to quit smoking, I was given Chantix. I had several vivid and bizzar dreams. I finally recognized it was the dope the doctor gave me, and quit it. I told my doc, and he wrote a prescription for another drug. I quit him. As for Chantix, it did nothing to help me stop smoking.
    Pete63, msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Senior Moderator
    Anyone who has spent enough time in the psych biz and is actually connected with reality knows that those bent on killing themselves will find a way - the actual means comes down to availability and personal preferences. Hanging seems to be enjoying a resurgence, and last I knew, there was no waiting period to buy rope, scarves, or belts.
    msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links