Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is a discussion on Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is from a 13 Feb news article: "I woke up to come open the door because I thought it was my brother getting off ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Home Invasions Reaching New Levels of Violence - Do You Carry In-Home?

This is from a 13 Feb news article:
    "I woke up to come open the door because I thought it was my brother getting off work, and then they just kicked in the door by the time I could get there and just started shooting," Ethan Rorex said. " reference

And 16 Feb new article:
    OKLAHOMA CITY — One person is dead and three others are seriously hurt after a violent home invasion in southwest Oklahoma City. <snip> Shortly after midnight, two suspects reportedly busted into a home near S.W. 15th and Pennsylvania and began shooting at the people inside the home....<snip> "It is unusual to see this many gunshot victims in one crime scene who were all struck by gunfire from one suspect,” said Officer Megan Morgan from the Oklahoma City Police Department. Reference

And Feb 14 news article:
    CHARLESTON, S.C. - Authorities said they have found a 4-year-old girl who went missing Tuesday during a home invasion in Charleston, South Carolina. Police said she was found safe in Riverside, Alabama. <snip> Heidi Renae Todd was reported missing just before 6 p.m. Tuesday. The Charleston Police Department said her mother was rushed to an area hospital after the school attended by two of her children called the police reporting they did not show up and their mother did not call them in sick. <snip> Apparently, she was brutally beaten and she's in reasonably fair condition under the circumstance and I understand will be undergoing some surgery. She is considered medical to be in fair condition,” Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg told reporters Wednesday afternoon. reference

My comments: Home invasions have always been with us, but it just seems that the level of violence and intentional harm is ratcheting up. I don't have any statistical proof of this, but overall in our society people who do these heinous acts seem to be valuing human life at zero. Correction, less than zero. Like shooting and harming another human is on the same level as shooting a rat in the barnyard.

Should we consider house-carrying? Or perhaps more disciplined gun staging? Or something else?

All ideas appreciated.
    cal44, dangerranger, CG11 and 5 others like this.

I generally carry my EDC around the house just as a muscle memory/comfort thing when I'm not at home. It wouldn't hurt to have a G43 or pocket gun at all times. I like my PPS M2.
    cal44, Rdiorio25 and sparkyfender like this.

My G19 is on my hip as long as I am dressed in street clothes. If I switch to a pair of sweats to relax in the evening, it's within reach if I am watching a movie or reading.
    cal44, Bad Bob, scottync and 7 others like this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If I'm awake, I carry a gun on me. I typically wear my G19 from earlier in the day until I change into pajama pants or gym shorts in the evening.

When I change, my G43 in a Remora is tucked into my waist line with my G19 not too far away.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Sit in your den or kitchen and have a family member or friend come in the front door unexpectedly....now magnify that speed and see how much time you have to retrieve a weapon.....key word here is Unexpectedly.......carry.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

I have been carrying at home and everywhere for many years,it's always in my pocket except for when I'm in bed,and then it's within reach on the night stand.
    bigdogtx, bigpapa, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

The thing to remember is that, when you need a gun to defend yourself, you needed it yesterday. It amazes me people with these visions of making it to their gun safe to fetch their weapon in a time of need. Things happen way too fast.
    Macantic, OD*, Rdiorio25 and 13 others like this.

Guns are scary. I lost mine ice fishing last week.
    OD*, Mike1956, Havok and 22 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I find them scary, too, which is why I keep the single handgun I do own disassembled and locked in a safe.
    Tstone, OldChap, Bad Bob and 14 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I agree, home invasions have stepped up in ferocity in recent years. Set up a Google news alert for “home invasion” and a regular feed of these will get emailed (https://www.bloggingbasics101.com/ho...s-a-good-idea/).

I’ve carried around the house for years due to credible death threats from criminal military members I’ve sent to prison. A handgun or two is always on me, and there are staged long guns. Also have online security cameras; we can see the front door, driveway, back door, etc., from our phones before going to answer the door or check on a noise.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Name:  Bob.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  16.3 KB

Only people who come to my door are trick-or-treaters and JWs. Everyone else is either too smart or too afraid. Even the mailman tosses packages onto my porch and runs for his truck.
    Havok, OldChap, Bad Bob and 18 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I carry at home because of the belief in the old saying: A gun won't do much good if it isn't there when you need it.

About 10 minutes from my home, we had four, yes, four home invasions where the group was armed with AK's and other firearms. All in the span of about a week IIRC, and all in the same area.

They got $10,000 in cash from the first home they hit which leads me to believe it was BG on BG. On the three other homes, they reportedly got next to nothing (unless they were looking for drugs and of course, those wouldn't be reported as lost to authorities).

When I wake up, I put my gun on and I don't take it off until I go to bed around 11pm-midnight. It goes into a quick access bedside safe (have little ones in the home). I didn't use to carry while at home, but then I realized most home invasions happen... at home.
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

If I am dressed I am carrying. Any other time at least shotgun and a handgun within reach. Others available.

Home invasion must have a different meaning to me. They are violent by nature. If someone breaks in its just a breakin!

When we first got waves of asian immigrants here, their own Gang members knew that they did not trust banks and were easy pickins to steal what they had while they were away. It did not take the business owners long to invest in safes. So when the asian gang members would break in, They couldn't get much.
    That ended when one gang decided that the way to defeat the safe was to get the parents to open it. They would burst in , round up the whole family, and torture and rape them till someone opened the safe.

And home invasion was born. It didn't take long before others realised that if they swoop in so quickly that even if there was a gun in the house they couldn't get it into action that quickly! The idea isn't to kill everyone but to get the homeowners to give up their valuables.

So if you don't have that gun on you or right next to you how much good is it going to do? DR

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links