Going to New Orleans

Going to New Orleans

This is a discussion on Going to New Orleans within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We don't get out much, so I wouldn't describe us as well-traveled and I would like to ask for some help. We're planning our first ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Going to New Orleans

Going to New Orleans

We don't get out much, so I wouldn't describe us as well-traveled and I would like to ask for some help. We're planning our first visit to New Orleans next April. We're seniors and no longer the all-night partiers of days gone by. (sniff) We need hotel ideas. Online, it's confusing to make out what's decent for price, safety, access to the things to do, etc. We are going for the food and music (blues) and to see some sights, although we're dodging two big fests. Any input would be nice. Thank you.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    My advice, is to try to find a hotel room that is actually in the French Quarter. It will save on taxis, or trying to park a rental car. It's nice to just step out of your hotel and already be where you want to be. It might be worth talking to a travel agent - sometimes they find better deals than you can. One other bit of advice, is to only be on the street there when the crowds are. You should be safe as long as there are a lot of other people around. When the crowd starts thinning out (late) it's time to go to your room.
    Pete63, Poorly, M1911A1 and 4 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member
    Poorly, my wife and I stayed at the Best Western Plus French Quarter Courtyard Hotel on Rampart Street. It was very nice, safe, and within easy walking distance of everything. One note -- it's across the street from Louis Armstrong Park -- don't go into there, especially at night.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Agree most of the big hotels in the French Quarter. Have stayed at quite a few.
    We usually fly in even though it is drive-able from Texas. Sometimes hotels charge a lot per day for parking.
    Fly in, Hotel shuttle from airport. Most everything in the French Quarter is walking distance. no car no problems
    The Quarter is safe if you use your common sense. We love NOLA.
    Breakfast at Mothers is a must .
    Beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde also a must do.
    Drinks at the Carousel Bar is fun.
    For a real treat get dinner reservations at Commanders Palace.
    So many great places to eat.

Distinguished Member
    +2 on every place Kilted Cowboy recommended. Our favorites as well.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Ex Member
    I have stayed at the Marriott on the edge of the French Quarter several times. No complaints and easy to get to attractions. There is a Double tree near it.
    Poorly and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    +2 on every place Kilted Cowboy recommended. Our favorites as well.
    Sounds like we need to meet up there sometime Wavy.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Most of the big name hotels will all be fine... Canal St. or in the Quarter. Windsor Court on S. Peter is the nicest hotel in the city... but also priciest. Hotels in the quarter are mostly all older, so small rooms. Monteleone is really cool. Roosevelt if your ok with the CBD (I'd be fine with it but it does create about a 4 block walk to get to the quarter). As for places to eat... man the list goes on and on and on.... If you're willing to get just a bit out of downtown there are some really nice places out towards uptown/garden district. Clancy's would be at the top of my list for really great and authentic local food but reservations weeks out are a must. Gautreau's is another really nice restaurant in the uptown area. Again uptown, Red Dog Diner has a great breakfast/brunch and really great lunch too. La Petite Grocery is another, again in the uptown area, - chef is a James Beard winner. Arnauds in the quarter is a staple... I am not personally a fan of Court of Two Sisters or Galatoire's but lots of people are. I can name restaurants for days...

Preservation Hall in the quarter is great for Jazz. You're probably more interested in Dauphin and Royal streets than Bourbon, but of course you have to take one stroll down Bourbon as long as your not too easily visually offended lol. Also be sure to swing by Napolean House for a Pimm's cup. Cafe du Monde for begniets... Will be a good time of year for a swamp tour if you're so inclined. There is an excellent company out of Slidell, Cajun Encounters, that runs tours in the Honey Island Swamp, it's absolutely beautiful and well worth it.

if you can't tell my wife and I love NOLA, we currently live about 1.5 hours outside the city but I lived there about 5 years... happy to help anyway I can.

C.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Most of the big name hotels will all be fine... Canal St. or in the Quarter. Windsor Court on S. Peter is the nicest hotel in the city... but also priciest. Hotels in the quarter are mostly all older, so small rooms. Monteleone is really cool. Roosevelt if your ok with the CBD (I'd be fine with it but it does create about a 4 block walk to get to the quarter). As for places to eat... man the list goes on and on and on.... If you're willing to get just a bit out of downtown there are some really nice places out towards uptown/garden district. Clancy's would be at the top of my list for really great and authentic local food but reservations weeks out are a must. Gautreau's is another really nice restaurant in the uptown area. Again uptown, Red Dog Diner has a great breakfast/brunch and really great lunch too. La Petite Grocery is another, again in the uptown area, - chef is a James Beard winner. Arnauds in the quarter is a staple... I am not personally a fan of Court of Two Sisters or Galatoire's but lots of people are. I can name restaurants for days...

Preservation Hall in the quarter is great for Jazz. You're probably more interested in Dauphin and Royal streets than Bourbon, but of course you have to take one stroll down Bourbon as long as your not too easily visually offended lol. Also be sure to swing by Napolean House for a Pimm's cup. Cafe du Monde for begniets... Will be a good time of year for a swamp tour if you're so inclined. There is an excellent company out of Slidell, Cajun Encounters, that runs tours in the Honey Island Swamp, it's absolutely beautiful and well worth it.

if you can't tell my wife and I love NOLA, we currently live about 1.5 hours outside the city but I lived there about 5 years... happy to help anyway I can.

C.
    Some good ideas. Thank you so much!
    Conundrum likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Agree most of the big hotels in the French Quarter. Have stayed at quite a few.

Breakfast at Mothers is a must .
    Beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde also a must do.
    Drinks at the Carousel Bar is fun.
    For a real treat get dinner reservations at Commanders Palace.
    So many great places to eat.
    This^^^^^^^^^
    +10 on the Commanders Palace, itís not in the quarter, but well worth the cab ride.
    Poorly likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

How mobile are y'all going to be? Both for wheels and how much walking do you want to do?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Most importantly, if you see a gorgeous blonde standing outside a bar, it's most likely a guy.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Most importantly, if you see a gorgeous blonde standing outside a bar, it's most likely a guy.
    LOL!!! Mostly after you cross St. Ann headed into the Quarter from Canal fortunately.
    HotBrass45 and Pete63 like this.

If you have time, check out WWII museum. Lots of war history there.
    KILTED COWBOY and Poorly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by z06tacoma View Post
    If you have time, check out WWII museum. Lots of war history there.
    Definitely on the list!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links