No electricity No running water - Page 4

No electricity No running water

This is a discussion on No electricity No running water within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by flh @ OldVet , @ OldChap , @ Bigsteve113 Of course anyone else with any experience with living through a natural disaster, ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: No electricity No running water

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    @OldVet , @OldChap , @Bigsteve113
    Of course anyone else with any experience with living through a natural disaster, can you give some information as to what you did to prepare for the event and the aftermath, your experiences and insights be much appreciated and respected ...
    Things to stock up on, necessities: gasoline (rotate it out though, and use a stabilizer), engine oil, propane, propane stoves, water (and water storage tanks that you can fill prior to an event), water filtration systems (I like Sawyer products), a generator (just to run a few lights/freezer/fans/small a.c. unit), lanterns (fuel and propane), candles, fire starting tools (I buy lighters by the case cheap on EBay) flashlights, batteries, battery packs for phones (that can be recharged in vehicles if necessary, or by generator), radio, guns/ammo, toilet paper, food (I stock up on Mountain House products, but honestly I have never been forced to use them, my pantry and freezer is kept well stocked and that usually suffices), a stove top perculator coffee pot, cash, chainsaw/fuel/oil, axe, tarps, books.

I also feel better that I have a boat and fishing gear. Hunting equipment and hunting dogs. But I do that stuff anyway, and Ive never even come close to having to do it for survival, although plenty of that well stocked freezer is products of my hunting and fishing.

Luxuries: For the grandyoungins I keep a DVD player and plenty DVDs. My generator can run my TV and DVD, but cable is usually out longer than electricity. I run one small window A/C unit (I forget how many B.T.U.s , but its a small one) in the living room, and that is our cool room.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Im sure Im forgetting some stuff.
    flh and dp1911 like this.
    Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    I personally could survive with no electricity or running water. I have a battery pack that can provide some electricity for a mini-refrigerator and be charged by solar, I have food/water stored, and I have a water purifier so I am fairly well prepared.

Depending on how wide spread and the duration of the outages, my concern would be the second and third order effects.

How well the local government and businesses respond can have a big impact on my survival, especially considering I live in a highly populated area. Is the local government able to respond in keeping order? Are local business, especially grocery stores, still able to function and resupply. How quickly people, who are not prepared, panic and how well they are dealt with can impact my safety.

Unless you live in a rural or secluded area, your preparations are only a small part of surviving without water and electricity.

No electricity, no problem. No running water, no problem. Too much water, problem.
    Hurricane Ike was a minor inconvenience in my neighborhood. I actually ended up taking my boys on a road trip after the power came back on because schools were closed for a week. Harvey was another animal altogether. We had all moved upstairs and were comfortable when the boats came. We were good to go for about ten days, but only planned on staying three. The one thing we had not considered was where was the dog going to relieve herself?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a well. So as long as I have fuel for the generator I can have all the water I need. Running the generator for 10 minutes would get several families enough water for several days of necessity water. Figure 10gpm of flow that is 100 gallons of clean water in 10 minutes.

If I had to it could filter water with my backpacking setup. It is a platypus filter. Works off of gravity so just have to be able to fill the bag. https://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Grav...22458468&psc=1

Still have to treat with bleach or boil but makes bad water much better.

We have a still for distilling water. ( left over from son's science fair project), I would however caution against looking a distillation for a way to make pure water. It is very fuel inefficient. You burn lots of fuel, whether wood or other for the amount of pure water you end up with. Does it work, yep, but there are much better ways IMO.

Electricity I can live without after current cold food stores run out. . (other than well pump).

Would it suck to live in East Texas during the summertime without the ability to run the a/c or a fan. You bet. Would be learn to live with it. Yep, folks did it for a very long time.
    dp1911 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I was 8 years old when we finally got electrified. My dad went out and bought a Emerson B&W TV. We had three stations, ABC, CBS, and NBC. Yes, you actually had to get up to change the channels. There was no remote control, internet, texting, not even 8 tracts. (Had to throw that in).
    The stations signed off at midnight with the Indian test pattern showing until 6 am when they all signed on with the Star Bangled Banner.

We had a pump for water, and a outhouse which was 50 feet too close in summer, and 50 feet too far in winter.

My aunt had a grist mill where she made corn meal and flour. Loved it when she cranked up the Vicrtola! People today are pansies. I truly believe today's millenials would commit suicide if they grew up the way I did.
    flh, PhaedrusIV, Sister and 3 others like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    At my age and physical condition, I'm more concerned with the luxuries of life than going primitive. I've got a generator and gas to get by for a few days following a hurricane, but after that

there's a hotel somewhere with a reservation in my name. Have car; Will travel.
    Just make sure that hotel is no more than thirty minutes away, or those pesky grandkids are gonna be bored spitless !

Pro tip: gramps can lead them in singing camping songs (ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall...)
    Sister likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Pro tip: gramps can lead them in singing camping songs (ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall...)
    Bottles? I always thought it was barrels...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I was 8 years old when we finally got electrified. My dad went out and bought a Emerson B&W TV. We had three stations, ABC, CBS, and NBC. Yes, you actually had to get up to change the channels. There was no remote control, internet, texting, not even 8 tracts. (Had to throw that in).
    The stations signed off at midnight with the Indian test pattern showing until 6 am when they all signed on with the Star Bangled Banner.

We had a pump for water, and a outhouse which was 50 feet too close in summer, and 50 feet too far in winter.

My aunt had a grist mill where she made corn meal and flour. Loved it when she cranked up the Vicrtola! People today are pansies.

I truly believe today's millenials would commit suicide if they grew up the way I did.
    A lot of this sounds remarkably familiar, @flintlock62 , apart from the grist mill, the outdoor plumbing, and the fact that we always had electricity.

Oh, and the fact that our B&W TV (same 3 networks) was a Bendix, as was the washing machine.

Heck, just reading about all this is making me feel suicidal.
    Sister likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

we are good on water... I could purify from the river if I had to. I have several full 55gal rain barrels as well
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

After Irma the roads where I live were flooded so if you weren't prepared you were SOL. I've got non perishable food and potable water on hand all the time. Also keep a couple of those bathtub liner thingies around. If I need additional food there's a lake full of bass and gators in the backyard. Candles and batteries for after dark. Books for entertainment. I have a battery pack charger for the phone since I sometimes get cell service back before power.
    Got one of these too https://smile.amazon.com/Survivor-Fi...survival+straw
    flh and Instymp like this.

You could go stay at the Motel 6, They leave the lights on for you!
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Administrator
    There are multitudes of ways to purify water and make it potable.

It just requires a bit of reading on the subject.

The Chlorine Dioxide tablets are a must. They do not make your water taste like bleach.
    Buy the ones in the individually sealed foil packets.

I am very redundant on water purification.

We are drowning in available water to purify in Pennsylvania.

In some areas of the country finding enough available water is much more difficult.

I would suggest that everyone stock up on distilled water. It should read "O" on a TDS meter. (Total Dissolved Solids)

You can buy a TDS meter for about $10.00

Distilled water has medical uses just as it is. For drinking (since it contains nothing) you would need to add rehydration salts.

Potassium, Sodium, and a few drops of trace minerals. You can buy Rehydration Salts in sealed packets...it keeps forever.

The BERKEY water filtration system is excellent. They filter a LOT of water.

You Can cheat and just us a Berkey filter inside a plastic bag and nip the corner of the bag and seal the nozzle up tight.

Pour the water into the bag after you filter out most of the Solids through a few layers of T-Shirt first.

If the Black Berky filter clogs - you can lightly "wet sand" the surface and rinse and you're "good to go" again.

The "test" for the Berky filters is a few drops of food coloring in the unfiltered water.

If the filtered water drips out clear....the filter is still working effectively.

The Berkey filter does not filter out flouride. You need a secondary flouride filter.

I have filtered water through charcoal taken from a hardwood fire and busted up into chunks.

That works perfectly.

There are many effective straw type filters like "Life Straw" they do work just fine and hardly weigh anything.

I have several in each B.O.B. - There is everything a straw type filter that filters out radiation.

If you plan on using bottled bleach then you need to replace it at least once a year. It has a shelf life and will not keep forever.

You can actually purify water that contains sewage but, do you really want to drink excrement and urine just because it won't kill you.

A very large tarp spread out with propped up edges can catch a huge amount rainfall during a good storm.

Iodine works...pay attention to the skull and crossbones on the label. Don't overdo it.

Sunlight WILL destroy parasites in water. Clear plastic bottles laided on a black background in strong sunlight for a few hours will kill the nasty stuff.

Viruses in water can be a whole different ballgame but, fortunately not really a problem in most areas.

But, living viruses in water has been slowly on the increase. A few cases here and there do pop up.

Portable filters that do filter out viruses cost more $$$.

They would be worth the extra expense if the S totally hits the fan and there are dead Folks fbloated and floating in your only water source.

Everybody should determine the best ways to filter available water in their respective area of the country.

There is a underground stream still running in my immediate area so with a bit of digging it's possible to open that one up.

They used to be used to fill the horse troughs on a couple of streets in my neighborhood.

So...I wouldn't have to hike down to the Ohio River to catch water.

Captivating and necessary topic...so do keep addingposts to it.
    flh, Risasi, BigJon10125 and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No problem here. Have a stream behind my house, plenty of fire wood and to many squirrels to mention.

No electricity and no running water? Sounds like my hunting cabin.

I prefer filtered water to tablets. Boiling is fine, but the micro organisms stay in the water and it takes a lot of fuel. I've heard of bleaching water, but you need to be very careful to keep it diluted. And then you run the risk of not killing the critters.
    Psalm 144:1

There was an algae bloom in Detroit Lake which put cyanotoxins in the municipal drinking water coming from the river. They told people not to drink the water and it lasted off and on for a few weeks. They said that filters or boiling the water did not remove the cyanotoxins. People were panicked because they had no water to make formula for their babies. Stores were sold out of bottled water.

I told my mother-in-law that we could bring over some cases of bottled water. She said to save it for us and she would go to the water distribution point. I told her we had ten cases of bottled water stored and we had filters that did remove the cyanotoxins. She asked why we had the water and filters. I told her we were prepared for a 9.0 earthquake or other natural disaster and it was a good time to turn over our stock of bottled water. We have enough non-perishable food to last for a couple of months. I hope we have enough guns and ammo to keep what we have.
    flh and dp1911 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links