Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? - Page 9

Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is a discussion on Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MJK I carry 24/7/365 in my home. Itís a habit of mine. I do too, except in bed or the shower. I ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I carry 24/7/365 in my home. Itís a habit of mine.
    I do too, except in bed or the shower. I also find by doing so I don't notice it as much when carrying away from home. It just becomes part of my routine.

I frequently see stories where people who are "only" going to the mailbox, out to the car, convenience store, around the block, or some other innocuous place for a few minutes find they wished they had or needed a gun but it wasn't in reach. I don't want that to be me.
    Snub44, Bikenut, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Sponsor
    No, don't carry in the house. The security doors aren't going to get a quick kick and allow entry. By the time someone could get through the security door, then kick the locks out on the main doors, I'm standing there smiling greeting them with something that was close at hand. Hell, I'd have enough time to go grab a rifle for that matter.
    Fizban, duane_wade and ButtShot14 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Carry always. Just last night my wife tried to punch me in the appendix and got a fist full of glock 17. Oh sweet karma

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Actually I have been lately since I seldom leave my property. Been wondering if I need to carry my permit while I'm out on my 42 Acres in PA.

Looks like I need to update my profile too.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Why carry at home the PO PO are just a quick phone call away. I bet Nancy doesn't carry at home. MS14??
    Check you background
    Stay Frosty
    NRA Lifetime member - They are our only political voice.

Dusty, I'm kind of a big deal

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyRivers View Post
    Why carry at home the PO PO are just a quick phone call away. I bet Nancy doesn't carry at home. MS14??
    Yeah, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    Henry9008 likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Four homicides in three home-invasion shootings by the same shooter a couple weeks ago: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/crime...rs/2704803002/

None of the four people shot were expecting a 19 year old man to walk into their house and shoot them, but he did. Based on the details reported so far, it doesn't seem that any of them would have had time to go and get a gun stashed nearby like in a closet or under the bed. You can research the four homes and check them out on Google Street View or Zillow. They were mostly nice upper-middle-class suburban type homes in "good" neighborhoods. There was no sign of forced entry in any of the cases.

Take-aways: 1. The gun on you is the only one you can count on. 2. Perimeter security is helpful but for a lot of people it's impractical to always keep it tight, so you really need help with situational awareness. My early-warning system is a vigilant dog. Not infallible, but what are you counting on when you're asleep or in the shower?

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    I can't really see where home invasions are reaching new levels of violence, not since the Tate, Labianca murders. My info on home invasions before than is minimal. Anyway, that was 50 years ago. I often do carry at home. If I get dressed, I am armed.

Believing that home invasions are getting worse is more a matter of selective sampling and selective memory than of reality.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Quote / colab: "Take-aways: 1. The gun on you is the only one you can count on. 2. Perimeter security is helpful but for a lot of people it's impractical to always keep it tight, so you really need help with situational awareness. My early-warning system is a vigilant dog. Not infallible, but what are you counting on when you're asleep or in the shower"?

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^
    All I want is Whiskey twice my age......served by a woman half my age.

I have decided to always carry even in bed these days, and I am in a small safe town with almost no crime.. Bought 2 very small very unobtrusive pistols, and will never have an excuse not to have one with me, even if its only a .22 while planting our garden on a beautiful spring day up here in the hills in the clean country air with my grandkids. Looks safe and idyllic, until maybe maybe one day it won't be.
    In the modern age, with deranged psychos everywhere, a chance is something no one should take.. I wish our world was not the way its is.. We are each responsible for our own safety and for the safety of those we love... bob

Reading the title of this thread, my thought is this, if someone invades your home, things may surely reach a new level of violence, if you know what I mean
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    I can't really see where home invasions are reaching new levels of violence, not since the Tate, Labianca murders. My info on home invasions before than is minimal. Anyway, that was 50 years ago. I often do carry at home. If I get dressed, I am armed.

Believing that home invasions are getting worse is more a matter of selective sampling and selective memory than of reality.
    I have seen statistics from the FBI, Bureau of Justice Statistics and the NCVS that show "violent home burglaries" are indeed increasing. The stats above are from mid the to late 2000's, but I can't help but think that the violence is still worse even today. Your example from 1969, shows just how much more common these things are today. The Tate, Labianca murders were so out of the norm for the day that it was a Worldwide sensation, with books and movies to follow. Today, even bigger crime scenes are in the news almost daily and some of the stories get hidden under a mountain of more important stories.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

Vital stat embedded in the above link...
    "Between 2005 and 2007, however, there is some indication of an
    increase in the percentage of violent burglaries from 5.7% to
    7.7%.".

The latest (2017) stats that I've seen show that around 270,000 home invasions involve violence in the US each year now. This number cannot be the same or less than the violent home invasion numbers from the 1960's... Back then, my parents, aunts, uncles and grand parents never even locked the doors of their homes. I do remember people becoming a lot more wary of burglaries and home invasions after the Manson murders.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Interesting..."some indication"....given statements that preceded which actually showed declines.

Violence during household burglaries remained stable from 2000
    to 2007

In contrast, the rate of
    household burglary when someone was home remained stable
    between 2000 (8.5 per 1,000 households) and 2007 (8.3 per 1,000
    households. The percentage of these burglaries that included
    violence remained stable between 2000 (6.3%) and 2005 (5.7%)
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Good article on this topic by Mas Ayoob in the current (May/June) issue of Combat Handguns magazine.

A gun is useless sitting in the safe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    xXxHeavy and duane_wade like this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links