Bad News (Nodular Melanoma) - Page 2

Bad News (Nodular Melanoma)

This is a discussion on Bad News (Nodular Melanoma) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stay after it, CD! My pop has had several hundred skin cancer spots removed, quite a few being melanoma. Sounds like you are doing a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Bad News (Nodular Melanoma)

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Stay after it, CD! My pop has had several hundred skin cancer spots removed, quite a few being melanoma. Sounds like you are doing a good job, but question anything you think is out of sorts and if you have to, get another opinion. I know it sounds hokey, but I think attitude goes a long way to helping with recovery (positive attitude = less stress). We are all pulling for you!
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Prayers sent.
    ColoradoDiablo and Redbert31 like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Got bad news today. A supposed dermatofibroma turns out to be Nodular Melanoma (the worst and most aggressive form of skin cancer).

The dermatologist didn't think anything of the growth but I demanded it be removed and biopsied. Have appointments with medical oncologist and surgeon this Friday and Monday.

Hopefully it isn't into the lymph nodes and beyond.
    Not going to like your post, but know you are in my prayers.

My Best Friend's Sister beat Nodular Melenoma and has been cancer free 8-10 years now. It was a tough fight for her, but she's proof it can be won. There is hope. I can only imagine what they have learned in the last ten years.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You didn't say where the melanoma was, but having had it, let me give you a possible heads up.

I had it on the upper edge of my left ear. The wife badgered me long enough to get it checked out. Yep--cancer, melanoma. It went too deep for an "office" procedure that normally involved cutting out layers of skin until the bios show clear. I needed a surgeon.

On the AM of the surgery, to trace where the cancer may have spread, he injected five shots of day-glow nuclear stuff into the edge of my ear. All I'll say is, "Grit your teeth and bite down hard on leather!" The following scan showed a trace down the back of my ear and into the lymph glands on my neck.

In the OR, he cut out a pie-shaped piece of my ear, sewed it back together, and removed the lymph nodes in my neck. Results were a slightly lowered left ear and a scar down the neck. The node biopsies came back negative. It had not spread. The Stephen-Colbert ear and neck scar I can live with.

Follow-up treatment included a PET scan where you fast for a day and then they fill you with radioactive sugar and scan your whole body. The idea is cancer is very hungry--literally--and where the sugar is traced is indicative of where other cancer may lie. That also came back normal. The it was regular follow ups with the surgeon for a few years and forever follow ups with the Slice & Dice dermatologist.

One side effect of the radioactive shots was I set off the LEOs' radiation detectors at the truck weigh station. Their faces were priceless.

Hopefully your treatment won't be as involved, and a simple office procedure can take care of it, but expect medical monitoring for a long time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Very sorry to hear. Hope it all gets taken care of.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I wish you a swift and easy outcome.

I'm going to pray for you but I also want to post this reminder for all of us promising prayer

Old Man and Redbert31 like this.

Bad News (Nodular Melanoma)

+1 on the prayers, and a hearty second to the one (Double Naught Spy) who mentioned “positive mental attitude”. It’s the foundation of all that’s good! :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You didn't say where the melanoma was, but having had it, let me give you a possible heads up.

I had it on the upper edge of my left ear. The wife badgered me long enough to get it checked out. Yep--cancer, melanoma. It went too deep for an "office" procedure that normally involved cutting out layers of skin until the bios show clear. I needed a surgeon.

On the AM of the surgery, to trace where the cancer may have spread, he injected five shots of day-glow nuclear stuff into the edge of my ear. All I'll say is, "Grit your teeth and bite down hard on leather!" The following scan showed a trace down the back of my ear and into the lymph glands on my neck.

In the OR, he cut out a pie-shaped piece of my ear, sewed it back together, and removed the lymph nodes in my neck. Results were a slightly lowered left ear and a scar down the neck. The node biopsies came back negative. It had not spread. The Stephen-Colbert ear and neck scar I can live with.

Follow-up treatment included a PET scan where you fast for a day and then they fill you with radioactive sugar and scan your whole body. The idea is cancer is very hungry--literally--and where the sugar is traced is indicative of where other cancer may lie. That also came back normal. The it was regular follow ups with the surgeon for a few years and forever follow ups with the Slice & Dice dermatologist.

One side effect of the radioactive shots was I set off the LEOs' radiation detectors at the truck weigh station. Their faces were priceless.

Hopefully your treatment won't be as involved, and a simple office procedure can take care of it, but expect medical monitoring for a long time.
    Almost a psychological strategy; you now really want to beat the cancer just to be done with the treatment! :D ;)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Praying for you. The medical profession has made humongous strides in cancer treatment in just the past very few years. God is the Great Healer, and the good doctors are His assistants.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    It is on the neck below and behind my left ear. Worst places are head and neck...of course because if I'm doing something I don't go small.

U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Senior Moderator
    Godspeed. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Start wearing wide-brimmed hats.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

My Doc said mine was the result of childhood sun exposure, which immediately brought to mind the annual summer trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, and always getting fried. I'm sure my times in Thailand, Guam, and Diego Garcia didn't help any. Neither did being fair-skinned and red hair.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My best wishes for a complete recovery.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    My Doc said mine was the result of childhood sun exposure, which immediately brought to mind the annual summer trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, and always getting fried. I'm sure my times in Thailand, Guam, and Diego Garcia didn't help any. Neither did being fair-skinned and red hair.
    I'm below normal age for it and likely similarly exposure as a kid and throughout my career. Weird part is that the location is an area that is often covered. Being Eastern European Jewish decent didn't help too.
    OldVet, airslot, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links