Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? - Page 5

Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is a discussion on Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Texas Red Here's what I don't get. Seems like way too many home invasion stories start off with a statement of how ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Here's what I don't get.

Seems like way too many home invasion stories start off with a statement of how the invaders surprised the occupants.

Do lots of folks just leave their doors unlocked? Do they open their doors to whoever rings the doorbell?

What's wrong with these people?
    Having kicked a few doors, If you kick the right place most fly open first kick. DR

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    When I wake up, I put my gun on and I don't take it off until I go to bed around 11pm-midnight. It goes into a quick access bedside safe (have little ones in the home). I didn't use to carry while at home, but then I realized most home invasions happen... at home.
    Sounds just like what I do. Put it on in the morning and it stays on until bed time. Except mine stays on the bedside table not in the safe. It is just the wife and I in the home.

Joe
    blitzburgh, Tstone and Rdiorio25 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I wonder how many of these home's had no dogs ? I feel that a dog/dogs are the best deterrent ...When my family was young I had to work a lot of overtime, I also had Rottweilers , I was never worried about my wife a daughters safty while I was away ...

Get a dog great deterrent , great friend/company...
    I agree. We just got a golden retriever puppy two weeks ago. She's an excellent fit for our family and it's good to have a dog back in the home for the reasons mentioned above.

flh, DG, paulinsf and 12 others like this.
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Yep. We've owned and trained GSD's for many years. Admiral makes an awful fuss if anything is out of place. He never takes days off and he is militant in his protection of "his" domain. Granted, it is slightly annoying when I am awoken to his snarling and barking at 2am only to find my neighbor's cat in my driveway, but You can't sneak up on us. So I'm willing to overlook it.
    My friend, a retired cop who was the local k-9 officer for several years sheepishly tells the story of the young punk who came by in the middle of the night and using a wrench and a pair of wire cutters unmounted and stole the light bar off the top of his police car parked in his driveway while he and his highly trained police K-9 were both soundly sleeping less than 20 feet away on the other side of the window. My friend eventually got the light bar back and arrested the kid, but that's another funny story.

Just a note on the "wrong address" conversation. I too have Google send me a daily email with every home invasion news story contained therein. After reading those every day, I can say that one thing that happens fairly often is a home invasion in which the robbers get the address wrong. They either hit a home from which a drug dealer has recently moved, or just as often have made a mistake in either the house numbers or the street name.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I agree. We just got a golden retriever puppy two weeks ago. She's an excellent fit for our family and it's good to have a dog back in the home for the reasons mentioned above.

What a beauty!
    paulinsf, Doogie and Struckat like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Yes, except while in the shower, but as I told a north of our border anti gunner, who in a snooty tone ask did I carry that "thing" all the time, I respond, "been tempted to use one gallon zip locks!"
    Rdiorio25 likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Guns are scary. I lost mine ice fishing last week.
    Did you manage to at least catch some ice?
    Rdiorio25, Chief1297 and Aceoky like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    This is from a 13 Feb news article:
    "I woke up to come open the door because I thought it was my brother getting off work, and then they just kicked in the door by the time I could get there and just started shooting," Ethan Rorex said. " reference

And 16 Feb new article:
    OKLAHOMA CITY — One person is dead and three others are seriously hurt after a violent home invasion in southwest Oklahoma City. <snip> Shortly after midnight, two suspects reportedly busted into a home near S.W. 15th and Pennsylvania and began shooting at the people inside the home....<snip> "It is unusual to see this many gunshot victims in one crime scene who were all struck by gunfire from one suspect,” said Officer Megan Morgan from the Oklahoma City Police Department. Reference

And Feb 14 news article:
    CHARLESTON, S.C. - Authorities said they have found a 4-year-old girl who went missing Tuesday during a home invasion in Charleston, South Carolina. Police said she was found safe in Riverside, Alabama. <snip> Heidi Renae Todd was reported missing just before 6 p.m. Tuesday. The Charleston Police Department said her mother was rushed to an area hospital after the school attended by two of her children called the police reporting they did not show up and their mother did not call them in sick. <snip> Apparently, she was brutally beaten and she's in reasonably fair condition under the circumstance and I understand will be undergoing some surgery. She is considered medical to be in fair condition,” Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg told reporters Wednesday afternoon. reference

My comments: Home invasions have always been with us, but it just seems that the level of violence and intentional harm is ratcheting up. I don't have any statistical proof of this, but overall in our society people who do these heinous acts seem to be valuing human life at zero. Correction, less than zero. Like shooting and harming another human is on the same level as shooting a rat in the barnyard.

Should we consider house-carrying? Or perhaps more disciplined gun staging? Or something else?

All ideas appreciated.
    When at home, in the rare case I'm not carrying my G26 or variant, I carry a dual holster- a noisy rat terrier on one side and a Belgian Malinois on the other. If the Mal doesn't hear the intruder and remove his/her jugular first, she responds to the clatter from the viscious rattie.

But I'm almost always carrying.
    Rdiorio25 and The Old Anglo like this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Having kicked a few doors, If you kick the right place most fly open first kick. DR
    That's why each entrance at my place has one of these:

They're kick proof.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Did you manage to at least catch some ice?
    Old Man likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I agree, home invasions have stepped up in ferocity in recent years. Set up a Google news alert for “home invasion” and a regular feed of these will get emailed (https://www.bloggingbasics101.com/ho...s-a-good-idea/).

I’ve carried around the house for years due to credible death threats from criminal military members I’ve sent to prison. A handgun or two is always on me, and there are staged long guns. Also have online security cameras; we can see the front door, driveway, back door, etc., from our phones before going to answer the door or check on a noise.
    Not by choice, but what a way to live from day to day. Your spider sense is in the red zone 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by 9uc View Post
    Yes, except while in the shower, but as I told a north of our border anti gunner, who in a snooty tone ask did I carry that "thing" all the time, I respond, "been tempted to use one gallon zip locks!"
    A nice stainless snubby in a Ziploc is a great shower buddy :D

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar

James Bond Gang.....finally caught in NJ.
    graydude and Aceoky like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun1 View Post
    Not by choice, but what a way to live from day to day. Your spider sense is in the red zone 24/7.
    You get used to it, and with enough security layers for increased reaction time I can easily get back to condition white at home. There are many others coping with similar threats too. The transition zone entering or leaving home, or working in an open garage or in the yard, is where my spidey sense is always ramped up. Out in public or nested inside the “fortress” I’m mostly normal.

But if someone I don’t know rings our doorbell, my hands aren’t visible if I open the door and I’m ready to act if needed.
    Sixgun1 and Aceoky like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Shield 9mm AIWB, as I type.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links