Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? - Page 3

Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is a discussion on Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DG These days I'm less concerned about a home invasion than a SWAT team with the wrong address. That is a great ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    These days I'm less concerned about a home invasion than a SWAT team with the wrong address.
    That is a great point. This happens more than reported. For every mistake in a SWAT team making an entry into the wrong address there are so many that go unreported as to not make law enforcement look so bad.
    Phaedrus and AnthonyC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    That is a great point. This happens more than reported. For every mistake in a SWAT team making an entry into the wrong address there are so many that go unreported as to not make law enforcement look so bad.
    How in hell would you know?
    Rdiorio25 likes this.
    A Man's house is his castle

These days I'm less concerned about a home invasion than a SWAT team with the wrong address.
    Then your an idiot. Of the 3.7 million burglaries a year in America 266,560 of those became violent crimes against the home owner. About 7% of all burglary's end up as violent home invasions. 1 million over all are just home invasions, which is "entering a dwelling and committing or with intent to commit a crime (as assault) while armed and while another is lawfully present". Only a total idiot would think a "SWAT team" is a bigger threat.
    A Man's house is his castle

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Attachment 245057

Only people who come to my door are trick-or-treaters and JWs. Everyone else is either too smart or too afraid. Even the mailman tosses packages onto my porch and runs for his truck.
    I think I saw you in a movie: "Secondhand Lions."
    graydude and Macantic like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

flh
    Looks like I'm the odd one out, while at home I'm not walking around with a gun on. I keep guns around our home in various locations .....
    OldVet, Bigpoppa48, craze and 3 others like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Kind of a sad sign of the times that we have to worry about such things. I don't think we seen the worst of it yet. This use to be something only those who lived in bad, high crime, drug infested neighborhoods had to worry about. Now I'm seeing stories and these concerns popping up all over social media as well as gun forums whereas they really didn't exist a few years back.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Kind of a sad sign of the times that we have to worry about such things. I don't think we seen the worst of it yet. This use to be something only those who lived in bad, high crime, drug infested neighborhoods had to worry about. Now I'm seeing stories and these concerns popping up all over social media as well as gun forums whereas they really didn't exist a few years back.
    I don't really worry about it. I'm just aware of the possibility. No knock warrants and the proliferation of illegal drugs produces an increase in that type of activity. Mistakes are bound to happen occasionally. Sometimes, it's the fault of the police...but many times they are acting on bad information. An informant gives a wrong address. Some punk decides to play games like the little creep in California.

I keep a scanner app on my cell phone. The neighbor's dog alerts me to any movement in the neighborhood. I don't automatically open the door with gun in hand.
    Simplistic solutions to complex problems seldom produce satisfying results.

I don't really worry about it. I'm just aware of the possibility. No knock warrants and the proliferation of illegal drugs produces an increase in that type of activity. Mistakes are bound to happen occasionally. Sometimes, it's the fault of the police...but many times they are acting on bad information. An informant gives a wrong address. Some punk decides to play games like the little creep in California.

I keep a scanner app on my cell phone. The neighbor's dog alerts me to any movement in the neighborhood. I don't automatically open the door with gun in hand.
    Heard cases where they simply will shoot the dog before busting in. I tried that scanner app too, but it only keeps record of low level stuff.

DG
    It's not my dog. He's fenced across the street. But he barks anytime someone approaches my house and he barks loudly. Multiple vehicles would really get him wound up.
    TeflonDon likes this.

I carry a pocket pistol around the house at all times. I feel naked without a 642 or a Glock 43 in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I think I saw you in a movie: "Secondhand Lions."
    Now you've exposed me to the world.

One of my favorite movies.
    PhaedrusIV and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by PO54yo View Post
    Then your an idiot.
    That would be "you're" an idiot, but it's not nice either way.
    DG, Tstone, Rdiorio25 and 14 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by PO54yo View Post
    Then your an idiot. Of the 3.7 million burglaries a year in America 266,560 of those became violent crimes against the home owner. About 7% of all burglary's end up as violent home invasions. 1 million over all are just home invasions, which is "entering a dwelling and committing or with intent to commit a crime (as assault) while armed and while another is lawfully present". Only a total idiot would think a "SWAT team" is a bigger threat.
    I never said that I thought a SWAT team was a bigger threat. I said it was a greater concern to me. Have you got a book of statistics on things that concern me? SWAT teams aren't something that I lay awake worrying about. I'm just aware that on rare occasions, they do happen.

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House - ABC News

SWAT team targets wrong person's home in case of mistaken identity - Story | WTTG

It's not a common thing. It's just something to be aware of before you start shooting at somebody coming through your door.

How can you tell the difference between a SWAT raid and a home invasion? | Active Response Training
    Bigpoppa48 and Rdiorio25 like this.

My home is my decompression chamber from the worries of everyday life, so I do not carry in the house, although I might if outside working.
    There are more farm tractors going up and down the road nearest my house than cars, and my house sits a long way from the road, so I’m not going to dwell to much on this stuff.

But , there is a rifle or handgun stashed in just about every part of the house I may be in at any given time.
    graydude, OldVet, smolck and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

99% of the time I am not carrying a gun in the house. But 100% of the time, one is within a few steps.
    Bigpoppa48 likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links