Opening our home to Foster children

This is a discussion on Opening our home to Foster children within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wife and I have decided to open up our home to kids in transition who are in foster care. At this time we are in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Opening our home to Foster children

Wife and I have decided to open up our home to kids in transition who are in foster care.
    At this time we are in the process of the required training to be officially licensed as a foster home.

Since we are both employed in the Child Protection Agency, we have seen the need, and it is great. A combination of kids having babies, and the drug epidemic, has ravished the minds and senses of many people with children in our care, and made it impossible for them to provide a good home for their children that is safe, nurturing and able to fulfill their needs.

Since we have the home with unused space, and plenty of outside area, we felt it was in us to step up and do something. Maybe we can impart something good in the children that will stick with them as they go forward. Maybe we will adopt in the process.

I thought my years of grow’in young’ins was over, but apparently not.

Would certainly welcome the prayers of the pray’in community here goin forward.
    PPS1980, DJC7, Mike1956 and 36 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Wonderful. What’s KY’s attitude toward weapons in foster homes?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Wonderful. What’s KY’s attitude toward weapons in foster homes?
    As long as they are either stored in a safe, or in the direct control of the adult, it’s fine. I have a safe, and a lock box by my bed, so no problem; although my ammo and the stored guns must be kept separate. A little inconvenient, but very doable.

Kentucky promotes the idea that the foster children be allowed to participate in the same activities that their peer group participated in, which includes hunting, fishing , shooting sports and archery.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    As long as they are either stored in a safe, or in the direct control of the adult, it’s fine. I have a safe, and a lock box by my bed, so no problem; although my ammo and the stored guns must be kept separate. A little inconvenient, but very doable.

Kentucky promotes the idea that the foster children be allowed to participate in the same activities that their peer group participated in, which includes hunting, fishing , shooting sports and archery.
    Thanks. Too many states allow their child protective service to be too anti-2A. Good to hear KY is supportive of 2A foster homes.
    airslot and Redbert31 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Gman, God bless you and your better half for stepping up to a great need. I’m not sure I could succeed at it.
    Risasi, PPS1980, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Gman, God bless you and your better half for stepping up to a great need. I’m not sure I could succeed at it.
    Ha! Not sure if I can either, but here we go!
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Wife and I have decided to open up our home to kids in transition who are in foster care.
    At this time we are in the process of the required training to be officially licensed as a foster home.

Since we are both employed in the Child Protection Agency, we have seen the need, and it is great. A combination of kids having babies, and the drug epidemic, has ravished the minds and senses of many people with children in our care, and made it impossible for them to provide a good home for their children that is safe, nurturing and able to fulfill their needs.

Since we have the home with unused space, and plenty of outside area, we felt it was in us to step up and do something. Maybe we can impart something good in the children that will stick with them as they go forward. Maybe we will adopt in the process.

I thought my years of grow’in young’ins was over, but apparently not.

Would certainly welcome the prayers of the pray’in community here goin forward.
    Good on you and DW, Gman!

You are displaying the very best of our American culture and way of life.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I'm happy to say, as your first foster child I set a very high standard.
    I hope the others can follow.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Good for you. My wife and I are fosters as well. We desperately wanted to adopt the little girl that was in our care for 1.75 years. The state filed for termination and her lawyers kept delaying the hearing giving the mother a last chance to get sober. Since she was sober, the courts decided to return her to her mother. I have no idea why the mother (and father) couldn't get sober during the previous 2 years the child was removed from the home. It broke our hearts to see that sweet little girl go back to a parent that will likely start using drugs in the next few months. We pray for her every day.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

Sponsor
    I myself adopted a child many years ago and I admire you and your wife. God bless you and me and my wife will keep you in our prayers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Glockman10mm, what a kind and generous thing for you to do. I hope that this becomes a great part of your life.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    My wife and I started down this road 28yrs ago. She, being a school principal, really saw the need then. Well, we went through all of that training and never fostered any children...however, we did adopt our son at birth.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Good for you and your wife! I am sure you will be blessed as will the kids who you have an impact on!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Good for you Gman. I'm sure the little ones you provide with a safe and secure environment will flourish.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Good for the two of you. Now you don't have to babysit me, although I might have been more of a challenge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links