Tri fuel generator

Tri fuel generator

This is a discussion on Tri fuel generator within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a good Tri fuel portable generator for home backup...gasoline, propane or natural gas. Would normally be run on NG but like to have ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By TSKnight
  • 9 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 3 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By Pete63
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Pete63

Thread: Tri fuel generator

Tri fuel generator

Looking for a good Tri fuel portable generator for home backup...gasoline, propane or natural gas. Would normally be run on NG but like to have other options.

Online searches turn up little unless I’m not looking in the right places.

Suggestions welcome!
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Propane to Natural gas are pretty easy to switch. Mainly just the difference in fuel pressure that needs to be addressed (different jets, regulator, etc.).

My neighbor just picked up a military surplus multi-fuel gen-set.
    Four generators on a mobile chassis completely self contained.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Be careful if going with a natural gas model! In my coastal Gulf Coast area the the first thing that happens before the hurricane arrives is the gas utility company shuts off the gas supply for safety reasons! A large propane tank is better at least in my area. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Here are a few sources:

Hope it helps.
    Old Man, 10thmtn and Pete63 like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    You might call these guys, as they're close to you.

https://www.generatorsupercenter.com/
    10thmtn likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Yeah, I would forego the natural gas...propane rules in backup generators in my area and there are never problem associated with getting it. But, if you want 3 fuels...hey, go for it.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Be careful if going with a natural gas model! In my coastal Gulf Coast area the the first thing that happens before the hurricane arrives is the gas utility company shuts off the gas supply for safety reasons! A large propane tank is better at least in my area. Just my .02 worth!
    We’re in Spring, about 30ish miles north of Houston. My family here went through Harvey, and didn’t lose power or natural gas. However, flooding in the surrounding area kept them home bound for a week. Hence my desire for natural gas...might not be able to get out of the neighborhood for refueling gasoline or propane. Hopefully we’re far enough away from the coast.

Storage of enough propane is a problem, and gasoline is hazardous and goes bad after a while. We had a gasoline generator at my old home, and rotating the fuel supply was a pain. And if power goes out, gas stations can’t pump gas even if they have it...if you can even get there.
    5lima30ret and Pete63 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    You might call these guys, as they're close to you.

https://www.generatorsupercenter.com/
    Awesome, thanks. Will call them today.

Edit - they only install the expensive standby units, not portables. Thanks anyway
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 16th, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Pete63 likes this.

I went with a propane generator because of so many issues with gasoline storage.

No regrets.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Nothing wrong with having a Plan A, Plan B, and a Plan C.
    TSKnight and 5lima30ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Will call them today.

Edit - they only install the expensive standby units, not portables. Thanks anyway
    No problem. I've not stopped in there, to see the inventory. Just knew they were close, as I pass by there all the time when traveling to town. They also advertise a lot locally. Just thought they might carry what you needed.
    10thmtn likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I have seen the Generac like the one I had installed about 4 years ago.
    20 K output, and is driven by Natural gas
    Works like a charm. Can be adapted to Propane in minutes if a person follows directions in owners handbook.
    Mine does an auto check and run up then back down once a month.
    Conversion needs to be done by qualified service person, or owner following instructions.
    A little spendy, but to have my water well working, and heaters working will help with depression.
    I will answer any questions when I have time. Usually next day or two.
    Tom in Oregon TKH

Sponsored Links