Mall Stabbing Attack - How Aware are YOU when in public crowded areas - Page 2

Mall Stabbing Attack - How Aware are YOU when in public crowded areas

This is a discussion on Mall Stabbing Attack - How Aware are YOU when in public crowded areas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doogie Condition yellow isn't so bad once you get used to it. You're right.. You do get used to it.. I walk ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Mall Stabbing Attack - How Aware are YOU when in public crowded areas

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Condition yellow isn't so bad once you get used to it.
    You're right.. You do get used to it.. I walk around in a store like Wally World and try to pick out the ones that WOULD survive if a mass shooting or something like that was to happen... I feel pretty alone in that crowded store sometimes...But I'd rather go down fighting then be one of the sheep that goes without a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Can you share your data on that with everyone please-
    I think I did read somewhere that overall violent crimes like murder & rape has declined since 1991. But, most of what I've been seeing lately seems to point to the likelihood of becoming a victim of the crimes like HIR, assault, robbery, etc has increased in the last few years.

-
    The FBI's data has shown a steady decline since shortly after WWII. There have been a few upticks, but most are regional.
    If you remove the data from the usual areas of gang violence [ LA , DC, Chicago, etc..] the rest of this country is extremely safe! If you are not in an at risk profession, or in a high risk area your chances of being involved in a violent crime are very small. Its only the reporting of it that has changed. DR
    rcsoftexas and Pijo73 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    You're right.. You do get used to it.. I walk around in a store like Wally World and try to pick out the ones that WOULD survive if a mass shooting or something like that was to happen... I feel pretty alone in that crowded store sometimes...But I'd rather go down fighting then be one of the sheep that goes without a clue.
    Loneliness is born of fear and loathing of the self, and I'm as susceptible as anyone. I often view a stroll through the grocery store or walmart as if we're all just Borg doing our duties around the cube.

Condition yellow does not mean you can't smile and connect with the others. It means quite the opposite, actually. It means that you are willing to convey that you are not a threat and to see that most often, neither is the other. The only way we can tell who is actually a threat is to attempt a connection, within reasonable social self defense distances, anyway.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit99 View Post
    Just can't say it enough times.... this is why we carry,, why we choose not to be sheep in a world filled with wolves. We just never know when evil will come. It's sad but unfortunately that is the world we now live in.
    I'm betting this mall is posed for no carry. Anyone know?
    Check you background
    Stay Frosty
    NRA Lifetime member - They are our only political voice.

Dusty, I'm kind of a big deal

Funny, signs don't have the force of law here. Also, the 2 malls I go to regularly have no signs posted on the entrances, but, they are "gun-free zones", according to fine print on their websites. So, as there is no real way to know their status, why should I fail to carry there?
    Chief1297 likes this.
    Certified Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Loneliness is born of fear and loathing of the self, and I'm as susceptible as anyone. I often view a stroll through the grocery store or walmart as if we're all just Borg doing our duties around the cube.

Condition yellow does not mean you can't smile and connect with the others. It means quite the opposite, actually. It means that you are willing to convey that you are not a threat and to see that most often, neither is the other. The only way we can tell who is actually a threat is to attempt a connection, within reasonable social self defense distances, anyway.
    When I first started working in the jail, one of the old guards pulled me aside to tell me this...
    He said in this job you are going to meet people that you know from work out in the public. how you handle that first meeting will set the stage for how they will treat you. he said when he sees people that he knows from the jail he always greets them first, tells them how nice it is to see them, and how he hopes their lives are going well.
    That gave him command of the meeting, put them on notice that he knows them, and all without being hard or putting them in a bad light. It worked well for him.
    The first time I was a little nervous, I ran into a serious dirt bag at the mall with my boys in tow, But it caught him by surprise too. Later my boys wanted to know how I knew the tattooed gang banger and I had to explain it to them. So Yea, sometimes that connection is what makes things go smoother. Depending on what I had done things could have gone completely the other way! DR
    Doghandler and G26Raven like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I haven't set foot in a mall in over 20 years and cannot think of anything that would have enough shopping attraction to
    draw me in.
    Living in America under condition yellow? Yes. Sadly this is the world we live in. Mall or no mall.
    But having the need to go to a mall? For me it's Zero. If I want it I have it shipped straight to me.
    GpTom likes this.

Apparently the mall it happened at DOES have signs posted on some entrances, but not all of them. I do not know if signs have force of law in Minnesota though.

I look for those that are checking out people, their faces, actions, etc..... but even more importantly... usually the first thing I look at is people's hands .

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Maybe the sign should have been NO WEAPONS- but they probably sell knives and ball bats at the mall so that would interfere with business. Anybody seen one of those signs with the gun, knife and ball bat symbol on it?

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    They remodeled the range and the new rules say that guns must be in cases. I was carrying a plastic case for my carbine to the front of a store to pay for it when I noticed that I was getting odd looks from people. I started smiling as I walked towards the check-out and then people looked so much less scared of me. Funny how I never gave it a thought that anybody could think I was carrying a long gun in that case.

I live 2 hours north of the mall in mention, and I have yet to go anywhere around here that is posted. I suspect that tomorrow morning when I go into the hospital for lab tests, that I will probably see my first.

Carry at home?? Damn straight. In the 20 years we have lived out here in the country, we have had some strange **** show up on the front porch. I called the sheriffs office about one young man on my porch, they knew him by name, and four cruisers showed up really quick.
    MB53 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyRivers View Post
    I'm betting this mall is posed for no carry. Anyone know?
    there is a sign, but it't not a legal posting for two reasons (landlords may not restrict carry and the sign does NOT meet the legal standard)

It was a local somali that went off the rails; I live about a mile from the mall and have been following this pretty close. if anyone has questions I can try to answer them
    Luke 22:36

10-1 no gun zone ..And for where this happen no surpised lot of the old religon o peace there ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

In Minnesota no gun signs do not carry the force of law.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links