Another School Shooting This Morning - Page 3

Another School Shooting This Morning

This is a discussion on Another School Shooting This Morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I was a redhead kid. I think I know. Did I win them all? Nope. Did we always become close friends? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Another School Shooting This Morning

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was a redhead kid. I think I know.

Did I win them all? Nope. Did we always become close friends? Hardly but occasionally. I spent enough time in the principal's office for them to know why I was there and what happened.

Yet friends afterwards or not, I never had to deal with the same person twice. That happened because when I finally got fed up with their crap, the gloves came off, and it wasn't in a gentlemanly way or with any "Let's meet after school." It was right now, right here, gloves off. Right in the middle of class if that's what it took.
    Yeah OV, me too. A boy named Sue I was. Many times I took my pound of flesh by chewing it off an ankle while I was getting thumped but buddy, I would have that pound of flesh no matter the cost. You find out that bleeding ain't that big a deal.
    OldVet, ghost tracker and airslot like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was a redhead kid. I think I know.

Did I win them all? Nope. Did we always become close friends? Hardly but occasionally. I spent enough time in the principal's office for them to know why I was there and what happened.

Yet friends afterwards or not, I never had to deal with the same person twice. That happened because when I finally got fed up with their crap, the gloves came off, and it wasn't in a gentlemanly way or with any "Let's meet after school." It was right now, right here, gloves off. Right in the middle of class if that's what it took.
    I was a redheaded kid too. I'm glad you had a good experience. You didn't have my experience. You didn't have the experience a lot of people had. You had a pretty good experience it seems. My point is there's school yard scraping and there's real bullying. There's a difference and those who haven't been there, don't know.

I was bullied horribly as a kid. But I never thought of doing anything more than flattening the bully's nose. Today's kids are bullied 24/7/365 with social media. It is like the world stage where they are made fun of in front of all of their peers and excluded...this is continuous. Bottom line: some kids just crack up and go postal. If they have access to firearms....it's gasoline on the fire. Then add in the mamby pamby liberal school administrations who teach everyone to run/hide/tell.....versus fight back and you have the ultimate recipe for disaster. Then to make things totally ridiculous.....they blame guns when Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram are all more dangerous and are the medium where this violence is born.

By the time the kid picks up a gun.....he is already a homicidal maniac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    In junior high school, I transferred to a new school. Being the "new" kid and rather small, at the time, I was the target for a bunch that thought they could run roughshod over the school.

The biggest of them kicked me in the shins repeatedly while we were having lunch one day. Each time, I just looked at him over my glasses and never said a word. When I finished my lunch, I got up from the table and broke the fiberglass tray over his head. Put him under the table unconscious and walked away, still having not said a word. I never had another problem with any of them after that.

The assistant principle was standing across the room watching the entire incident. When I walked past him, he just smiled at me. Nothing needed to be said.

Sometimes, you just need to show people were the "red line" is and what to expect when they cross it.

In today's environment of participation trophies and hurt feelings, young people just don't know what a proportional response is.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I Put him under the table unconscious and walked away, still having not said a word. I never had another problem with any of them after that.

The assistant principle was standing across the room watching the entire incident.
    Unfortunately today isn't yesterday. Today in some schools you'd be taken away in handcuffs and charged with assault.

Back in our day standing up to a bully was how it was done, and it didn't always matter if you won that fight or not; just the fact that you were seen standing your ground was enough of a message.

Today, standing your ground can get a kid expelled, and the teachers' hands are tied as well.

Zero tolerance for fighting or making toy pistols out of pop tarts? How about zero tolerance for cyber bullying?

... and when it comes to this kind of thing, the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality has got to go too.
    airslot, msgt/ret and msb45 like this.
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    We homeschool. Not because of this kind of crap but because schools are day care centers whose values inculcation leaves much to be desired. We are among the few in our area that homeschool for non-religious reasons as well. Our kids are thriving but man, it's work.
    airslot, msgt/ret and CaptSmith like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I'd like to add to this. Since bullying is "systematic terror" there needs to be a "systematic response" from those being terrorized to those doing the terrorizing. If not; it will never stop! You teach people how to treat you. And, if you are one that will easily roll over and "allow" yourself to be disrespected or mistreated then that stuff will never stop. It gives those doing the terrorizing the license to continue the behavior because there is no push back. Push back means confrontation! And that is something that a lot of people today and in this generation are afraid of and shy away from in this social media age-personal confrontation!

Sure, the teachers should care and be concerned but the reality is that you are still responsible for sticking up for and defending yourself. While I don't go out and seek confrontation as such, I don't run from confrontation either! I learned from my Dad years ago and I have taught my son and daughter the same principle; "Don't start a fight! Don't go out looking for trouble! If, you can talk your way out of a fight-then do it! But, if you can't; you better make sure that's the last time that person(s) want to fight with you!"

Like @OldVet , I didn't win all of my fights when I had to defend myself but it sent a loud and clear message to all of those standing around and watching; "Mess with Mili and that cat (unafraid of your age, height, or weight) will defend himself!"

Absolutely!

That's the push back I mentioned earlier. If, that doesn't happen, then you'll always be a target and always be a victim.
    So it's the victim's fault? The victim's fault for fighting back, even winning occasionally and still being systematically bullied. No support from teachers or administrators?

Nothing personal, but in this case you guys don't know what you're talking about.

All due respect, you weren't bullied.

11 school shootings by the 23rd of January...I'd wager that's more, in less than month, than anywhere, including all the active war zones we support, on the rest of the planet, all year...Its not about guns or gun control, but more, I think, about how corrupt and meaningless public schools have become in the modern/global age...many families are re-shouldering the responsibility for educating their own off-spring, local government not-withstanding, support local families home schooling, and pray for the families who are trapped in broken school districts...

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I was the one bullied. I was once kicked in the groin. Punishment? None. Once a bully threw hot coffee at me. I jumped across the table and he had me under him, but couldn't let me go. We were BOTH suspended. This was WAAAAY back before zero tolerance was all the rage. There were many more incidences, but when I resisted, they didn't come back after me.

Maybe a bit off topic, but a few years ago a guy put out a book after looking back to see what happened to the bullies in his own childhood. Some were dead, violent deaths involving their own criminal activity. Most of the rest were in jail or had a criminal record. The bullying grew to criminal activity because it wasn't stopped in the schools. He did some research into other people's bullying experiences and the same thing happened. As long as the school administrators keep ignoring the bullying issue, crime will be rampant. Whether by guns or cars or knives, sooner or later the victim will say enough is enough and this is what we get.

Bullying isn't the only issue in these cases, not outright bullying by the typical bully, but just an outside, mocked by the general population. Some end up being pushed over the line and turn violent. Looking back on the shooters, it seems that many of them fall into this category, the kid with no real friends who's picked on by the general school body.
    Militant likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I was bullied and beat up regularly when I was in school from seemingly everyone. My payback is when I learned to fight back with my fists and beat the living daylights out of those that were attacking me. I had just had enough. The attacks stopped and I left part of my life behind me.

That was 40 years ago. I just don't understand, I don't understand, how we went from teens fighting back with fists to fighting back with pistols and rifles. As much as I was theatened, and stalked for a few brief middle school years, the thought of shooting a human being because of just was never even considered. Why do seemingly so many today consider it an option? I am so blindsided by this that my mind can't even begin to think of an answer.

Whatever the answer is, it must be part of something larger in society today from say the 60's and 70's. There were bad people then as always to be sure. But kids shooting innocent kids... why God why.
    Militant likes this.

Teen-aged minds aren't fully formed yet; those years are an ordeal in normal circumstances let alone if they're being picked on (for whatever reason) and in the 24/7 social media world that they live in today there's no escape from the bullies. Retaliation is punished and the bullies are defended by parents in denial who have hamstrung the schools ability to enforce discipline. Conflict resolution is no longer taught in schools because it entails teaching about character, judgement and responsibility.

Some of these kids crack. Some of these persecuted teenagers are smarter than their parents think so when desperation kicks in they foil the half-***** security (if any) on the parents' firearms or otherwise manage to get armed.
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

Being the "Fat Kid" in Elementary up to High school, I was constantly bullied. Had to deal with the verbal and physical abuse almost every day. To me, I had to either learn to ignore it, or fight back. The one day, I decided to take the bull by the horns and punch the lead bully in his mouth. It ended, with him losing a couple teeth, while a teacher watched the whole thing from a distance. He took the guy, by his shirt collar, and told him "YOU are going to the Office" where his served detention. As for me, the Teacher said "pick up your stuff, and get to class" all the while giving my his thumbs up. The encounter got around, and I a LOT MORE respect from my peers.
    I had guns in my Home, but NEVER ever would think of bringing that to school. Kids today, have much different views on Life. So sad to think they can solve the problem in that way.
    Prayers for ALL involved
    airslot and Militant like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    why God why.
    A short answer. Increased use of anti-anxiety drugs, social media, erosion of traditional American values, no faith in God.

Particularly troublesome is the social media dependence and the resulting depression, anxiety, and loneliness is creates in the lives of teens.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ration/534198/

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtimm View Post
    So it's the victim's fault? The victim's fault for fighting back, even winning occasionally and still being systematically bullied. No support from teachers or administrators?

Nothing personal, but in this case you guys don't know what you're talking about.

All due respect, you weren't bullied.
    So, you have the market cornered on what bullying is and isn't? All due respect, you don't! And nothing personal, but since you seem to think that you do, due to your constant use of the term, "systematic" in the context of bullying; I'd like to know what that means to you? Systematic-bullying....
    airslot likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    I was bullied and beat up regularly when I was in school from seemingly everyone. My payback is when I learned to fight back with my fists and beat the living daylights out of those that were attacking me. I had just had enough. The attacks stopped and I left part of my life behind me.

That was 40 years ago. I just don't understand, I don't understand, how we went from teens fighting back with fists to fighting back with pistols and rifles. As much as I was theatened, and stalked for a few brief middle school years, the thought of shooting a human being because of just was never even considered. Why do seemingly so many today consider it an option? I am so blindsided by this that my mind can't even begin to think of an answer.

Whatever the answer is, it must be part of something larger in society today from say the 60's and 70's. There were bad people then as always to be sure. But kids shooting innocent kids... why God why.
    Why the escalation from fists to firearms? Simple, Zero Tolerance. When the victim is treated as a criminal, they have no place else to turn but to firearms to fight back against a corrupt and lazy system. The ones who are supposed to protect them instead punishes them for being a victim. They don't fight back, the bullying continues. They fight back and now the bullies and the administration attack them. Just my take on it.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links