Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings - Page 2

Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings

This is a discussion on Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rock and Glock The tragic thread on the Billings carjacking got me thinking about our vulnerability while in our cars. I wanted ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The tragic thread on the Billings carjacking got me thinking about our vulnerability while in our cars. I wanted to start this thread so we can compare notes, techniques, and strategies when we're about to drive, driving, or exiting our cars. I know this imparts a certain level of SA, but this becoming more common apparently (perhaps). I'll start with a simple framework of ideas and then we can fill in any blanks:

SA on the approach - watch for lingering, stalling or overly helpful folks as your approach your car;

Keys in hand;

Enter car;

Lock door;

Start car;

Pull out of parking place; and

Buckle set belt as you begin entering traffic flow

This process minimizes your time while unprotected while parked, and leaves some important steps to later when you can weaponize the car if needed.

I generally back into my parking spaces, or pull through so I depart in forward or drive. This lets me focus on backing when I have the time upon arrival, and allows quick exit if needed. :gah:

Obviously, keeping your sidearm handy is nice, but in non-permissive states or locations the above steps add in layers of safety. What have I missed, or what is better?
    One day I parked the truck, and my wife said something about my parking, and I told her I was setting up for exfil. She laughed, but deep down she knows it makes sense.

I also park at the very back of parking lots. More than anything its because I dont like other cars parked next to me, but having less cars around me also means less people that I can expect to be walking in the direction of my vehicle.
    We get the government we deserve.

SA is really the key. Also, where you park to begin with.

I heard that the flame-thrower thingey from south africa has 3 settings "French Fried" "Crispy" and "Burnt"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like IT!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    Park away from other cars, under a light or near cameras if it is dark. Look under the car, around the car and in the back seat before getting in.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    I heard that the flame-thrower thingey from south africa has 3 settings "French Fried" "Crispy" and "Burnt"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like IT!!
    RETSUPT99 and Rock and Glock like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The tragic thread on the Billings carjacking got me thinking about our vulnerability while in our cars. I wanted to start this thread so we can compare notes, techniques, and strategies when we're about to drive, driving, or exiting our cars. I know this imparts a certain level of SA, but this becoming more common apparently (perhaps). I'll start with a simple framework of ideas and then we can fill in any blanks:

SA on the approach - watch for lingering, stalling or overly helpful folks as your approach your car;

Keys in hand;

Enter car;

Lock door;

Start car;

Pull out of parking place; and

Buckle set belt as you begin entering traffic flow

This process minimizes your time while unprotected while parked, and leaves some important steps to later when you can weaponize the car if needed.

I generally back into my parking spaces, or pull through so I depart in forward or drive. This lets me focus on backing when I have the time upon arrival, and allows quick exit if needed.

Obviously, keeping your sidearm handy is nice, but in non-permissive states or locations the above steps add in layers of safety. What have I missed, or what is better?
    OK I'm in

1) situational awareness (you can get car jacked anywhere and there is in guarente what the jacker will look like)

2) Never stop when flagged down, always drive past and make them come to you, take that time to prepare for a bad situation.

3) When you stop in traffic, always stop where you can see the car in front of you rear tires on the ground. This will give you manuver room to make a run for it.

4) I find a plan on something called a general order. " Always be especially watchful at night and during the time of the challanging (bad area) and let no one approach without ... well just dont let anyone get up on you.

5) believe that it can happen to you...

It also helps to have an occasional talk with your spouse, or any other regular passenger, or driver you are with, as to being non-confrontational along with the other
    safety tips in the OP.

Let everybody who you are in a car with know your head space on these things. Have them be diligent and eyes and ears getting the whole picture around you.
    U.S. Marine Corps 1964 - 1968

U.S. Army 1969 - 1973

USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I like this idea;

Quote Originally Posted by kuux View Post
    It also helps to have an occasional talk with your spouse, or any other regular passenger, or driver you are with, as to being non-confrontational along with the other
    safety tips in the OP.

Let everybody who you are in a car with know your head space on these things. Have them be diligent and eyes and ears getting the whole picture around you.

My wife and I both carry. When we go to the gym, my wife doesn't carry and I have only the Sig P938 9mm in my pocket. I always tell my wife not to flip off any motorcycle gangs since I only have the small 9mm.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I also struggle with what to do in my car. I wear IWB at 3:00, but my seat belt would definitely slow my draw. AIWB would solve this problem (I think). I took my GI Silent Thunder and put it in the appendix position, but my "extra padding" pushed the butt of the gun out way to far. Is that what I can expect from AIWB (with my extra padding)? Or is this a method of carry that is best left suited for folks that are in shape? The other option is to purchase some other "car holster" that would allow me better access to my gun while seated in my car.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Thinking of Chaplain Scott’s thread, Ive noticed an uptick in the number of local panhandlers. Probably stating the obvious, but I avoid them and give charitably to other sources. Most are probably harmless but I still keep my windows up. Encountering them while walking to your vehicle is a different matter.
    I would venture that the majority of homeless folks have fairly serious mental health issues. The days of the innocent hitchhiker seem to be long past. I consider most homeless folks to be a potential danger unless proven otherwise.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I would venture that the majority of homeless folks have fairly serious mental health issues. The days of the innocent hitchhiker seem to be long past. I consider most homeless folks to be a potential danger unless proven otherwise.
    It seems we are having a mental illness epidemic.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    We had a local homeless guy who used to hang on the local campus begging. He was kinda big and intimidating so he got the campus police called on him all the time. One day a few years ago he had a heart attack and died during an encounter with police. It was revealed that for at least 15 years he had been dealing with some serious mental issues. We have no mental facilities for dealing with these folks so it seems they are just kind of on their own. It's really sad.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I also struggle with what to do in my car. I wear IWB at 3:00, but my seat belt would definitely slow my draw. AIWB would solve this problem (I think). I took my GI Silent Thunder and put it in the appendix position, but my "extra padding" pushed the butt of the gun out way to far. Is that what I can expect from AIWB (with my extra padding)? Or is this a method of carry that is best left suited for folks that are in shape? The other option is to purchase some other "car holster" that would allow me better access to my gun while seated in my car.
    I’d probably look at a car holster - on the console, below the steering wheel, etc.
    msgt/ret, OD*, RETSUPT99 and 2 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    There was a time when these folks were kept out of sight and out of mind. How many "insane asylums" or mental hospitals do you know of today. Probably not many.

A very memorable moment of my high school time was a field trip to a mental hospital in Morganton, NC. It was eye opening if nothing else. Those sights, sounds, and smells will never leave my head. I have no doubt many of those same folks now walk our streets, waiting to be triggered.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links