Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? - Page 6

Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is a discussion on Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to back when our neighborhood was overrun with methheads. Now more on condition yellow. Don't really depend 100% on a gun in the ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

Senior Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    I used to back when our neighborhood was overrun with methheads. Now more on condition yellow. Don't really depend 100% on a gun in the house for protection. Doors are always locked, windows all have blinds on them and let me know when someone is climbing through and gives me plenty of warning. Every room has some sort of defensive weapon so an intruder may end up with a hatchet buried in his skull, an aluminum arrow buried in his eye socket, perhaps a ice climbing ax buried in his lung, hey, I wonder if you could hook it and pull it out between his ribs, might have to that.
    In any case, any home invader is going to meet up with pure rage. I despise them and think they are the most dangerous scumbags out there these days.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

I feel like the best way to prevent such occurrences is to have a hardened perimeter. Solid doors, solid hinges, long screws, exterior cameras to make sure no one is hiding outside when you're leaving. 3M security film on downstairs glass should also help. I am not sure I WANT to carry everywhere in the house. But I figure if I harden my perimeter ENOUGH that I would have at least 20-30 seconds warning time, I can grab the kids, march upstairs, and the home invaders can feel free to choose to ascend via the free fire zone... I mean staircase.

I have a housegun readily available but I do not carry on my person while at home. I live rural.. have ornamental iron on most windows, security film on the ones that don't.. solid wood doors and hardwood jambs, back door jamb is metal, deep throw deadbolts, 3' door devil (anti kick) lock plates, cameras, monitored alarm, large dogs, fences and a very unpleasant and nosey wife. It will take an unusually robust and determined invader to make it inside my home before I can casually walk to a nearby drawer to retrieve the housegun.

If you do not feel comfortable walking around your home while unarmed, you may want to identify what you consider to be a weak point in your security and simply bolster it. Keep doing that until you have a system that allows you to feel secure in your own home. It may take weeks, months or years but just get started and you will get there sooner than you think. Heck, I have been taking baby steps for 15 years and still want to upgrade my external lighting situation. I'll get there
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WMac19 View Post
    99% of the time I am not carrying a gun in the house. But 100% of the time, one is within a few steps.
    Same here

Carrying at home? I call it "being home".
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I have a housegun readily available but I do not carry on my person while at home. I live rural.. have ornamental iron on most windows, security film on the ones that don't.. solid wood doors and hardwood jambs, back door jamb is metal, deep throw deadbolts, 3' door devil (anti kick) lock plates, cameras, monitored alarm, large dogs, fences and a very unpleasant and nosey wife. It will take an unusually robust and determined invader to make it inside my home before I can casually walk to a nearby drawer to retrieve the housegun.

If you do not feel comfortable walking around your home while unarmed, you may want to identify what you consider to be a weak point in your security and simply bolster it. Keep doing that until you have a system that allows you to feel secure in your own home. It may take weeks, months or years but just get started and you will get there sooner than you think. Heck, I have been taking baby steps for 15 years and still want to upgrade my external lighting situation. I'll get there
    I wholeheartedly agree with all these recommendations, and anyone who can should pursue these and more.

Reality for some people, though, is they're limited in what they can accomplish. For example, due to my job I move every 1-2 years, and I rent. I do all I can to find as secure a home as I can for my family, but considerations such as school districts, commute time, need to find a home in under 30 days, etc., reduce our ability to find a fortress. Renting also limits what can be done physically to permanently change a residence. Others have similar obstacles. I'll retire in a few years, and then begin the permanent fortifications, but until then we need to make do with what we can to increase our security layers and warning time.
    Fizban, Rdiorio25, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Yes.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I always carry at home. At night is at bedside. In shower itís on the counter by me with door locked.
    forester58 likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

I often spend my evenings in sweat pants or light weight shorts for summer and an LCP is always in the pocket even though I have my days carry gun accessible I don't grab it to let the dog in or out or visit the head or step into the garage for something. With my small house I would not have more than a few seconds if someone breached my door or full length window in the breakfast nook. It easier for me to have a small gun on my person than to have a bunch of guns stashed throughout the house that I would have to move when the Grand kids visit.
    Aceoky likes this.

New Member Array Knowtheancient's Avatar
    I'm late to the game on this one, but yes, if my regular carry isn't on my person, I have a duty-sized gun within arms length....always. We only occasionally have a grandkid or two toddling about. When they're here, I carry on my person. Too many reasons to be armed. No reasons not to be.
    Rdiorio25 and Aceoky like this.

I like your thinking. One has to think "Layers of defense", which starts with the doors and windows and hopefully a good dog. I remember a bad one when two gangsters broke in on a couple rehabbing a building they had just bought. They had both victims lay on the ground and were forcing the female to disrobe. Both were armed and I'm 100% sure they were going to murder both after they raped her. Anyway a neighbor heard the disturbance and called 911. We had a car one block away and we caught both with the guns. This was about 1300 hrs.

Another crew was going in heavy even on weekends. They would kick the rear door in and rob them even when they knew they were home. I hunted that bunch all summer but never caught them. I hope someone else did. I could go on but you get the point, they will come in even when your home in the middle of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    That's why each entrance at my place has one of these:

They're kick proof.
    A Man's house is his castle

Quote Originally Posted by PO54yo View Post
    I like your thinking. One has to think "Layers of defense", which starts with the doors and windows and hopefully a good dog. I remember a bad one when two gangsters broke in on a couple rehabbing a building they had just bought. They had both victims lay on the ground and were forcing the female to disrobe. Both were armed and I'm 100% sure they were going to murder both after they raped her. Anyway a neighbor heard the disturbance and called 911. We had a car one block away and we caught both with the guns. This was about 1300 hrs.

Another crew was going in heavy even on weekends. They would kick the rear door in and rob them even when they knew they were home. I hunted that bunch all summer but never caught them. I hope someone else did. I could go on but you get the point, they will come in even when your home in the middle of the day.
    We have all entrances and accessible windows armored. Also a fence around the back and side yards with locked gates. My place is far from a fortress, but it would be enough of a challenge to keep home invaders looking for an easier mark.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

This happened a couple months ago about 2 miles from my house and about 100 yards from my mother-in-laws. You can see his house from her porch. Turns out the dead guy was the homeowners nieces boyfriend but it took a day or two for them to realize it.

Burglar shot and killed by 85-year-old resident in Ellport
    Texas Red likes this.

New Member Array soonershoote01's Avatar
    Yes always, if not its in a kydex holster next to me.
    NRA Lifetime
    Gun Owners of America
    National Shooting Sports Foundation
    Oklahoma 2A Organization

I think it's important to conceal carry at home. If it can be done easily, comfortably and discretely. The most important reason to do this, I feel, is to make it a habit so in the unlikely event of something bad happening, you don't have to remember to find and arm yourself.

I live in a single family single story dwelling in a low crime area. During the day I will check the mail, do yard work, walk the dogs, run to the nearby store etc. I might be in and out of the house 10 times easily. The threat level goes up when going outside. So the first reason I carry at home is so I will never be faced with a sinking feeling in my stomach "Oh... No! I forgot to bring my self defense weapon!"

Although the threat is less if I am in my home owing to the extra seconds it could take an attacker - and bonus points because my wife finally buys into don't open the door for strangers - I still carry inside. If its nighttime and I am kicked back watching TV I do place my weapon on a table within a few feet reach. This goes back to habit. Other than that I keep my Ruger LC9S slipped in my pants pocket in a Sticky Holster. As such it becomes a part of my attire and I don't have to give it much thought - and I will know where it is and never have to worry about forgetting it.

And that's the key point. I don't carry it at home because I am paranoid. I carry it because I want to be prepared for the unexpected. And I am able to do that because I have a smaller weapon that effortlessly stays with me no matter if sitting, standing or kneeling.

Just my 2 cents.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links