Appalled by what we saw in Southern California - Page 2

Appalled by what we saw in Southern California

This is a discussion on Appalled by what we saw in Southern California within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by G26Raven Yesterday, we attended a celebration of life for the wife of one of my employers that I worked for and became ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Appalled by what we saw in Southern California

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Tacomaaroma
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Yesterday, we attended a celebration of life for the wife of one of my employers that I worked for and became friends with when I worked in the diving industry. The event took place last night at a very nice venue in San Diego county. We had driven down Thursday afternoon, and spent Friday morning walking the perimeter of the La Jolla cove, one of the most beautiful spots in Southern California. It was the first time my wife and I had been back to the San Diego area since we moved to southern Utah five years ago.

    To say we were completely shocked by the incredible number of new developments, hotels, freeway overpasses and traffic would be an incredible understatement.
    Makes me cringe to think what the Goleta/Santa Barbara area looks like now. I lived in Goleta and went to school in Santa Barbara, which is where I got my commercial diving training by the way. Left in 79, went back a few times in the early 80's. Back then there was nothing north of Goleta till you got to San Luis Obispo, which wasn't exactly the big city. The coast line from Goleta north was pristine, nothing but private ranches and farms. I loved living there, no So Cal crowds, no So Cal lines. Ten minutes east were a number of unknown canyon roads, private racetracks for me where I cut my teeth on my on my motorcycles. Lived on Abalone, lobster and speared fish. Good livin back in the day.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

  2. #17
    New Member Array soonershoote01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma USA
    Posts
    10
    A big issue with Cali is the number of people moving in via immigration (legal and illegal). Its almost impossible for local government to keep up with roads and housing when you population increases at such high rates > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California#Population it makes for crowded roads and messy traffic flow.

    I can remember a friend telling me how he used to hunt in the fields in Mission Valley near what is now Fashion Valley Mall.
    QKShooter likes this.
    NRA Lifetime
    Gun Owners of America
    National Shooting Sports Foundation
    Oklahoma 2A Organization

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    3,744
    ...what a depressing thread!

    Smog sure is nice here in Houston, I like that nobody speaks english 🤣


    [just rattling your cage G26 😉]
    G26Raven, Pete63 and Bad Bob like this.
    Trust God.

    What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

    Think about it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #19
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moderator Central
    Posts
    142,786
    I don't really want to imagine civilized society if cell phone service goes kaput for 24 hours.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    5,789
    I knapped a rock down on the creek the other day. I got a nice but short edge without a point about one inch long, enough to open up a deer.

    We and my Springer could easily funnel such a beast into a gountlet of coal hardened tipped wood spears should the time come.
    QKShooter likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  7. #21
    Senior Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I don't really want to imagine civilized society if cell phone service goes kaput for 24 hours.
    It's chaos. You don't even need to be in a large urban city for that to be funny, and sad, to watch. We had a partial power outage that took out a main feed for cell phones several years ago.

    Fifteen years before that, no one would have cared. Cell phones were not in wide use at that time.
    G26Raven and QKShooter like this.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array pogo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    3,292

    Balanced view of San Diego

    I was interested in this posting as I have lived in San Diego for the last 40 years, not far from La Jolla, the suburb mentioned by the OP. In the past I have lived in Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC and small town Iowa, so that is my basis of comparison. I like San Diego and have no plans to move away, even after I retire in a few years. Like most places, San Diego has good and bad features. Here are a few of them in my opinion:
    Good points:
    - Best climate in US - mild temperatures, low humidity, outdoors activities like golf every month of the year.
    - Local politics evenly balanced between Republican and Democrat, unlike LA or San Francisco which are Democrat controlled.
    - Very good local economy with plenty of good jobs - lots of successful startup companies hiring people.
    - Lots of active duty and retired military people, who are generally very good citizens.
    - Low crime rate compared to most of the US - check the FBI crime stats.
    - Excellent scenery, including coastal beaches, mountains and deserts within San Diego County.
    - The local sheriff has been issuing CCWs to normal people in recent years - I think the Peruta case made him reconsider his former position.

    Bad points:
    - San Diego is trapped in the state of California, which is poorly run and prone to leftist excesses.
    - The population and traffic have increased considerably over my 40 years here. Road building is struggling to catch up.
    - San Diego has a good number of homeless people, although LA and San Francisco have many more.
    - San Diego has a good number of illegal immigrants, mainly honest and hard working but with a few bad apples.
    - The cost of living is high, especially housing.
    - The state and local taxes are high.

    But once you are established in San Diego with a decent job, housing you can afford, a reasonable commute and a CA CCW, it is not a bad place. I will sure take it over Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC and Boston, where I have lived in the past.
    QKShooter and flintlock62 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    5,789
    We'll see how smart we really are sooner or later.
    Rick McC., G26Raven and QKShooter like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  10. #24
    Member Array Rick McC.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Weeki Wachee, FL
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    We'll see how smart we really are sooner or later.
    Iím afraid youíre right...
    QKShooter likes this.

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I don't really want to imagine civilized society if cell phone service goes kaput for 24 hours.
    Well, great. If you can't answer my smoke signals then who?
    QKShooter likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    4,282
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I was interested in this posting as I have lived in San Diego for the last 40 years, not far from La Jolla, the suburb mentioned by the OP. In the past I have lived in Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC and small town Iowa, so that is my basis of comparison. I like San Diego and have no plans to move away, even after I retire in a few years. Like most places, San Diego has good and bad features. Here are a few of them in my opinion:
    Good points:
    - Best climate in US - mild temperatures, low humidity, outdoors activities like golf every month of the year.
    - Local politics evenly balanced between Republican and Democrat, unlike LA or San Francisco which are Democrat controlled.
    - Very good local economy with plenty of good jobs - lots of successful startup companies hiring people.
    - Lots of active duty and retired military people, who are generally very good citizens.
    - Low crime rate compared to most of the US - check the FBI crime stats.
    - Excellent scenery, including coastal beaches, mountains and deserts within San Diego County.
    - The local sheriff has been issuing CCWs to normal people in recent years - I think the Peruta case made him reconsider his former position.

    Bad points:
    - San Diego is trapped in the state of California, which is poorly run and prone to leftist excesses.
    - The population and traffic have increased considerably over my 40 years here. Road building is struggling to catch up.
    - San Diego has a good number of homeless people, although LA and San Francisco have many more.
    - San Diego has a good number of illegal immigrants, mainly honest and hard working but with a few bad apples.
    - The cost of living is high, especially housing.
    - The state and local taxes are high.

    But once you are established in San Diego with a decent job, housing you can afford, a reasonable commute and a CA CCW, it is not a bad place. I will sure take it over Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC and Boston, where I have lived in the past.
    I really hated leaving San Diego when I was there in the early 70's. There was one evening I was on my motorcycle in December, and got chilled in my short sleeve shirt! I had to get back to family and friends, so I reluctantly left. The people there were very friendly and felt I rarely met a stranger. I understand I wouldn't recognize San Diego today. On the flip side, I had a Yamaha Trail bike, and rode near the border often. I saw so many illegals crossing, it was unbelievable.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

    Flint

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,456
    My aunt lives in La Jolla and I work with UCSD frequently. Yes- If you had to pick a major California urban center to live, SD would be miles ahead of LA and Bay Area.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; June 17th, 2019 at 12:07 PM.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

    Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

    When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •