Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings - Page 3

Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings

This is a discussion on Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet There was a time when these folks were kept out of sight and out of mind. How many "insane asylums" or ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,743
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There was a time when these folks were kept out of sight and out of mind. How many "insane asylums" or mental hospitals do you know of today. Probably not many.
    State mental health facilities have been the bulwark of the mental health provider system. In 1950, there were 322 state facilities. In 2014, that was down to 188, a decline of about 42%. But even more significant is that the number of inpatients in 1950 was almost a half million. In 2014, that was down to about 40,000, decline of around 92%. The reasons range from loss of state funding, changes in insurance coverage and a trend in the field toward outpatient treatment in general. I don't think anyone fantasizes that it is because people are now saner or doctors are curing more mental health patients.

    I think that decline is directly related to the mass shooting trend (to the extent that it is a trend...a topic for another thread). Other contributing factors are use of psychoactive drugs, especially with children, and the trend toward an entitlement culture.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  2. #32
    Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    One thing I do in big parking lots is I don't go in a straight line to my car. I will do things like go up the adjacent aisle and then cut over. Then I will come at my car at a different angle than what someone would be expecting. If someone is following me, or someone is waiting for me, it's easier to spot and it throws them off their game.
    Although, your non-direct route has its advantages, it can also have its drawbacks. Depending on the parking lot, getting attacked while walking to your car, especially a woman, can be just as much of a risk. It was a few years back, but I still remember hearing it on the news, that a woman was abducted from a parking lot not far from my house that I go to fairly frequently.

  3. #33
    Senior Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    18,335
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My wife and I both carry. When we go to the gym, my wife doesn't carry and I have only the Sig P938 9mm in my pocket. I always tell my wife not to flip off any motorcycle gangs since I only have the small 9mm.
    Not flipping off ANYBODY is an even better tactic.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,743
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    Although, your non-direct route has its advantages, it can also have its drawbacks. Depending on the parking lot, getting attacked while walking to your car, especially a woman, can be just as much of a risk. It was a few years back, but I still remember hearing it on the news, that a woman was abducted from a parking lot not far from my house that I go to fairly frequently.
    I hear what you're saying. However, women attacked in parking lots often have their attackers following them or setting up on them before the attack, which the indirect route is intended to deal with. But you do have a point that lessening time in the lot may lower risk also. It's a tradeoff.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array Texas Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,837
    Safety in Cars: Avoid Car Jackings
    Parking lot predators are especially on the watch for those cluelessly fumbling around for keys, fiddling with phones, etc

    Avoid them by getting in, starting up, and going.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

    Agent K

  7. #36
    VIP Member Array scottync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tobacco Road
    Posts
    5,090
    Another carjacking murder. I wonder if there are any statistics on how these crimes occur? On approaching the vehicle, or when the victim is already in the car?

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...185334881.html
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Parking lot predators are especially on the watch for those cluelessly fumbling around for keys, fiddling with phones, etc

    Avoid them by getting in, starting up, and going.
    I keep preaching this to my wife. She will walk to the car with while on her phone and wait until she gets to the car to look for her keys. Then she will get in the phone and continue her phone call for 1 to 2 minutes before pulling off. I keep praying that God protect her, and keep getting on her about being aware of her surrounding and not letting that phone get all of her attention. I have observed her and she looks like a target when walking to her car.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

  9. #38
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I keep preaching this to my wife. She will walk to the car with while on her phone and wait until she gets to the car to look for her keys. Then she will get in the phone and continue her phone call for 1 to 2 minutes before pulling off. I keep praying that God protect her, and keep getting on her about being aware of her surrounding and not letting that phone get all of her attention. I have observed her and she looks like a target when walking to her car.
    Huh...

    Husbands can nag too!

    (I feel your pain... I nag my wife about this kinda stuff too and generally get shrugged off...)
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  10. #39
    Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    We had a local homeless guy who used to hang on the local campus begging. He was kinda big and intimidating so he got the campus police called on him all the time. One day a few years ago he had a heart attack and died during an encounter with police. It was revealed that for at least 15 years he had been dealing with some serious mental issues. We have no mental facilities for dealing with these folks so it seems they are just kind of on their own. It's really sad.
    Today I went to pick up my Henry Big Boy from my gunsmith. He is also a University police officer and told me that he lost count of the times that he got a call about this homeless guy and took him to the local hospitals mental ward. He said that every single time the guy was back on the street in less than 24 hours. We have 2 nice hospitals here in town and he said that neither of them have any real interest in helping the mentally challenged homeless in our community so they are left to wander the streets often without the medication that they need. It's really terrible.
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

  11. #40
    Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Id probably look at a car holster - on the console, below the steering wheel, etc.
    I have thought about this. The problem is that I subscribe to the notion that I should not touch my gun once I put it on (less handling, less chance of a ND). This solution leave me moving my gun from my hip to my in-car holster and back fairly often (since I drive short distances several times a day). Although I may not like it, you are right that this may be my only option.
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

  12. #41
    Sponsor
    Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,183
    Car jackings can happen getting in the car in a lot, or while driving and stopped at stop lights or just stopped in heavy traffic morning or afternoon rush hour stop and go type for even a few seconds at a time.

    Used to take the gun off the hip and place it under the left thigh while driving in areas that might present this possibility. One could do the same thing as soon as they entered their vehicle in a lot just as easily.

    There's several tactics I know and may employ if jacked at a light, some mentioned leaving enough room to escape. That may bring being fired upon while exfiltrating if they get angry at being thwarted. Be ready to take incoming if that tactic is used.

    Another is to comply, feign weakness and submission and wait to shoot them in the head as they enter and seat themselves in your vehicle, through the glass if necessary. Trained in how to place muzzle on glass in a downward angle, there's very little chance of deflection to the intended head shot.

    If I'm armed, they are unlikely to get the vehicle, in any situation. The main point for me is not leave the gun on hip when seated and be able to deal with a deadly force threat at the door. If they approach with gun drawn, drawing seated from the hip is more futile that successful unless the turd really doesn't want to shoot anyone and just uses the gun hoping to gain compliance.
    msgt/ret, OD*, PhaedrusIV and 2 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

  13. #42
    Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Car jackings can happen getting in the car in a lot, or while driving and stopped at stop lights or just stopped in heavy traffic morning or afternoon rush hour stop and go type for even a few seconds at a time.

    Used to take the gun off the hip and place it under the left thigh while driving in areas that might present this possibility. One could do the same thing as soon as they entered their vehicle in a lot just as easily.

    There's several tactics I know and may employ if jacked at a light, some mentioned leaving enough room to escape. That may bring being fired upon while exfiltrating if they get angry at being thwarted. Be ready to take incoming if that tactic is used.

    Another is to comply, feign weakness and submission and wait to shoot them in the head as they enter and seat themselves in your vehicle, through the glass if necessary. Trained in how to place muzzle on glass in a downward angle, there's very little chance of deflection to the intended head shot.

    If I'm armed, they are unlikely to get the vehicle, in any situation. The main point for me is not leave the gun on hip when seated and be able to deal with a deadly force threat at the door. If they approach with gun drawn, drawing seated from the hip is more futile that successful unless the turd really doesn't want to shoot anyone and just uses the gun hoping to gain compliance.
    Thank you for that insight.
    AzQkr and OD* like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I have thought about this. The problem is that I subscribe to the notion that I should not touch my gun once I put it on (less handling, less chance of a ND). This solution leave me moving my gun from my hip to my in-car holster and back fairly often (since I drive short distances several times a day). Although I may not like it, you are right that this may be my only option.
    Maybe looking into car holster mounts, which are designed to allow you to insert your gun and holster combination into the mount. I have not tried any but have seen a few online.

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array cal44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    800
    What is the best security device to prevent a car jacking by a Millennial?

    A stick shift.

  16. #45
    Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Car jackings can happen getting in the car in a lot, or while driving and stopped at stop lights or just stopped in heavy traffic morning or afternoon rush hour stop and go type for even a few seconds at a time.

    Used to take the gun off the hip and place it under the left thigh while driving in areas that might present this possibility. One could do the same thing as soon as they entered their vehicle in a lot just as easily.

    There's several tactics I know and may employ if jacked at a light, some mentioned leaving enough room to escape. That may bring being fired upon while exfiltrating if they get angry at being thwarted. Be ready to take incoming if that tactic is used.

    Another is to comply, feign weakness and submission and wait to shoot them in the head as they enter and seat themselves in your vehicle, through the glass if necessary. Trained in how to place muzzle on glass in a downward angle, there's very little chance of deflection to the intended head shot.

    If I'm armed, they are unlikely to get the vehicle, in any situation. The main point for me is not leave the gun on hip when seated and be able to deal with a deadly force threat at the door. If they approach with gun drawn, drawing seated from the hip is more futile that successful unless the turd really doesn't want to shoot anyone and just uses the gun hoping to gain compliance.
    How would you argue self defense/fear for you life if you shoot them while they are getting into your car and you are outside the car? Seems like an easy charge for a liberal DA saying he just wanted the car and the threat to your life was over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •