Tick bites. - Page 2

Tick bites.

This is a discussion on Tick bites. within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ GpTom , sorry to hear about your son and dau-in-law. Tough row to hoe. Prayers for their continued recovery....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Tick bites.

@GpTom , sorry to hear about your son and dau-in-law. Tough row to hoe. Prayers for their continued recovery.
    rotorhead1026 and Sister like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

@OldChap , thanks for the link to the non-chem repellent. We’re outdoors almost all the time and aren’t inclined to “wear” harmful chems that our skin is likely to absorb. This herbal stuff claims high effectiveness and low chem content. Attractive to us. Thanks for the link!
    OldChap, Sister and GpTom like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Senior Moderator
    We've had ticks in the past in our yard, but since now having chickens, there's not a one to be found. We let the chickens roam the back every day for about 6-8 hours. That seems to have taken care to THAT problem!
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

And last year I had a physical no insurer would have approved normally. Fluoro, CT, ultrasound, extensive blood work, MRI, all served to rule out the usual suspects and prove what we weren’t looking for - I was otherwise really healthy. Lyme disease is called the great imitator. My symptoms were dramatic which resulted in intense investigation to find cause. Many people apparently have milder symptoms of entirely other sorts that may mimic fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, or any of many other maladies. Until the disease is treated properly, the host continues to suffer nerve and muscle degradation.

We’ve always been leery of ticks but now have a special regard for them. We live in the woods, spend a lot of time walking and working there. Our plan is Not so much for prevention but simply vigilance of tick exposure.

Good summary, thanks.

And, with apologies for taking this excellent thread just a bit sideways, when you "nuke" yellow jacket nests, how do you go about it? Thks

/
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    A lot of friends who are Texas Game Wardens have recommended this stuff. Put it on you before wandering through the brush/woods.

https://www.amazon.com/Nantucket-Spi...73a21d9627564f
    Will give that a try, thanks! (I live near a trail head, and hike in brush country frequently.)

OldChap likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

excerpting from GNIUS's post...

- Remove any tick you find immediately using the tick removal tool, without squeezing it.
    - Do not burn it or treat it with any chemicals

Great advice, this!
    It turns out that if a tick is harboring the Borrelia spirochete, it is injected into the victim at the end of the feeding time (when it disconnects). Squeezing the tick turns it into a bacteria hypodermic. The tick removal tools pull the little creeps out by the head, leaving the body alone.

Armed And Harmless
    ----

Living in the country makes living with ticks a constant battle. Possums will eat more ticks than you can imagine - so I leave them alone - I wear two large flea and tick dog collars around my boots, and dust with seven every time I go into the brush. So far, so good.
    Sister and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    My disabled son who lives in southern Missouri was scouting around looking for places to hunt dear and turkey. The weather was hot this fall and he got into a lot of ticks. He started showing flu like symptoms and they diagnosed him as having alpha-gal a disease caused by bites from the lone star tick. His wife eventually got it too. They must stay away from any products that are derived from mammals. Red meat and dairy and a ton of other things that they are finding out contain allergens. Now they are saying that chiggers carry alpha-gal too.
    It had been a long time since my son had felt well enough to do something like scout around for hunting areas and I was having a lot of fun kidding him about "eating his way through the woods." "There won't be any animals that will be safe."
    Some doctors say that alpha-gal will go away in a few years if you don't get bit by another tick but the allergist that they saw told them that it is permanent because she has treated people who have had it for over ten years.
    Tell your Son to hold on to some hope. I have an Aunt that had alpha-gal for about 4 years and it went away and she's back to eating red meat again. I have two other friends that have had it for 5+ years and it's not getting any better yet. My wife and I both got bit by a Lone Star tick and neither one of us had any symptoms. It affects everyone differently.
    msgt/ret, Old Man and GpTom like this.

@DZUS , we mark the yellow jacket nest with some surveyor tape or flag thrown generally in their direction from a “safe” distance away so we’re sure we can find it in the dark. We come back a few hours after sunset and hose the nest liberally with wasp jet foaming spray. We’re brand indifferent, I think the couple of cans we have now are Black Flag®. We’ve retreated one nest because when we checked it midday the next day they were still swarming a bit. After second tx, no more yellow jackets.

We are conservative in use of chemicals on our land. We initially used an herbicide from local farm supply on poison ivy along our fence lines. After getting it pretty much under control we dig it out, root and all, when we see it anywhere near our paths or the fence line.

We reserve the wasp jet spray for confirmed active ground nests of yellow jackets. Seems like one every year or so we have to nuke. The neighbors, pretty much to the man, all say they use gasoline on those nests. Many years ago I mixed oil and gas and poured a pint into the nest before lighting it. While lighting the match 4 or 5 of the suckers lighted on my hand, stung me, and swelled my R arm significantly. Never happens using the jet spray from 10-15 feet away. Bite me once, shame on you, et cetera.
    Last edited by SAXDM9; October 29th, 2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Broke long paragraph in two for readability

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    @DZUS , we mark the yellow jacket nest with some surveyor tape or flag thrown generally in their direction from a “safe” distance away so we’re sure we can find it in the dark. We come back a few hours after sunset and hose the nest liberally with wasp jet foaming spray. We’re brand indifferent, I think the couple of cans we have now are Black Flag®. We’ve retreated one nest because when we checked it midday the next day they were still swarming a bit. After second tx, no more yellow jackets.

We are conservative in use of chemicals on our land. We initially used an herbicide from local farm supply on poison ivy along our fence lines. After getting it pretty much under control we dig it out, root and all, when we see it anywhere near our paths or the fence line.

We reserve the wasp jet spray for confirmed active ground nests of yellow jackets. Seems like one every year or so we have to nuke. The neighbors, pretty much to the man, all say they use gasoline on those nests. Many years ago I mixed oil and gas and poured a pint into the nest before lighting it. While lighting the match 4 or 5 of the suckers lighted on my hand, stung me, and swelled my R arm significantly. Never happens using the jet spray from 10-15 feet away. Bite me once, shame on you, et cetera.
    Thanks, SAX, for the excellent info!

SAXDM9 likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I can tell you a good bit about lymes. Mainly, do as is suggested in this thread and don't contract it.

My daughter had the bullseye and we were able to treat her quickly. She had the flu for a week or two and has been fine ever since.

Myself was a different story. It put me in the hospital. the guess is that I had it 2-3 years before it was detected...It re occurred 3 times. The 3rd treatment of anti-biotics seemed to do the trick. To say it has changed my life is an understatement. Memory and cognitive issues. I was a serious math wiz, always did tax at our shop in my head (for 2 decades). Now? There is no chance I can do it without a calculator at hand, bells palsy, extreme nerve pain for a while...All behind me now (thank God), but I can tell you it is nothing to mess with.

Also, as you may have heard it is easy to miss. My test results came back with 2 false negatives. Finally when I was in the hospital, the 3rd test came back positive. Feel free to ask, I am an open book about the experience.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

VIP Member
    While rare, my wife and I have picked up ticks in Jan and Feb when conditions are right. It seems that they’re more attracted to me as years go by, I don’t know if metabolic changes can attract them or not. Our deer herd is always pretty strong and the buggers are nocturnal wanderers to wherever they wish to go. Four legged Johnny Tick Seeds, spreading them with joy and abundance.

Be careful out there.
    Old Man likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    Many years ago I mixed oil and gas and poured a pint into the nest before lighting it. While lighting the match 4 or 5 of the suckers lighted on my hand, stung me, and swelled my R arm significantly. Never happens using the jet spray from 10-15 feet away. Bite me once, shame on you, et cetera.
    My dad would just fill a Coke bottle with gasoline and "quickly" shove the neck into the entrance. Never had to light it. Those inside died, the survivors outside abandoned the nest.
    SAXDM9 and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My dad would just fill a Coke bottle with gasoline and "quickly" shove the neck into the entrance. Never had to light it. Those inside died, the survivors outside abandoned the nest.
    They usually have two ways in and out. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    They usually have two ways in and out. Be careful.
    Apparently gas fumes know that too.
    montejames likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links