Gator Loads?

Gator Loads?

This is a discussion on Gator Loads? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and I are enjoying the southern climes and escaping the snow again this year. The older we get the harder it has become ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Gator Loads?

Distinguished Member

Gator Loads?

The wife and I are enjoying the southern climes and escaping the snow again this year. The older we get the harder it has become to enjoy cold snowy weather. We normally set up the winter southern residence on the Gulf Coast, but changed this year and are on the Atlantic Coast. The condo we are in is part of a golf community (neither of us play anymore) and along with the water hazards they are blessed with alligators. I watched a couple of nice ones yesterday of 8-9 foot from a respectable distance.

I was wondering about stopping one if it was desirous of chomping on Sweet Precious, the wife's dog, with the .38 S&W Special +P Gold Dot Short Barrel loads I was carrying at the time. I don't anticipate this ever happening, as the dog is always on a leash and we just stay on the cart paths or roads, but I was curious if any of the DC Forum folks have thought about this before. How hard is an alligators head and would a normal defensive hollow point load fail to penetrate the skull?

VIP Member
    Never been gator hunting, but the pros in the Louisiana bayou use .22 mag if I am not mistaken form watching Swamp People on the TV

Senior Moderator
    I have been gator hunting here in Florida and you cannot shoot the alligator until you have snagged (basically, bait and a wooden dowel) it and brought it next to the boat...then you can only use a 'bang stick' to finish it off. Shoot a gator in FL and be prepared to have a costly experience. If you have to deal with a bad gator actor, call fish and Feathers.
    Now if a gator were to grab my MIL, I would immediately run back to the house and call Ohio's 911...just kidding!
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I saw a gator capture guy here working on one in a bayou and he said he used a 40 S&W (Glock no less) but that is sort of different from hunting. The hunters use a .22 Magnum in a rifle.

Me? I don't ever want to have to shoot one, but I understand we do have some around here that can run as big as 16 feet!

Gator Loads?-download.jpg

This photo is, IIRC, from one in Florida who hangs around a golf course. I'm pretty sure of two things. One this size is formidable, probably requiring a 12 gauge with Breneke slugs. BUT they are not fast at this size, so my best bet is to get everything and everybody away - quickly. Other than that, I imagine I would want something that could handle a bear, just to be on the safe side.

@RETSUPT99 Bang Stick? A deacon in one of the churches I served was a master scuba diver since the 1950's and he had one that used (IIRC) a 12 gauge shell. Is that still true?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

From what I learned about gators from growing up in southern Florida, is if one put the chomp on “ Sweet Precious”, it’s too late....all over but the cry’in.

I watched a little Dachshund barking at one that was in the water at the edge off the lake.
    When them feet could touch the sandy bottom, it was over quick like.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

So much for napping in your lounge chair near that golf course.

I have no experience with those things, but here's something:
    Name:  alligator_quarter-sized-kill-spot.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  56.4 KB
    https://starcasm.net/photos-swamp-pe...-an-alligator/
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Bang sticks come in various calibers and gauges. The .38/.357 was the most popular with the spearfishermen. Just about any .38 Spec load worked fine. It was the blast more than the projectile that did the work.

Yeah, you'd want to be careful about shooting a gator here without a permit. It'd best be after you, not poochie. And never underestimate a gator's speed. Even the biggest ones are quick for the short sprint. The 3-4 foot ones in the canal behind my house are much faster than me, but they're heading for the water when I approach, not toward me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I heard that the gators in Florida only have an appetite for snowbird yankee meat .
    I think i heard it from @OldVet .:)
    OldVet, airslot, Old Man and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Bang sticks come in various calibers and gauges. The .38/.357 was the most popular with the spearfishermen. Just about any .38 Spec load worked fine. It was the blast more than the projectile that did the work.

Yeah, you'd want to be careful about shooting a gator here without a permit. It'd best be after you, not poochie. And never underestimate a gator's speed. Even the biggest ones are quick for the short sprint. The 3-4 foot ones in the canal behind my house are much faster than me, but they're heading for the water when I approach, not toward me.
    Interesting. My friend enlightened me about how the Bang Stick worked. Basically water does not compress, so all you need to do is develop enough pressure behind it. He said he always used the 12 gauge one because he took groups of divers out in the open ocean. He didn't want one to become a meal for a hungry shark.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Gators are amazingly fast and can outrun most any person or pet near the waters edge! Depending on where you are at in FL you need to be wary of the Burmese pythons and Nile Monitors which can be an even bigger threat! One of the officers I had working for me shot (2) Nile Monitors both with the issued Glock 35. BTW, this was about 250 miles North of Miami. These Monitors had been preying on cats and small dogs in a suburban subdivision.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Back when I was young and foolish I got talked into taking the shortcut from Miami to Fort Myers in the late afternoon.
    Pavement gets warm in the summer sun and when it gets dark the gators like to stay warm...
    Yea, won't do that again. The gators looked at my truck like, I was here first, go around.

On the other hand, a good gator steak really goes well over a candle light dinner. Especially when you give your Lady the handbag made from the hide.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Back when I was young and foolish I got talked into taking the shortcut from Miami to Fort Myers in the late afternoon.
    Pavement gets warm in the summer sun and when it gets dark the gators like to stay warm...
    Yea, won't do that again. The gators looked at my truck like, I was here first, go around.

On the other hand, a good gator steak really goes well over a candle light dinner. Especially when you give your Lady the handbag made from the hide.
    They call it Alligator Alley for a reason.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I saw a gator capture guy here working on one in a bayou and he said he used a 40 S&W (Glock no less) but that is sort of different from hunting. The hunters use a .22 Magnum in a rifle.

Me? I don't ever want to have to shoot one, but I understand we do have some around here that can run as big as 16 feet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	312972

This photo is, IIRC, from one in Florida who hangs around a golf course. I'm pretty sure of two things. One this size is formidable, probably requiring a 12 gauge with Breneke slugs. BUT they are not fast at this size, so my best bet is to get everything and everybody away - quickly. Other than that, I imagine I would want something that could handle a bear, just to be on the safe side.

@RETSUPT99 Bang Stick? A deacon in one of the churches I served was a master scuba diver since the 1950's and he had one that used (IIRC) a 12 gauge shell. Is that still true?
    The one we used was a .44Mag.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They call it Alligator Alley for a reason.
    That's EXACTLY what my Uncle told me when I got to his place in Clearwater about 2 hours later than planned.

Yep, I tend to learn things the hard way, but at least I don't usually repeat the same lesson twice.
    Redbert31, Old Man and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Gator hunters in Central Florida use a .223 Bang Stick......so most any old AR 5.56/.223 should do.
    Old Man likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links