Wilderness/SHTF Wound Management - Page 7

Wilderness/SHTF Wound Management

This is a discussion on Wilderness/SHTF Wound Management within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by welder516 When military officials take othes i believe it is against foreign or domestic threats . Anyone please clarify if i am ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Wilderness/SHTF Wound Management

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    When military officials take othes i believe it is against foreign or domestic threats . Anyone please clarify if i am wrong and Patti is right if Martial law is called for they can use the military and pose further emergency laws in effect .
    I'm sorry Bucky, to be the bearer of bad news.

martial law legal definition of martial law

Martial Law

The exercise of government and control by military authorities over the civilian population of a designated territory.

Martial law is an extreme and rare measure used to control society during war or periods of civil unrest or chaos. According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304, 66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946]). However, most declarations of martial law have some common features. Generally, the institution of martial law contemplates some use of military force. To a varying extent, depending on the martial law order, government military personnel have the authority to make and enforce civil and criminal laws. Certain civil liberties may be suspended, such as the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, freedom of association, and freedom of movement. And the writ of Habeas Corpus may be suspended (this writ allows persons who are unlawfully imprisoned to gain freedom through a court proceeding).

In the United States, martial law has been instituted on the national level only once, during the Civil War, and on a regional level only once, during World War II. Otherwise, it has been limited to the states. Uprisings, political protests, labor strikes, and riots have, at various times, caused several state governors to declare some measure of martial law.

Martial law on the national level may be declared by Congress or the president. Under Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, of the Constitution, Congress has the power "[t]o provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel Invasions." Article II, Section 2, Clause 1, of the Constitution declares that "[t]he President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States." Neither constitutional provision includes a direct reference to martial law. However, the Supreme Court has interpreted both to allow the declaration of martial law by the president or Congress. On the state level, a governor may declare martial law within her or his own state. The power to do so usually is granted in the state constitution.

Administrator
    Please read the following....

Just a general reminder that this is not the OT/Humor area of the forum. I DO appreciate some of the yuk-yuk comments but, DO remember that right when we decided to add this area to the forum a Moderator decision was made to keep all comments in these serious Survival/SHTF threads as close to ON TOPIC as possible.

So please do not over-pollute this thread with unrelated jazz.

And just as an added FYI (in advance) should this thread be made a forum "Sticky" thread...expect an impending thread/post cleanup.
    Gimme_Coffee likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by hammer1270 View Post
    What About Snake Bites on the Butt?
    In that case you just have to keep the patient calm and hope the snake's fangs didn't go too deep. Rinse the wound but not aggressively. Most snakes bites are survivable. Don't give them aspirin, don't put ice packs on it or cool it, don't try to suck out the venom, don't apply a tourniquet. Keep patient hydrated. Do not give the patient any alcohol. It would be better to carry them out or improvise something to carry them out on to limit movement but if the patient is stable, slow walking with frequent stops. If the patient is kept still, keep them warm.

Now, if the bite were on an extremity you want to monitor for swelling. Measure around the bite and at areas between the bite and the heart. Remove rings, watches etc that might reduce circulation if swelling occurs.
    BigFED likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like the idea i got 6 years ad army ive had a bit of first aid training and have researched a lot of extra stuff my eyes were opened last year i was doing some wood carving ive done a 1000 times and got over cocky i guess but my hand where i know i shouldnt and cut it wide open i was in the woods and cut almost to the bone i always carry a first aid kit lucky i did that day bec i was by myself about a mile in the woods phone was in the truck could have been a disaster i super gluWilderness/SHTF Wound Management-image.jpged it shut i was really losing a bit of blood not i carry a stitching kit i got the needles at walmart curved and a spool of 6lb fishing line
    Patti likes this.
    NRA member
    US ARMY Military Police 2009-current
    OEF (2010-2011)
    Carry guns
    spring field 1911a1, glock 27, glock 23, glock 42, colt police revolver 38spl, charter arms undercover .38 spl and NAA Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    That is a great resource!

Personally, if your "first aid" kit does not have pressure dressings in various size I don't see the point. I recommend a cauterizing pen, an epi pen, big and small butterflies (glue if you know how to use it), as well as a bunch of full tubes of anti-biotic ointment.

Any kit that just has Band-Aids and items for minor cuts/irritations is nearly worthless. To me first aid is for something serious, not anything that will take a Band-Aid to fix. Those are just to get my kid to quit crying.
    The Army use to have a field medic manual that was in the first aid kits. I bought a surplus medic's kit and the book was worth the price of the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I like the idea i got 6 years ad army ive had a bit of first aid training and have researched a lot of extra stuff my eyes were opened last year i was doing some wood carving ive done a 1000 times and got over cocky i guess but my hand where i know i shouldnt and cut it wide open i was in the woods and cut almost to the bone i always carry a first aid kit lucky i did that day bec i was by myself about a mile in the woods phone was in the truck could have been a disaster i super gluClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	109708ed it shut i was really losing a bit of blood not i carry a stitching kit i got the needles at walmart curved and a spool of 6lb fishing line
    I was a volunteer fireman a long time ago and the town paid for us all to go to basic EMT training. The guys I worked with knew about it, so when someone lost a finger to a packing band they came and got me. Fortunately I had my first aid kit in my truck and remembered enough to stop the bleeding and preserve the finger.

I took a few refresher courses and the techniques and practices change all the time.

Last year I was at work and a friend had a seizure. It was the first one she had ever had and the managers started screaming at us to get away from her because they didn't want to be liable for any injuries. I was trying to clear the furniture away from her so she would injure herself and making sure she didn't choke to death and the woman manager was grabbing me trying to pull me away from her.

You never know when you'll need to administer first aid. I was behind a woman at the grocery store once and her 5 year old was standing up in the grocery cart. He fell out backwards and landed on the back of his head. The woman picked the kid up and started shaking him and screaming, "He's not responding". Sometimes doing the wrong thing can kill someone. I never found out how that ended. I convinced her that shaking him wasn't the best treatment for a possible broken neck or fractured skull.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Also back in 2013 i was driving home from work the car in front of me was driving crazy and went off the road and rolled twice landed on its tires the driver was knocked out and her three kids where in the back seat i was first to stop lucky ive had training first thing i did was brake the front passenger window all doors where locked only way i could get it no one was sitting there i checked the driver she was out cold at the same time i was asking the kids if they where hurt then i asked if their neck or back hurt only injury was one kid had a lil cut on his knee thank god so from there i got the kids out and put them about 10ft from the road on a nice grass spot so they were safe from traffic then i returned mom was awake now and trying to kick out window i calmed her down and told her she can hurt herself or paralyze herself by acting that way then after i got her calm i asked if her neck or back hurt she said yes os i had her sit there and i braced her neck for about 10 waiting on the emt well as soon as she calmed down i ensured her her kids were safe. DON'T TXT AND DRIVE. She could have killed someone or even her kids
    NRA member
    OEF (2010-2011)
    Carry guns
    spring field 1911a1, glock 27, glock 23, glock 42, colt police revolver 38spl, charter arms undercover .38 spl and NAA Mini

I used to do wilderness SAR. In the no hospital situation anything that requires surgery, well adios amigo. Any large open wounds or large burns mean infection. There are a whole class of people with compromised immune systems and who are insulin dependent diabetic, those will not last long.

In those situations a paramedic or combat medic would prove priceless.
    Gimme_Coffee and Rhinoman like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    That is a great resource!

Personally, if your "first aid" kit does not have pressure dressings in various size I don't see the point.
    I totally agree. Booboo items are fine but I am much more concerned with having [good] trauma dressings and LARGE wound closures.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Administrator
    Sure...we can "Stick" the thread. It's very worthwhile.

DONE.
    Gimme_Coffee likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sure...we can "Stick" the thread. It's very worthwhile.

DONE.
    Whee!! I started a thread! And people read it and replied to it! And it got stickied!!!

(Apologies to QKShooter and the other mods for my little personal-achievement happy-dance)
    1MoreGoodGuy and welder516 like this.

I wish a paramedic or combat medic would fit in our pockets. I believe we all would carry one as our EDC lol tobad
    NRA member
    OEF (2010-2011)
    Carry guns

basically, if much of anything befalls you, post shtf, you might as well eat your gun, and save yourself the agony (prior to dying from an enemy's attack or some disease, cause you are weakened.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer1270 View Post
    That's great!! Because my SHTF gear is 30 bottles of Tequila and 1 soccer ball named Wilson....
    Wilson is my new best friend
    only 30? that's hardly enough to get acquainted with your new friend..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Sponsored Links