Labrum tear in my right shoulder.

This is a discussion on Labrum tear in my right shoulder. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Short version: I went to the doc for neck pain and found out the labrum in my right shoulder is torn. I havent been having ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Labrum tear in my right shoulder.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar

Short version: I went to the doc for neck pain and found out the labrum in my right shoulder is torn. I havent been having any shoulder pain. My arm had gone numb a few times though.

Anyways I am waiting to hear from the surgeon, the doctor I saw initially didn't waste any time referring me to him. The type of tear I have is a "superior labral tear from anterior to posterior". Looks like surgery is the only option on those.

The doc wanted to put me on light duty but I explained to him that there is no light duty with my job. I am guessing I have been living with the tear for a few months and a couple more weeks of work won't make much of a difference.

Living in the middle of nowhere is nice, till you find out the closet doctor that is capable of looking at this is 320 miles away in Billings. At least they have a Dickies BBQ.
    Sister, GpTom, G-man* and 3 others like this.

I have had both shoulders scoped. Slap tear/ labrum tear. Long recovery, but great outcome after. No more shoulder/neck pains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both of my shoulders are a mess. Swimming laps did them in. Had arthro on the right one, but it still gives me problems. I'll never throw a 100-MPH fastball again. I've learned to live with them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

I have issues with my right shoulder, I am gonna try to get by without surgery...that requires me to do therapy type exercises at times, but they are pretty effective at getting improvement in pain and range of motion. And, if I did them semi-regularly, I probably would not have these frequent relapses.
    The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver. Skeeter Skelton

My take as a physician (not orthopedic, I do disability exams now and see a lot of these cases) is that if you so nothing you likely will after time deteriorate to the point you will have difficulty doing your job if it requires heavy manual work. Surgery put off may make the eventual outcome less than what you would have if done earlier. The people I see often waited due to fear of the surgery or not having the insurance or funds to pay for the procedure. better Also those who did have surgery often did not have rehab afterwards and/or did not continue to do the exercises. They mostly end up with reduced range of motion and strength and with continued pains. I think the sooner the surgery, the more you participate in the rehab and continue exercises after rehab is done the more likely you will return to near normal (you will always have some loss of range of motion and strengh but you can minimize it). MY .02.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without.

NRA Life Member
    USNR -ret

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Both of my shoulders are a mess. Swimming laps did them in. Had arthro on the right one, but it still gives me problems. I'll never throw a 100-MPH fastball again. I've learned to live with them.
    But can you still play the violin?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

DownInTheDark, get it fixed and here's hoping you have a speedy recovery.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    But can you still play the violin?
    As badly as I ever could. I am much better with an accordion.
    bmcgilvray and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    Short version: I went to the doc for neck pain and found out the labrum in my right shoulder is torn. I havent been having any shoulder pain. My arm had gone numb a few times though.

Anyways I am waiting to hear from the surgeon, the doctor I saw initially didn't waste any time referring me to him. The type of tear I have is a "superior labral tear from anterior to posterior". Looks like surgery is the only option on those.

The doc wanted to put me on light duty but I explained to him that there is no light duty with my job. I am guessing I have been living with the tear for a few months and a couple more weeks of work won't make much of a difference.

Living in the middle of nowhere is nice, till you find out the closet doctor that is capable of looking at this is 320 miles away in Billings. At least they have a Dickies BBQ.
    I suffered with one for years before I found out they could fix it! Doc told me that it would end a pitchers useful life, but I would recover. [I'm not a pitcher] After surgery it took about three years to get back to normal again. The second time I tore the rotator cuff and bicep. And had to have some tendons re anchored. That was a longer process but a shorter heal.

Good luck on yours, they have learned a lot in the last 10 years. DR

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    My take as a physician (not orthopedic, I do disability exams now and see a lot of these cases) is that if you so nothing you likely will after time deteriorate to the point you will have difficulty doing your job if it requires heavy manual work. Surgery put off may make the eventual outcome less than what you would have if done earlier. The people I see often waited due to fear of the surgery or not having the insurance or funds to pay for the procedure. better Also those who did have surgery often did not have rehab afterwards and/or did not continue to do the exercises. They mostly end up with reduced range of motion and strength and with continued pains. I think the sooner the surgery, the more you participate in the rehab and continue exercises after rehab is done the more likely you will return to near normal (you will always have some loss of range of motion and strengh but you can minimize it). MY .02.
    My issue is recurrent bursitis...surgery is, typically, not the remedy for that unless bone spurs are present...I don't seem to have the spurs and hopefully they won't develop.
    Rockymonster and Sister like this.
    The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver. Skeeter Skelton

Just FYI: Orel Hershiser tore his labrum, got scoped, and eventually returned to pitching. Took him almost two years, but he pitched well for some time. He was the first guy I know of who made it all the way back, but he was a really hard worker and was on a team that knew the value of taking care of pitchers (at least back then :D).

I tore my left rotator (swimming), and had it scoped 9/4/18. Im swimming again, but itll still be several months before Im 100%. The annoyance was having to sleep in the sling for a month.
    Rockymonster, OD* and Sister like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Just coming up on my one year anniversary of rotator cuff and bicep tendon surgery. Its been a really slow recovery, and I still have a great deal of difficulty drawing from an IWB holster at 3:30....too painful and my range of motion is still limited.

I do ok shooting, but drawing is practically impossible as is reholstering. I have yet to go the AIWB route....just not comfortable with the thought of my weapon pointing you-know-where..... Not sure what to do about it.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy. - Joe Lewis

Im not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a little dirty.....

Member: GOA, SAF

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Ya I might be on borrowed time. I basically had my shoulder reconstructed in 2012 from a car accident, had the metal hardware removed in 2014, and tore my rotator cuff in 2016. But now that I am older and smarter I actually listen to the doc.

Thank you all for the support and similar situations.

I had a labral(slap tear) tear repaired from a fight on the job. The physical therapy took a bit longer but I have full range of motion.
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    Always when its hunting season and I dont know why.......
    DownInTheDark likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links