Life in general, an update from the Recon1342 household...

Life in general, an update from the Recon1342 household...

This is a discussion on Life in general, an update from the Recon1342 household... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Itís been rather a long time since Iíve been here, and I thought it might be nice to catch you all up a bit. The ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Life in general, an update from the Recon1342 household...

Exclamation Life in general, an update from the Recon1342 household...

Itís been rather a long time since Iíve been here, and I thought it might be nice to catch you all up a bit. The Recon family has had its ups and downs over the past several years, but in general, we are doing okay. The kids are growing rapidly, and we are trying to enjoy all the time we can with them.

The biggest news, and the item that has required the majority of my focus, is the rapid deterioration of my wifeís hearing. She has always been hard of hearing, but had enough residual hearing to cope by lip reading and paying close attention to the speaker. About 2 1/2 years ago, she contracted strep and wound up with a rather severe case. Her fever spiked to 103 degrees and she was very nearly hospitalized. That fever destroyed nearly all her remaining hearing, leaving her practically deaf. These past two years have, accordingly, been spent learning a new language, and adapting to a new culture. We are doing well with it so far, and intend to keep on keeping on...

-Recon1342
    ďWe must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school.Ē
    Ė Thucydides

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Itís been rather a long time since Iíve been here, and I thought it might be nice to catch you all up a bit. The Recon family has had its ups and downs over the past several years, but in general, we are doing okay. The kids are growing rapidly, and we are trying to enjoy all the time we can with them.

The biggest news, and the item that has required the majority of my focus, is the rapid deterioration of my wifeís hearing. She has always been hard of hearing, but had enough residual hearing to cope by lip reading and paying close attention to the speaker. About 2 1/2 years ago, she contracted strep and wound up with a rather severe case. Her fever spiked to 103 degrees and she was very nearly hospitalized. That fever destroyed nearly all her remaining hearing, leaving her practically deaf. These past two years have, accordingly, been spent learning a new language, and adapting to a new culture. We are doing well with it so far, and intend to keep on keeping on...

-Recon1342
    Keep on loveing her and keep on going, I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Our best wishes are with you both.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm sorry to hear that. Does the total loss of hearing mean that she is not a candidate for cochlear implants? I don't know much about them, so I have no idea who may or may not benefit from them.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Those big health changes and the choices/decisions that come with them can easily overwhelm a person if you let them. Roll with the changes and continue to enjoy what you are able rather than lament what you no longer have.

Has been 2 years since my wife was moved to an assisted living facility as she had progressed to a point where I was no longer capable of caring for her here at home.
    That decision was difficult, but we continue to do as much as possible as a Family.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Recon, thanks for popping in with an update. I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles but I admire your commitment to handling these in such a positive manner. Adapt and overcome; we will be here whenever you feel like sharing.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself Ė "hands behind the back" Ė toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Prayers for both of you, Recon.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Glad to hear from you. Be her rock.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallsrider View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Does the total loss of hearing mean that she is not a candidate for cochlear implants? I don't know much about them, so I have no idea who may or may not benefit from them.
    CIs are a hot button topic in the Deaf world right now. If Mrs Recon were to elect to have them done, it would be an all or nothing proposition. If something goes wrong during the implant process, whatever residual hearing exists gets completely destroyed. Based on that, and the fact that it would be classified an elective procedure, we have decided as a family to forego implants. All of us are learning ASL, which is a stunningly beautiful language, by the way, and we are slowly assimilating into Deaf culture.
    My wife and I are enjoying the journey rather a lot; Deaf culture is vibrant and expressive, and extremely blunt. We fit right in...
    ďWe must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school.Ē
    Ė Thucydides

VIP Member
    I can relate to your wife's issue. When I was an infant, I ran 104 temp. for an extended period. It damaged my hearing, and it has never been good from that time on. Growing up, also, hearing protection for shooting, was not used. Then in the 60's & 70's I attended many loud concerts. I also worked as a machinist for decades, and it was then I found out how bad it was getting. The company I worked for keep two "full time RN's", to test us, every six months. I did protect what I had left, and actually got somewhat better, by running ear plugs AND earmuffs. I knew at some time, my hearing would go south, so I too, when to ASL school in Houston. I had already become adept at reading lips, as that's how I managed to make it through school without people realizing my inabiltity to hear well. I'm sorry for your wife's hearing loss.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Thank you, Pete. No need to be sorry, though. Like you, my wifeís hearing was damaged in early childhood. Iíve known this day was coming since I married her, just didnít plan on all of her hearing going away at once. Itís opened up a wondrous new world to my wife, who no longer needs to worry about whether or not she heard something correctly. She is, mentally speaking, much less exhausted after a night out with Deaf friends than after a night out with hearing friends. Iím perfectly Ok with that...
    Ė Thucydides

Thank you, Pete. No need to be sorry, though. Like you, my wifeís hearing was damaged in early childhood. Iíve known this day was coming since I married her, just didnít plan on all of her hearing going away at once. Itís opened up a wondrous new world to my wife, who no longer needs to worry about whether or not she heard something correctly. She is, mentally speaking, much less exhausted after a night out with Deaf friends than after a night out with hearing friends. Iím perfectly Ok with that...
    Ė Thucydides

Sorry to hear of her issues (no pun intended) but glad to hear the two of you are adapting and moving on in life.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That's a tough road, Recon. But you've been down some before and you know that the end of this one will be the most rewarding.

Semper Fi
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    Blessings to you both!

And also congratulations for learning new skills, meeting new people and always adapting and making the best of what life brings your way.

No "poor us" coming from your direction - just "LOOK and see what we can do now - with emphasis on "WE" - most excellent.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links