Venison Chili

Venison Chili

This is a discussion on Venison Chili within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seemed like a good day to cook up some venison chili. My chili varies from batch to batch, depending upon what I have to go ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Venison Chili

Distinguished Member

Venison Chili

Seemed like a good day to cook up some venison chili. My chili varies from batch to batch, depending upon what I have to go in it. Today's batch was as follows:

3lbs. ground lean venison
    2 yellow onions, minced
    2 tbs. canola oil
    8 oz. green chilis
    1 #16 can of tomatoes w/green chilies
    2 #16 can of diced tomatoes
    2 small cans of tomato sauce
    1 #16 can of chili beans in sauce
    1 #16 can of red kidney beans
    1/4 cup chili powder
    3 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp oregano
    t tsp thyme
    2 tsp black pepper
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    RedHot cayenne pepper sauce to taste.

Cook onions in oil, add meat and cook to brown. Add rest of ingredients. Cook for a couple of hours. Nothing fancy, but it tasted pretty good on a chilly day.

lVenison Chili-img_0072.jpg

Looks great! We just made some elk chili last week. Ours was very good, but your recipe sounds better!
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Looks great! We just made some elk chili last week. Ours was very good, but your recipe sounds better!
    Thanks. Most of the ingredients we always have around. I haven't had any elk chili in a while. That sounds good, too! Missouri is looking at having an elk season next year. It would be like winning a $100M lottery to get drawn with the chances you would have to be selected.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Thanks. Most of the ingredients we always have around. I haven't had any elk chili in a while. That sounds good, too! Missouri is looking at having an elk season next year. It would be like winning a $100M lottery to get drawn with the chances you would have to be selected.
    Premium tags are hard to come by in most states. To get a premium elk tag in Utah takes 20 years. The only reason I got my elk two years ago was because I paid $$$$ to hunt on private land through an agreement the state has with land owners where they "rent" out their land. The only way I will ever get a moose will be to go with a guide on private land.
    Old Man and OldChap like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member
    I like it where you acquire points towards being drawn for limited hunts. It makes me feel like I'm working my way towards success. At this point in my life, I don't have the time to wait nor the money to pay to play, so I am looking at those hunts that I have a good chance of being drawn. I was drawn for a special muzzleloader deer hunt in Missouri last weekend that I went on. Tough hunt for the old smoke pole hunter. Rained all day Saturday and heavy fog on Sunday. Would have been good if I were still able to walk enough to stalk and still hunt, but alas, I walk a little and sit for most of the time now. Unsuccessful on the taking of game, but very successful for getting to be with my oldest son in the evenings after the hunting.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Nice recipe.
    Hopefully a buddy will bring me some meat this season.
    I will keep your recipe in mind.
    Over the years I have also found out the secret is to use fresh spices.
    The ground spices on your shelf use their flavor over time. I replace them about every year or two.

Good recipe! Gave me some new ideas to incorporate into my own recipe.

Actually, I've never written down a recipe in my life. I just start with the basics and add what we have on hand, or what I feel like trying out. My last chili was something like this:

3 lbs. diced elk roast
    2 large yellow onions, diced
    one dozen medium roasted green chiles, peeled and diced
    2- 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
    4- 15 oz. cans red beans (any other kind --pintos, kidney, etc-- is OK, if your preferences differ)
    6- small bell peppers (last of the season in my garden), diced
    1/2 cup chili powder
    1-tsp. cumin
    2-tablespoons garlic salt
    2-heaping tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Basic prep is to brown the meat with onions, peppers, and spices mixed in to the (large skillet). Add contents and everything but the cilantro to the 8-quart crock pot. Let it go all day (6 hours or so) on "low" setting. Before serving add the fresh chopped cilantro (a very aromatic finishing spice, sometimes called "Mexican oregano") and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with fresh homemade flour tortillas, or fresh bread and butter. I like a little medium cheddar cheese on the side. A six-pack or two of your favorite cereal malt beverage completes the meal!
    M1911A1 and scottync like this.

Guys I hate to sound contrary or like a curmudgeon, but really??? BEANS? B E A N S? ? ?

I guess to each his/her own, as usual, but just a word of advice. If'n you ever enter a chili cook-off in Texas, be very, very quiet about the beans. Should you be discovered and hear the cries of, "get a necktie" just RUN!

I consulted Mrs OldChap and she agreed that education is better than scorn, so I will post you fellas a copy of the "Old Smoke Mouth Jack" chili recipe soon as we dig out an official copy. This one won a number of times at the World Chili Cook-Off event at Terlingua, Texas. I was given a copy by an old cowboy who worked as a wrangler on the '06 Ranch. Back shortly.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Guys I hate to sound contrary or like a curmudgeon, but really??? BEANS? B E A N S? ? ?

I guess to each his/her own, as usual, but just a word of advice. If'n you ever enter a chili cook-off in Texas, be very, very quiet about the beans. Should you be discovered and hear the cries of, "get a necktie" just RUN!
    Well, there is chili as eaten by civilized people all over the country, and there is "Tejano style". Both are good, well worth trying before bringing out the rope!

I consulted Mrs OldChap and she agreed that education is better than scorn, so I will post you fellas a copy of the "Old Smoke Mouth Jack" chili recipe soon as we dig out an official copy. This one won a number of times at the World Chili Cook-Off event at Terlingua, Texas. I was given a copy by an old cowboy who worked as a wrangler on the '06 Ranch. Back shortly.
    No self respecting Texan would ever put beans in his chili.
    The only thing I put in my chili is my spoon.
    Old Man, M1911A1, OldChap and 1 others like this.

I'll have to 2nd that OldChap. I put beans in my deer chili the first couple years. but after trying it without there's no way I'll go back. Looking forward to seeing that recipe

I also use cilantro for my chili, but reserve it for the end. After I've cooked all those delicious ingredients together, I get the cilantro. Then I walk over and throw it in the trash. I don't understand why people insist adding the taste of how dirty socks smell to their recipes.

PS, thanks for the recipe ideas!
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I also like to use a combination of ground and diced meat.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Good recipe! Gave me some new ideas to incorporate into my own recipe.

Actually, I've never written down a recipe in my life. I just start with the basics and add what we have on hand, or what I feel like trying out. My last chili was something like this:

3 lbs. diced elk roast
    2 large yellow onions, diced
    one dozen medium roasted green chiles, peeled and diced
    2- 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
    4- 15 oz. cans red beans (any other kind --pintos, kidney, etc-- is OK, if your preferences differ)
    6- small bell peppers (last of the season in my garden), diced
    1/2 cup chili powder
    1-tsp. cumin
    2-tablespoons garlic salt
    2-heaping tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Basic prep is to brown the meat with onions, peppers, and spices mixed in to the (large skillet). Add contents and everything but the cilantro to the 8-quart crock pot. Let it go all day (6 hours or so) on "low" setting. Before serving add the fresh chopped cilantro (a very aromatic finishing spice, sometimes called "Mexican oregano") and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with fresh homemade flour tortillas, or fresh bread and butter. I like a little medium cheddar cheese on the side. A six-pack or two of your favorite cereal malt beverage completes the meal!
    We have similar approaches to cooking! I don't really use recipes other than for ideas to start with and go from there. If I don't use venison, I will often use pork shoulders or butts, cut into approximately 1" cubes. I will also often use refried beans to thicken the chili. Fresh peppers and spices indeed make a better chili!
    retired badge 1 likes this.

Distinguished Member

@OldChap I am surprised that the beans/no beans controversy took so long to come forward! I have to admit, I like chili both ways. A former co-worker that was from Mexico gave me his recipe for chili forty years ago and I was surprised to see that there were no beans or tomatoes included. The red color that he achieved was from the spices and the meat was cubed pork. Probably still one of my favorite ways to make chili. If you find your copy of "Old Smoke Mouth Jack" I would be interested in seeing the chili recipe.
    OldChap and retired badge 1 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links