Gun people are some of the...

This is a discussion on Gun people are some of the... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...nicest people I've ever met. I know that this isn't really news to folks on this forum but as I am still a neophyte in ...

Like Tree44Likes
  • 14 Post By AnthonyC
  • 12 Post By DZUS
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 7 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 2 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By The Old Anglo
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By rotorhead1026
  • 1 Post By Sister

Thread: Gun people are some of the...

...nicest people I've ever met.
    I know that this isn't really news to folks on this forum but as I am still a neophyte in the gun world I am pleasantly surprised and I bet it would surprise people who aren't part of the gun community (yet).

I rarely run into people at the gun range because I often go to the gun range at odd hours of the day. However, when I do run into people they are always welcoming. Yesterday, I ran to older gentleman helping a couple practice with their handguns. None of them seemed unfamiliar with guns but the older gentleman was definitely the more experienced. Sure enough, "Hi. Don't mind us. We'll wait if you're gonna hang your targets. We can reset the metal plates if you want to shoot those." Big smiles from the three.

I try the plates, working on time from draw to first shot (needs work). After several mags I walk back to the safe line and the older guy has his pistol locked open on the bench. He catches me as I glance at it and asks if I want to check it out. I'm not sure what kind it is but it looks like a sweet pistol so I say, "Sure." It's a CZ 75 Compact D and damn if that thing didn't fit my hand like a glove. I told him it felt great in the hand so then he says, "Why don't you shoot it?" and hands me a mag. I try the plates again and must say I loved the way it felt, much flatter and smoother when it recoils and super easy to pick its Truglo front sight.

Afterwards, I of course offered him to try the Walther P99C I had brought which he was kind enough to say has a nice reset but even I could tell his CZ felt smoother. We chatted some before I had to depart (I only stopped at the range for a quick pitstop on the way to the grocery store)

This is just one example of gun owners I have met at the range who are extremely nice and helpful, all random people that I meet as I arriving or leaving the range. I've had people invite me to try their black powder rifles before the pack up, had members of rimfire league check my new (cheap) Marlin .22LR with laser bore sight and benchrest test it as they set for club shoot, and tons of people practically throw pistols in my hands asking me to shoot their pistols. Once a friend of mine who had recently got his pistol permit came to an evening indoor IDPA-type shoot. Its fairly informal but pretty popular for members so there is a bunch of people their. My friend had brought his Glock 26 and ammo but hadn't brought anything else: spare mags, gunbelt, holster. Literally a new gun owner. Well, here comes everyone to the rescue, and with a Glock there were plenty of mags and holsters for him to use. Well, he loved it and has since become a member at the club.

My point, I guess, is that in light of all the negative stuff being spread about guns and gun owners, we should let our actions speak for us. I have learned that my ranting and calling people names hasn't converted anyone. But bringing some those who are on the fence to a range to meet some regular gun owners might.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    ...nicest people I've ever met.
    I know that this isn't really news to folks on this forum but as I am still a neophyte in the gun world I am pleasantly surprised and I bet it would surprise people who aren't part of the gun community (yet).

I rarely run into people at the gun range because I often go to the gun range at odd hours of the day. However, when I do run into people they are always welcoming. Yesterday, I ran to older gentleman helping a couple practice with their handguns. None of them seemed unfamiliar with guns but the older gentleman was definitely the more experienced. Sure enough, "Hi. Don't mind us. We'll wait if you're gonna hang your targets. We can reset the metal plates if you want to shoot those." Big smiles from the three.

I try the plates, working on time from draw to first shot (needs work). After several mags I walk back to the safe line and the older guy has his pistol locked open on the bench. He catches me as I glance at it and asks if I want to check it out. I'm not sure what kind it is but it looks like a sweet pistol so I say, "Sure." It's a CZ 75 Compact D and damn if that thing didn't fit my hand like a glove. I told him it felt great in the hand so then he says, "Why don't you shoot it?" and hands me a mag. I try the plates again and must say I loved the way it felt, much flatter and smoother when it recoils and super easy to pick its Truglo front sight.

Afterwards, I of course offered him to try the Walther P99C I had brought which he was kind enough to say has a nice reset but even I could tell his CZ felt smoother. We chatted some before I had to depart (I only stopped at the range for a quick pitstop on the way to the grocery store)

This is just one example of gun owners I have met at the range who are extremely nice and helpful, all random people that I meet as I arriving or leaving the range. I've had people invite me to try their black powder rifles before the pack up, had members of rimfire league check my new (cheap) Marlin .22LR with laser bore sight and benchrest test it as they set for club shoot, and tons of people practically throw pistols in my hands asking me to shoot their pistols. Once a friend of mine who had recently got his pistol permit came to an evening indoor IDPA-type shoot. Its fairly informal but pretty popular for members so there is a bunch of people their. My friend had brought his Glock 26 and ammo but hadn't brought anything else: spare mags, gunbelt, holster. Literally a new gun owner. Well, here comes everyone to the rescue, and with a Glock there were plenty of mags and holsters for him to use. Well, he loved it and has since become a member at the club.

My point, I guess, is that in light of all the negative stuff being spread about guns and gun owners, we should let our actions speak for us. I have learned that my ranting and calling people names hasn't converted anyone. But bringing some those who are on the fence to a range to meet some regular gun owners might.
    I forget where I read this however (and paraphrasing) if you want to know who is carrying a concealed weapon, look for the nicest, most polite, courteous and diplomatic people in the room.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Distinguished Member
    I get offers from others to try their weapons almost every visit to the range. I go to an old fashioned trolley range instead of the high tech one because of the quality of the people. At the range I like there are more friendly folks who are safe, at the high tech range more show offs and unsafe behavior. There are more genuinely good folks in the gun community but like all communities we also have some others. Glad youíve had such positive experiences!
    Redbert31 and AnthonyC like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    I forget where I read this however (and paraphrasing) if you want to know who is carrying a concealed weapon, look for the nicest, most polite, courteous and diplomatic people in the room.
    Boy, did you ever eliminate me from being detected.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    When I first started shooting with groups, and attending self defense classes, I was never treated with anything but kindness even though I was the only woman in the group. I was never treated as "the little lady," but rather as a fellow shooter. I try to pass that respect along whenever possible.

I have done the "try mine and I'll try yours" thing many times. After having been a shooter for a lot of years (and currently having greatly reduced ability to shoot anything over .380 in caliber), I know pretty much what to look for when I buy a new gun now. So far everyone who has shot any of my guns has loved them - including the one Glock 42 I have left out of my former Glock collection.

As for me, if I try a gun that is obviously a nasty thing, I shoot maybe two rounds and hand it back and say thank you. I'm not going to badmouth a gun that another person likes. At least not to that person!

One time I shot a SIG P238 that one of our new shooters had. I could NOT stop with 2 rounds - it was such a honey! I replaced the ammo I had used and proceeded to buy one for myself within a week. Then a little later I bought another one.

From time to time I've offered suggestions on grip and/or stance to people at the range who were receptive to learning. It doesn't take but a second or two to figure who those people are, or rather who they are NOT.
    Sister and AnthonyC like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Boy, did you ever eliminate me from being detected.

Me too, some jerk ignored all my go-away signs (in english and spanish) a few days ago and I called him a lying SOB and told him to get the heó off my property! Iíd do it again to, chased him down and got his picture

Canít wait till we move back into the dark woods where people donít go
    flh and The Old Anglo like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    My Lady Love of 19 years is 4'10 and weighs 90bs. I bought her a Bersa .380,nice gun and a smooth shooter!. BUT,then she asked to try out my Rock Island Tac in .45ACP and fell in Love with it as she was doing Bullseye`s at 10 YRDS. I had to buy another for myself,but this was a Woman who was afraid of guns last year...Baby Steps to CC...That's my plan!. She also does a Cute little Dance for every Bullseye!.
    Sister and AnthonyC like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Don't let your new experiences completely fool you...there are a bunch of a-hole gun owners, too.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Don't let your new experiences completely fool you...there are a bunch of a-hole gun owners, too.
    Unfortunately true, but most people are okay if you give them a chance.
    Shootnlead likes this.
    "Here aloft, we are not lost, but found".

Ernest K. Gann

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    My Lady Love of 19 years is 4'10 and weighs 90bs. I bought her a Bersa .380,nice gun and a smooth shooter!. BUT,then she asked to try out my Rock Island Tac in .45ACP and fell in Love with it as she was doing Bullseye`s at 10 YRDS. I had to buy another for myself,but this was a Woman who was afraid of guns last year...Baby Steps to CC...That's my plan!. She also does a Cute little Dance for every Bullseye!.
    Ah yes the bullseye dance, Iíve done that one a couple of times myself

Happy for you that you have a fully loaded home, itís great when everyone is on board 😃
    AnthonyC likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Sponsored Links