Can situational awareness be taken too far? - Page 3

Can situational awareness be taken too far?

This is a discussion on Can situational awareness be taken too far? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jmf552 Mike, as we've discussed, about a year ago I took up motorcycle riding. What you describe about driving is multiplied on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Can situational awareness be taken too far?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Mike, as we've discussed, about a year ago I took up motorcycle riding. What you describe about driving is multiplied on a bike. Riders have to look closer at road conditions and other drivers. The gal who taught my rider's course said, "Ride like you are invisible, because most of the time, you are." I know riding a bike has improved my car driving and perhaps my all-around SA.
    Tractor-trailer driving was what drove it home hard for me. These principles were ingrained at truck-driving school, and with very little adaptation, carry into navigating our way through wherever we may find ourselves: Smith System - Five Principles of Safe Driving | Platinum Drivers Inc.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

The driving analogy is very apt as many, if not most, people can relate to it and motorcycle riding is a good extension of that analogy. I had a similar experience upon taking flight training. I found that my driving improved because I was more aware of what others were doing and was planning much further ahead.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Seems like there is a difference between an intentionally developed and augmented but yet still natural style of living that allows you to be aware of your surroundings and prepared to take action vs. a hyper vigilance to the point of paranoia.

Can situational awareness be taken too far?-img_0016.jpg
    Mike1956, maxwell97 and OldChap like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I live my life and it doesnt revolve around carrying a gun. I dont all the time, it depends on my activities.

I do however, try to practice prudent self-defensive behavior and SA. I think about it alot, almost automatically, esp if I'm sitting in traffic, at an airport, standing around waiting anywhere. I look for exits, I watch people, I look for cover, I see people interact with each other or see situations build and think about what I'd do if it went sideways.

I try to remember to keep distance between me and stopped cars, to watch when walking and not look at my phone (luckily I'm not a big cell fan), etc etc etc. It doesnt overwhelm me...it's just part of my life and is mostly an exercise to keep me occupied. I find it interesting.

Unless I'm rocking out to a good song on the radio....

I think that I've always naturally been very observant and always pay more attention when something doesn't seem right...

But when it comes to actively sizing everyone up, constantly looking for things to duck behind, and opting to walk through the canned goods aisle because offers more protection than the bread aisle...I believe that is going a little too far lol

Even most LEO's (unless they're on a call or traffic stop) don't usually appear to be any more alert/aware that anyone else

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    SA is great to have, but it's of little value, many times, if you aren't familiar with recognizng pre assault indicators.
    Thank you for mentioning this. Hadn't even heard the term "pre assault indicators" before. The research begins...
    AzQkr likes this.

Situational awareness means knowing what's going on. I don't see any downside to knowing what's going on, unless it interferes with an activity that requires undivided attention, such as lovemaking.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    SA is great to have, but it's of little value, many times, if you aren't familiar with recognizng pre assault indicators.
    Bingo!.... the trick to realistic situational awareness is to know what your looking at when you see it.

I agree with AzQkr and Brownie on this topic. One thing I have not heard (seen? read?) is a Quality of Life factor. If this activity takes away completely the enjoyment of life (the very thing we're protecting), then our behavior should be modified. I am quite earnest in that there is nothing to be gained by hovering in fear, eyeballing ones surroundings awaiting an activity that may or may not happen.

I'm not sure if it is balance or just a state of mind. You have to live life free and fun. You have to have confidence that when fans are struck you will be able to survive and continue to live and be free. Twisting fearfully in the wind is no life and gun or not, will alleviate that fear. Keep your wits about you when you need to, go nuts when you can, and enjoy the ride for as long as you can.

For example, this Sunday morning the missus and I are getting ready to go to our friends oldest child's wedding. This is going to be a celebration of bringing new life into this world. (lets ignore we're in Connecticut lol) Am I worrying about SA and the folks around, No, not worried. I am aware but not concerned. Nor I am seriously worried about the diabetic coma potential because there is going to be food that can not and should not be missed. I am in more danger of that the being assaulted today. I can handle that crap.

But the food.... wish me well and if I stop posting here, know I am in a very happy place. Because this woman makes a disk of baked beans that will, gladly, kill me. ;)
    AzQkr and Libertywheel like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frgood View Post
    I agree with AzQkr and Brownie on this topic. One thing I have not heard (seen? read?) is a Quality of Life factor. If this activity takes away completely the enjoyment of life (the very thing we're protecting), then our behavior should be modified. I am quite earnest in that there is nothing to be gained by hovering in fear, eyeballing ones surroundings awaiting an activity that may or may not happen.

I'm not sure if it is balance or just a state of mind. You have to live life free and fun. You have to have confidence that when fans are struck you will be able to survive and continue to live and be free. Twisting fearfully in the wind is no life and gun or not, will alleviate that fear. Keep your wits about you when you need to, go nuts when you can, and enjoy the ride for as long as you can.

For example, this Sunday morning the missus and I are getting ready to go to our friends oldest child's wedding. This is going to be a celebration of bringing new life into this world. (lets ignore we're in Connecticut lol) Am I worrying about SA and the folks around, No, not worried. I am aware but not concerned. Nor I am seriously worried about the diabetic coma potential because there is going to be food that can not and should not be missed. I am in more danger of that the being assaulted today. I can handle that crap.

But the food.... wish me well and if I stop posting here, know I am in a very happy place. Because this woman makes a disk of baked beans that will, gladly, kill me. ;)
    Again, that is a description of hyper-vigilance, not SA.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    with some hyper-tasty treats.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    And I think for some it is easy to slip from SA into hyper-vigilance which can self defeat the very life, liberty and pursuit of happiness that is our God given rights.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

This discussion wouldn't be complete without a quote from one of my favorite philosophers:

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Gen. Mattis
    Not much I can add, everything worth saying has been said. SA and paranoia are two different things. Someone once said, "Situational awareness is reasoned attentiveness. Paranoia is unreasonable fear." I was also told that SA can be taken to overload. Modern fighter aircraft sensor systems can easily overload the pilot's ability to function efficiently. A great deal of engineering goes into what and how much data a pilot can absorb and still be effective. Evidently, there is a fine line involved.

How many people, knowing that an out-of-control vehicle could impact your car, sit at stoplights watching the rear-view mirror? You might do it occasionally, but will you be watching when it matters?

I tend to watch if I'm sitting in the outside lane of a two-turn pattern for cars coming at speed, knowing that it would be easy and catastrophic to be clipped by an inattentive passing driver. Because of this I tend to go to the inner turn lane. There's still some risk, but I think it's less.

You read of people who think they are being SA aware sitting -inside- their car. But that's foolish. If you -really- needed to be SA you'd step out of the car where you can really view their surroundings.

FWIW

I think most humans have a pretty decent SA skill set inherently built in. If we didn't, we wouldn't have made it this far as a species. I think the main problem in modern times is people allowing themselves to be distracted by shiny objects and/or not trusting their instincts. Don't get me wrong, there are people out there who seem to be oblivious to everything going on around them. But I've talked with so many people after an incident who would tell me something like, "Well, they seemed a little off but I didn't want to seem prejudiced" or "Yeah, he seemed strangely nervous for some reason but I figured maybe he had anxiety" etc, etc, etc. Basically it boils down to, "My spidey senses were tingling but I didn't trust/believe/choose to act on them.

Criminals, good ones anyway, know a lot about SA and spidey senses. They trust them, they use them to find prey, watch situations, find easy marks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links