New glasses, still canít see (old ppl thing?) - Page 2

New glasses, still canít see (old ppl thing?)

This is a discussion on New glasses, still canít see (old ppl thing?) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Around the age of 50 an optometrist changed the cylinder/axis for my astigmatism to such a degree I was seeing double in one eye (my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: New glasses, still canít see (old ppl thing?)

Around the age of 50 an optometrist changed the cylinder/axis for my astigmatism to such a degree I was seeing double in one eye (my only good eye) during the day and flares, bursts, other annoyances at night that made driving difficult. I took them back him, he checked the RX and said they were right, I just needed time to adjust. I don't go to optometrists any longer.
    Sister likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Optometrists, ophthalmologists, and opticians all have different skill sets and different training. Good ones and bad ones can be found anywhere. Shopping carefully is important and your own research is important.

You only get one set of those peepers.
    Sister likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    In my case it WAS the "top notch" ophthalmologist that could NOT make glasses that worked for me and who told me that was the best that could be done and I was stuck.

It was the optometrist who made the glasses that WORK.
    The glasses that worked best for me after my cataract surgery were drug store reading glasses. But of course, the drug store did not give me any diagnosis of eye disease. My optician gave me a decent Rx, but failed to diagnose the second type of cataracts I had. Had I stuck with her diagnosis, I might be seeing OK right now, but my vision would have definitely deteriorated over time. I think optometrists are great for prescribing glasses, but they are out of their depth in diagnosing medical conditions.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The glasses that worked best for me after my cataract surgery were drug store reading glasses. But of course, the drug store did not give me any diagnosis of eye disease. My optician gave me a decent Rx, but failed to diagnose the second type of cataracts I had. Had I stuck with her diagnosis, I might be seeing OK right now, but my vision would have definitely deteriorated over time. I think optometrists are great for prescribing glasses, but they are out of their depth in diagnosing medical conditions.
    Agreed, optometrists are useful for those that have young healthy eyes from birth. Nevertheless, a visit to an ophthalmologist about every ten years for everyone is still wise, not necessary, but wise. My brother lost one of his eyes to cancer at the age of 35. Extremely rare cancer. He survived an additional 18 years before it came back in his lymph system and took over his body.
    Sister and scottync like this.

Background
    I had cataract surgery in may 2018.
    Distance vision implants.
    I use drugstore 1.5 power readers.
    Wanted to give it a year for vision to settle in.
    Actually see 20/20 within a few days, but before buying prescription pair I waited over a year.

So last Dec I got a pair of bifocal glasses
    They work prescription wise.
    However I do not care for seeing the bifocal portion in my field of vision for normal use and distance views.
    As my correction is only 1.5 power I can get buy reading even with out the readers.
    So I am back to using drugstore readers only for close viewing .

Also I started wearing glasses at age 10 yrs.
    So I really like not needing glasses for driving etc.
    Consider trying different power readers before spending for prescription glasses.
    Regarding medical and vision exams be sure to get them.

New direction

Seeing my GP next Tue to be sent for a spinal tap and brain mri. Eyes all messed up, some days glasses work and on another nothing does. The left one, which was the good one, is impossible to get anything clear on. The good news, if they find what they are looking for is that it is treatable. MS would explain a lot of other crazy symptoms like falling a lot esp in the heat.

no worries God is in control and He is Good ❤️

Thank you all that replied, and @TexasRed for the eye doc PM info, good suggestion and He is in w my Baylor docs. 😊👍🏻
    flh, msgt/ret, scottync and 1 others like this.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    Agreed, optometrists are useful for those that have young healthy eyes from birth. Nevertheless, a visit to an ophthalmologist about every ten years for everyone is still wise, not necessary, but wise. My brother lost one of his eyes to cancer at the age of 35. Extremely rare cancer. He survived an additional 18 years before it came back in his lymph system and took over his body.
    My optometrist told me I had retinal scarring from working around chicken coops. I've seen 3 ophthalmologists this past year. They say retinal changes the result of aging and BP medication. Waiting on vision to stabilize for a vitrectomy. Getting older sucks.
    Rock and Glock and Sister like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

VIP Member
    @Sister , I know you said you have selected a doctor, but I am sending this link anyway. It may not be perfect, but it is one of many sites where you can find the ratings of doctors with different specialties.

http://www.healthgrades.com
    Sister likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

https://www.decot.com/content/Old_Pistol_Shooters.htm My local optometrist followed the formula outlined in this article much more affordably than Decot. I am mostly a handgunner so I have tri focals with the shooting focal at the top. Did not take long to get accustomed to them. The shooting focal is also helpful reading the truck dashboard instruments and the computer screen.
    Rock and Glock and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    https://www.decot.com/content/Old_Pistol_Shooters.htm My local optometrist followed the formula outlined in this article much more affordably than Decot. I am mostly a handgunner so I have tri focals with the shooting focal at the top. Did not take long to get accustomed to them. The shooting focal is also helpful reading the truck dashboard instruments and the computer screen.
    I do have glasses that are just for shooting, they did fix the double vision at a distance.

**Shooting glasses cannot fix the daily vision change. Yesterday was the left eye, today is the right. Doctor appt moved up for today and not next week. I fell again and didnít bounce, depth perception is way off am missing the mark of where to step.
    ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Seeing my GP next Tue to be sent for a spinal tap and brain mri. Eyes all messed up, some days glasses work and on another nothing does. The left one, which was the good one, is impossible to get anything clear on. The good news, if they find what they are looking for is that it is treatable. MS would explain a lot of other crazy symptoms like falling a lot esp in the heat.

no worries God is in control and He is Good ❤️

Thank you all that replied, and @TexasRed for the eye doc PM info, good suggestion and He is in w my Baylor docs. 😊👍🏻
    I had a brain scan once. The doctor said they didn't find anything significant. I'm still wondering how to take that...
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I had a brain scan once. The doctor said they didn't find anything significant. I'm still wondering how to take that...
    Lol, when the doc looks in my ear I hold my hand to the other ear and ask them how many fingers Iím holding up 😉

did have a brain scan years ago and was told it was shrinking...Iím guessing by now nothing left! 🤪
    ❤️

Cardinals pitcher Dizzy Dean was beaned by a line drive and knocked unconscious. He revived and was hospitalized for observation, after an xray. He was fine. Legend has it that a newspaper headline the next day read "X-ray of Dean's Head Reveals Nothing".
    msgt/ret likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Brain scan set for next Wednesday, they are knocking me out for it - good! Tried it once without drugs, didnít turn out well.

Vision has gotten worse, rather frightening tbh. Today driving is off for me, seeing literally two of everything, an over/under vision. Yesterday was just a bit of blurry in left, then right but no double like today.

Maybe it would go away if I started drinking?
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    ❤️

Hang in there, Sister. Vision issues are frightening for sure.
    You are your own first responder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links