What would you do? Man with a rifle

This is a discussion on What would you do? Man with a rifle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ripped from today's headlines, as they say. What would you do? I am going to list most of the salient facts. Then I'm going to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What would you do? Man with a rifle

Ripped from today's headlines, as they say.

What would you do? I am going to list most of the salient facts. Then I'm going to take a break for a while. When I come back I will update this post with the reported outcome...You know, sort of like a real scenario where we don't learn all the facts until after the smoke has long cleared.

It was about 4:45 a.m. at an intersection where about a dozen people were preparing to board a bus for the start of a marathon, police said.

A man appeared to be holding a rifle while circling the people in his black GMC truck, police said. He stopped, got out of the truck and pointed the rifle directly at the victims while making threats,
    OK, that's it. That's what you've got to work with, as you stand there at 4:45 AM waiting for that bus. At this very instant the gunman is standing outside his truck screaming threats while aiming his rifle at all of you. What do you do?

I'll be back in about an hour to post the rest of this real life story "ripped from the headlines".

Draw my firearm behind the cover of others and take the threat out. If this is in a restricted state, then the victims are sitting ducks...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

Gotta agree, this is a case where you don't wait, you take them out right then and there if you can.
    OlCop, Chicagobill and paulinsf like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Shoot, and do it accurately until he is permanently down.
    paulinsf and Chicagobill like this.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

sgb
    Move to cover where if possible I can take a solid rest and shoot the perp in the head ......... replica rifle or not.
    paulinsf and Chicagobill like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Here's the entire news report

A Rancho Cucamonga man was arrested Saturday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon after he threatened people preparing to run a marathon in Azusa with a rifle that turned out to be a replica, police said.
    The incident occurred about 4:45 a.m. around Citrus and Alosta avenues, where about a dozen people were preparing to board a bus for the start of the Revel Canyon City Marathon, Azusa police said.
    The man appeared to be holding a rifle while circling the people in his black GMC truck, police said. He stopped, got out of the truck and pointed the rifle directly at the victims while making threats, then got back in and left.
    Since several local police departments were assisting with marathon traffic, officers were quickly able to develop information that led police to Joseph Fierro, 51, in Rancho Cucamonga, police said.
    He was detained at a residence and his vehicle was searched, police said. Officers found several replica firearms, pellets, magazines and other items.
    Fierro was booked at Azusa police headquarters and was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail, police said. He has a court appearance set for Tuesday, according to sheriff's inmate records.
    Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at (626) 812-3200.

City News Service
    The doofus with the rifle is lucky to be alive, in my estimation. I suspect that the only reason that he is still breathing is because California. I've said it before. "If he wants me to believe that he has a real gun, I will."

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulinsf View Post
    The doofus with the rifle is lucky to be alive, in my estimation. I suspect that the only reason that he is still breathing is because California. I've said it before. "If he wants me to believe that he has a real gun, I will."
    Finally found someone better off because of CA’s gun laws - an idiot brandishing a fake gun at a bunch of people. Had he been in a more reasonable state he’d have likely been disposed of and the taxpayers would be better off because they’d not be paying for a trial, prison time, etc. A crematorium doesn’t charge that much.
    Chicagobill and paulinsf like this.

Senior Member Array Chicagobill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlCop View Post
    Shoot, and do it accurately until he is permanently down.
    Yes! Drop him like a hot potato
    paulinsf and OlCop like this.

If anyone had shot that guy, Id be fine with it. However, reading and re reading the blurb in the OPs post, Drawing a pistol to engage the guy isnt my first thoughts.

(It was about 4:45 a.m. at an intersection where about a dozen people were preparing to board a bus for the start of a marathon, police said.

A man appeared to be holding a rifle while circling the people in his black GMC truck, police said. He stopped, got out of the truck and pointed the rifle directly at the victims while making threats,)

The blurb supplied to us doesnt say how far away the BG was. It absolutely does NOT say that he stopped close by. Further considering that the BG was armed with a rifle, we can assume that if he was at least slightly distant that he would have the range advantage. Also almost certainly would have an accuracy advantage if at the edge of pistol range, or further.

One thing I have noticed is that crowds are dumb. There are smart people in most crowds, but when they get together, they get dumb, and act dumb.

I tend to think the best course in that situation is to get away while the rest of the crowd stands there. If one couldnt get away, well then you dont have much choice but to engage, but I think slipping away, calling for help, getting in a better position to engage the BG would be the best choice, given the facts supplied.

VIP Member

What would you do? I am going to list most of the salient facts. Then I'm going to take a break for a while. When I come back I will update this post with the reported outcome...You know, sort of like a real scenario where we don't learn all the facts until after the smoke has long cleared.

OK, that's it. That's what you've got to work with, as you stand there at 4:45 AM waiting for that bus. At this very instant the gunman is standing outside his truck screaming threats while aiming his rifle at all of you. What do you do?

I'll be back in about an hour to post the rest of this real life story "ripped from the headlines".
    For me this is why I personally stopped carrying a striker fired pistol after carrying a Glock 19 since 2004. The ability to hit targets at distances beyond 7-15 yards is becoming pretty important. I switched to a Traditional Double Action (TDA) pistol what people commonly reffer to as DA/SA . A TDA gun firing in the single action mode has a much better trigger than any striker fired trigger.
    paulinsf likes this.

VIP Member

I would evacuate mine and me asap, since it happened in can't carry Cali:

Man with a replica rifle arrested after threatening people preparing for Azusa marathon - LA Times
    Nmuskier, paulinsf and Havok like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Take cover(get low).. and get the heck out of there. I guess If I cant do any of that and I'm forced to fight him in a crowded venue (only having a pistol), I would likely get as low and close as possible so that I may direct shots at an upward angle.
    paulinsf likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I don't think people should be so quick to say that they would shoot immediately based on the OP. Let's forget for a second that the rifle turned out to be not all that dangerous, because that is hindsight.

What I often do when thinking about this kind of thing is to mentally "turn the tables." Let's say you were asked to help simulate this scenario with simunition, laser tagging, paintballs or some non-lethal rounds. You get to choose your weapon, consistent with the non-lethal ammo, including full auto. Your mission as the simulated bad guy is to take out as many innocents as possible, which would be the worst case. Let's also say you live in an area that allows people to carry, because if you didn't defenders wouldn't be armed to fire back.

What chance do you think someone in the crowd would have against you as the "BG" with a handgun if you started firing right away? As the "BG" would you not be expecting possible armed resistance? Would you not turn your superior firepower immediately on anyone with a handgun? Would you not prevail with your superior firepower? Why do we assume the BG is incompetent just because he is evil?

I would not make that mistake as a simulated BG. I would take out anyone who even looked like they might be threat to my evil intent. If a defender went for a gun, I would put rounds on him immediately and I would have him outgunned.

Switching back to the defender role, I am not going to fight on the BG's terms. There is an inner-city saying, "If you see a gun, you run!" People who live in high crime areas, even armed people, do this instinctively. People in the "burbs" tend to stand there and get shot. I think people who quickly evade will more likely survive at higher rates than those standing in one place, even if they are standing there to shoot back.

I would sprint, despite my bad knees, perpendicular to the line of fire, using my mobility advantage against the one disadvantage of a longer weapon, the diminished ability to hit moving targets. I would run and dive behind true cover: The corner of a building, a fire hydrant, even a curb. I would have not only kept myself from getting shot, I would have also diverted the BG from shooting at anyone else while he is tracking me. Depending on the cover, I would then prepare to return careful, supported aimed fire. If the BG were firing at me, I would take full advantage of the cover so he couldn't hit me. If he turned toward other targets, I would be shooting at him and hopefully get him with carefully aimed shots.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Some critical information was missing. How far away is this guy? What is the available cover and concealment? If he's 200 meters away and I can step behind a building or a vehicle, I'll most likely stay put until the cavalry arrives. If he's 15 meters away and we're sitting ducks, then I'd likely return fire.
    paulinsf, dangerranger and OlCop like this.

JMF552 has it right...move, find cover, engage if necessary, or move and engage, BUT move....bring enough gun....
    paulinsf and Goldy49 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links