Awareness is a Fallacy - Page 15

Awareness is a Fallacy

This is a discussion on Awareness is a Fallacy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Establishing patterns of behavior such as scanning is useful, because those intentional actions become habit after awhile....

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
Like Tree591Likes

Thread: Awareness is a Fallacy

Establishing patterns of behavior such as scanning is useful, because those intentional actions become habit after awhile.
    Bikenut, AzQkr and Mike1956 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Lol! While reading that I had to go back and check the author's name, because it sounded just like an old war college classmate. It's gotten so bad hearing "OODA" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to some.

The acronym is overused, but when in context it's useful. Mike's reference to it here appropriately places SA into the bigger picture of defensive response decisions.

The challenge with OODA in this context of SA is the Observe portion is often thought to be active conscious observation. No one, and I do mean no one, can consciously observe all things simultaneously...thus this thread. But the subconscious mind continually watches for key indicators that serve as trip wires to refocus a person's conscious thoughts, and through time and repetition the subconscious mind becomes part of maintaining SA.
    There it is, IMO. Subconsciously aware which requires training the peripheral vision, until something gets triggered that brings that scene or object into direct focus and consciously aware of that alone. As long as one doesn't fixate to the exclusion of all else in the peripheral. As a perfect example, I knew there was a passenger in that car when the driver and I got into on the side of the road through peripheral, but once it was game on, my peripheral didn't catch him getting out of the car and moving behind me [ that resulted in my having my jaw broken from behind ].

Subconscious triggers that bring attention/focus to that trigger source takes practice. Triggers for me on the streets could be anything really. It took many years of watching people to develop my own skills, learn by doing and also by making mistakes and learning from them. Triggers could also be explained as being along the lines of potential or actual pre-assault indicators.

Posts 202, 204, 205 and 209, 210 and 211 bring enlightenment in various ways on this subject. All good stuff indeed guys.

Post 207, relative ooda, is also spot on in the Observe in any discussion of SA. Once we observe something [ movement, oddities, even stationary semi-hidden people ], whether it be through peripheral initially or we just directly pick up on something that catches out attention ] we can move to the orient phase to either avoid altogether or in some cases, move to a better position of advantage if the SHTF [ be better prepared for a potential attack/assault/or even just an approach like a panhandler moving to intercept us ].

Some time when you have nothing to do and just want to increase your observational skills, stand on a sidewalk and watch people. How they move, who might be oblivious, who might be looking around showing some SA, try to find people watching other people just milling around, how they react to people walking by them etc. People watching, even in crowds, is a great source of developing subconscious peripheral triggers that bring your focus to them.
    Mike1956 and graydude like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

There are all sort of observers but if a person wants to be a good observer (in regards to thwarting attack) they need to be trained in detecting several specific types of incongruity and those things associated with bad deeds in general. In learning how to detect specific types of incongruity, they also learn the basic parameters, ranges and variables of trained observation. There is seeing, observing, looking, informational static, meaningful observation and inconsequential observation. Observing is one thing but understanding what those observations mean and how they can potentially impact a persons personal safety is something else. The last thing anyone wants is for people to practice the wrong way. Proper discernment comes with proper training and experience. Although I believe that people can be self taught to some degree, it often takes a heck of a lot longer and you generally make more substantial errors along the way.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    There are all sort of observers but if a person wants to be a good observer (in regards to thwarting attack) they need to be trained in detecting several specific types of incongruity and those things associated with bad deeds in general. In learning how to detect specific types of incongruity, they also learn the basic parameters, ranges and variables of trained observation. There is seeing, observing, looking, informational static, meaningful observation and inconsequential observation. Observing is one thing but understanding what those observations mean and how they can potentially impact a persons personal safety is something else. The last thing anyone wants is for people to practice the wrong way. Proper discernment comes with proper training and experience. Although I believe that people can be self taught to some degree, it often takes a heck of a lot longer and you generally make more substantial errors along the way.
    They are called pre assault indicators, discussed here often in various threads including it's own thread.

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ndicators.html

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...behaviors.html

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-behavior-131/
    Mike1956 and OD* like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    They are called pre assault indicators, discussed here often in various threads including it's own thread.
    We simply called them "cues" but pre-assault indicators(cues) or whatever someone wants to call them- are but one attribute.. its a variable, not a range, method or parameter. What I am saying is that developing observation skills is a broad endeavor and that people need to be trained. A person can sit around all day long and work basic math problems ( 2+2=4 , 6-2+4=8 and 5+5=10) but its probably not going make them a mathematician. A mathematician uses extensive knowledge of mathematics to solve problems and that extensive knowledge is generally not derived from repeating or carrying out basic computations. If you apply the spirit of that assertion to the subject we are discussing, I think you get my meaning.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

If the horizon is infinity it's actually quite reasonable to set your feng shui on zero to infinity. In an urban setting a horizon is rarely more than a few hundred yards and usually much closer. On foot a horizon could be right up on you - inside a building there are walls to take the place of a horizon.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Sponsored Links