Cataracts - Page 6

Cataracts

This is a discussion on Cataracts within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise Here's a great article that explains why some people get Dry Eye after cataract surgery. It has to do with cutting ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Cataracts

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Here's a great article that explains why some people get Dry Eye after cataract surgery. It has to do with cutting the corneal nerves that control tear flow and lipids in the tears. It's an older article but it makes a lot of sense.

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.co...taract-surgery

Here's an excerpt:

During clear corneal cataract surgery, which now accounts for 73 percent of cataract surgery according to this year's trends survey by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, a large portion of the corneal nerves are cut. With a typical cataract surgery, the primary incision may be about 3.0 mm in width, and the paracentesis about 1.0 mm in width, giving a total arc length of 4.0 mm of full-thickness corneal incisions. If we add to this the additional incisions for astigmatic correction, such as limbal relaxing incisions, or the three-incision technique of bimanual cataract surgery advocated by some surgeons, the cutting of corneal nerves is even more severe.

The corneal nerves are important in the self-regulation of tears since they provide the sensation in the feedback loop that signals tear production. When we block or decrease the function of these nerves, we can significantly limit the eye's ability to create a proper tear film, which can lead to decreased vision and symptomatic patients.

ETA: The good news is that the nerves heal and the Dry Eye gets better. Thank goodness.

Good to hear from you, @Jeanlouise !

My daughter had a balloon angioplasty of her tear ducts performed by her ophthalmologist. Kind of a Rotor Rooter for the tear ducts.
    Jeanlouise and msgt/ret like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Good to hear from you, @Jeanlouise !

My daughter had a balloon angioplasty of her tear ducts performed by her ophthalmologist. Kind of a Rotor Rooter for the tear ducts.
    Hey there Rock!

I've never heard of that treatment but I'm not all that familiar with eye stuff, although I'm learning a lot more since I had this bad experience.

I hope it helped her.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Hey there Rock!

I hope it helped her.
    Fixed her right up!

Balloon catheter dilation

Your doctor guides a very thin catheter through the blockage in the tear duct, starting from the nose. They then inflate a tiny balloon several times to push away the blockage and open up the duct system. This requires general anesthesia.
    Jeanlouise and QKShooter like this.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Fixed her right up!
    "Your doctor guides a very thin catheter through the blockage in the tear duct, starting from the nose. They then inflate a tiny balloon several times to push away the blockage and open up the duct system. This requires general anesthesia."

I need general anesthesia just reading that.

I'm so glad to hear that she's all better!
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Moderator
    I need general anesthesia just reading that.
    Cringe worthy!

I welded up some cattle racks for a farm truck not long ago.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links