Appalled by what we saw in Southern California

This is a discussion on Appalled by what we saw in Southern California within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, we attended a celebration of life for the wife of one of my employers that I worked for and became friends with when I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Appalled by what we saw in Southern California

Yesterday, we attended a celebration of life for the wife of one of my employers that I worked for and became friends with when I worked in the diving industry. The event took place last night at a very nice venue in San Diego county. We had driven down Thursday afternoon, and spent Friday morning walking the perimeter of the La Jolla cove, one of the most beautiful spots in Southern California. It was the first time my wife and I had been back to the San Diego area since we moved to southern Utah five years ago.

To say we were completely shocked by the incredible number of new developments, hotels, freeway overpasses and traffic would be an incredible understatement. It really made me sad to think about what will happen when (not if) some cataclysmic event takes place in the future, be it an earthquake, pandemic, EOTWAWKI, etc. Tens of thousands, if not millions of people are going to die there, because there will simply be not enough food, water or power, in the event of a catastrophe. Ironically enough I am reading a very good book on that exact subject, Black Autumn: A Survival Post Apocalyptic Thriller.

Incredibly sad to think about what I believe to be inevitable. Unfortunately, I don't believe our chances of long term survival are much better where we live in Utah. The soil is terrible for farming, water is scarce, and even if we laid in a year's worth of food and water, I don't believe the U.S. would be up and running in a year's time in the event of societal collapse. At 66, I am just thankful we have had the opportunity to live the life we have enjoyed.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I remember when SD was almost all canyon. Rt 52 started at I5 and ended at I805.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

VIP Member
    Navigation on the freeways in and around San Diego is enough to drive you crazy, too, G26Raven. I haven't driven there or in the LA area in years; I just refuse to go there.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I pulled the grapevine hill for the last time in 1976 and have never returned. I went back to Northern CA a few times and even lived briefly for a job but, nothing south of Eureka.

I grew up in San Diego, it was a great place to grow up during 50's and 60's and even into the 70's. We left San Diego in September 78 moving to Utah. We love living in Utah, it has been a great life and we don't miss So. Cal at all. We were back there a couple of weeks ago and it is crazy. I could never live there again, besides most everything I own is illegal there.

San Diego is no different than every other metropolitan area in that sense.
    We get the government we deserve.

I grew up in Orange county back in the 60s. We were surrounded by orange groves, Irvine was all agriculture, and it was a bastion of conservatism. Now, when I travel there for business I feel like a stranger in a strange land. San Diego with its crime and traffic, has become unlivable!
    G26Raven and QKShooter like this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Attachment 293760Mission Valley
    Attachment 293764San Diego River, Mission Valley
    Attachment 293762Crystal pier, Pacific Beach
    Attachment 293766Mission Bay
    Attachment 293768Crystal pier, Pacific beach
    Attachment 293770Mt Soledad looking south to Coronado Islands and Mexico
    Not my photos, just photos I've come across of my old home town. Grew up there in the sixties and seventies, evacuated the area in '87.
    G26Raven likes this.

Senior Moderator
    A beautiful area for sure. Torrey Pines was just up the road, by Scripps Green Hospital. Nice area.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    San Diego is no different than every other metropolitan area in that sense.
    @Havok pointed out the reality of development along the coastlines of the US. I grew up in a new suburban community just 2 miles from Philadelphia. There was quite a bit of undeveloped land between where I lived the and where I live now — 17 miles SW. When I was 7 — 70 years ago — my dad took me to see Brandywine Battlefield State Park where he Colonial Army lost the battle that caused moving the Government out of Philadelphia. I recall the area being mostly farm land dotted by country houses here and there. When I moved out here it had changed dramatically, but there was still much open space. That was five years ago. Now all that has changed. Apartment, condo, and housing developments with the accompanying commercial properties have sprung up all around me. It is not the same place in just 5 years. I am considering moving to a more rural location, but I wonder how fast any area I might move to might change. Oh well, at ny age I ought to just expect that progress is not always satisfying.
    Havok, G26Raven, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

1942Bull, even the small semi-rural town we moved to 5 years ago here in Utah is growing quickly. We had hoped that the winter snow here would keep some people at bay, but that does not seem to be the case.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

I was born and raised in California. Grew up there in the '50s through late '70s. From 1969, the year of the giant oil platform blow out in the Santa Barbara Channel, until 1977, I lived in Santa Barbara. Many years later, yet many years ago, I ran into a couple who lived in StaBar. I mused that I wanted to go visit there, but they told me in no uncertain terms to not go back. Nothing was the same. It was more crowded and dirty than I was likely to remember. They suggested I savor my memories because nothing was as it was in my day. I took their advice.
    QKShooter and Rick McC. like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

These little farm towns where people have moved away and the "town" is basically dying on the vine are becoming more attractive to me, as long as the essentials are within reasonable driving distance. Remoteness has its good points.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If you read the survial threads on CALGUN they talk about this a lot ,, short story is as you said if you live any where near the major cities your dead if it goes down ,, too many people too many land to cover till you get to less people
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    These little farm towns where people have moved away and the "town" is basically dying on the vine are becoming more attractive to me, as long as the essentials are within reasonable driving distance. Remoteness has its good points.
    I would have chosen a more remote location if I could, but my wife has vision issues (suffered a semi-detached retina a few years back and is susceptible) and does not want to be too distant from medical care in the event we have an issue. Since we are both in our late 60s, I have to respect her concerns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links