Stand your ground shooting update, Florida. - Page 19

Stand your ground shooting update, Florida.

This is a discussion on Stand your ground shooting update, Florida. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Frodebro Common sense is a trait that was possessed by absolutely none of the people involved in this situation. Everybody was in ...

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree509Likes

Thread: Stand your ground shooting update, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    Common sense is a trait that was possessed by absolutely none of the people involved in this situation. Everybody was in the wrong on some level or another, but only one of those people decided to escalate the situation. And because the shooter was the one that created the conflict, I would say that the murder charge isn't really unreasonable.
    The conflict as it pertains to the shooting was started by the boyfriend.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The conflict as it pertains to the shooting was started by the boyfriend.
    I think that's the grey area that has made this such a complex (and interesting) situation. Some see it as starting when the boyfriend laid hands on the guy, others see it as starting with the initial verbal altercation with the girlfriend that escalated into physical violence and the fatal shooting. The way I see it, every one of them is an idiot that acts without thinking.
    Macantic likes this.

I think that's the grey area that has made this such a complex (and interesting) situation. Some see it as starting when the boyfriend laid hands on the guy, others see it as starting with the initial verbal altercation with the girlfriend that escalated into physical violence and the fatal shooting. The way I see it, every one of them is an idiot that acts without thinking.
    I agree with everything except that being the gray area. I think when it comes to court, that will be very cut and dry. I think the gray area will be the timeframe between when Drejka draws his gun, the boyfriend backs up, and Drejka decides to shoot. If anything gets him convicted, I think it will be the prosecution arguing that he would not have been further harmed if he did not shoot.
    Frodebro and AzQkr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I agree with everything except that being the gray area. I think when it comes to court, that will be very cut and dry. I think the gray area will be the timeframe between when Drejka draws his gun, the boyfriend backs up, and Drejka decides to shoot. If anything gets him convicted, I think it will be the prosecution arguing that he would not have been further harmed if he did not shoot.
    Good point, can't disagree with you there. As for whether or not the boyfriend would have had another go at him, that is obviously going to all be pure speculation. Personally, I think that the boyfriend WOULD have continued the beatdown if the gun were not presented, but I also think that it was most likely over the moment the guy found himself staring down the barrel. Sure, he might have made some passing remarks as he backed off, but it's a pretty reasonable assumption that he was done with the dance the minute the gun came out. But the shooter has a known history of being "The Law", and I have a suspicion that by the time he drew the gun he was fully intending to shoot the guy regardless of whether he backed off or not.

I've seen it plenty of times in bars-some people just get into that "mode" and they're going to keep the fight going even when their opponent has backed down. Accosting the girlfriend for parking in the handicapped spot shows that this guy has that capability in him.
    Havok and Bad Bob like this.

He has been sentenced to 20 years.

'Stand your ground' killer sentenced to 20 years in slaying over parking space'

A white Florida man found guilty of manslaughter in the 2018 killing of an unarmed African-American father he shot in a dispute over a handicap parking space was sentenced on Thursday to serve 20 years in prison.

Michael Drejka, 48, learned his fate after Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Joseph Bulone heard from family members of the victim, Markeis McGlockton, 28, including his parents and the mother of his four children, Britany Jacobs.

"The defendant's weakness, his cowardice and his anger ... are the reasons Markeis is dead," said Jacobs, reading from a prepared statement.
    https://abc11.com/stand-your-ground-...space/5609221/
    Bad Bob, Mike1956 and airslot like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Its not a grey area. Everything is fine until violence enters the equation. Yell, shout, call names. Sticks and stones.....
    Struckat, Havok and airslot like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Its not a grey area. Everything is fine until violence enters the equation. Yell, shout, call names. Sticks and stones.....
    - not really
    - legally there is assault
    - Lt.Col. Parking Lot Commando began by assaulting the woman in the car with her kids

- her husband returns the assault with an added battery (the push)
    - then begins to walk away once he sees a gun is drawn on him

- Parking Lot Commando can't take the hurting on his ego, plus his sociopathic dream of 'killing a bad-guy who I made bad by insigating him to be bad' was about to come true

- now he's doing 20... well prolly more like 10 with parole...

- in self-defense REASON is always the name of the game.. any reasonably person can see that this arseclown was the instigator, over something minor, had a history of instigating before, and reasonably saw the man walking away from him versus charging at him like Commando originally claimed..

- was it wrong to push him? yes.
    - was the fool with the gun walking around for his whole life looking for this moment? yes.
    - he is a sociopath, which is why the jury found him guilty...

tragedy all around...

but unfortunately some people with concealed permits are LOOKING FOR TROUBLE thinking they are some sort of special-cowboy... and go around LOOKING for 'opprtunities'....

Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - not really
    - Lt.Col. Parking Lot Commando began by assaulting the woman in the car with her kids

- Parking Lot Commando can't take the hurting on his ego, plus his sociopathic dream of 'killing a bad-guy who I made bad by insigating him to be bad' was about to come true

- in self-defense REASON is always the name of the game.. any reasonably person can see that this arseclown was the instigator, over something minor, had a history of instigating before, and reasonably saw the man walking away from him versus charging at him like Commando originally claimed..

- was the fool with the gun walking around for his whole life looking for this moment? yes.

tragedy all around...

but unfortunately some people with concealed permits are LOOKING FOR TROUBLE thinking they are some sort of special-cowboy... and go around LOOKING for 'opprtunities'....
    You need to watch the video again bud. The assault was started by the boyfriend.
    Bad Bob, msgt/ret, OD* and 2 others like this.

- not really
    Huge assumption. None of us know what was said nor the tone used. Unless verbal threats of harm were made by "Lt. Col. Parking Lot Commander," there was no assault. There is a clear difference between arguing and debating versus making threats of physical violence.

784.011 Assault.–
    (1) An “assault” is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

- not really

tragedy all around...

In 40 years of law enforcement I never arrested someone for a verbal assault.
    msgt/ret, OD*, graydude and 4 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    - not really

tragedy all around...

You got all that from the video? What are you, a surveillance film mind reader? If you are, that's pretty cool.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member

So I watched the video again. Just from the video I still don't think this was a slam dunk case. But it does appear that McGlockton was backing away, and the shooting took place about four seconds and the Drejka hits the ground. Of course, we have the benefit of a time indexed video with stop and start.

Had Drejka been found not guilty I would have said okay. He was found guilty, so I say okay.

We see one small slice of all the evidence presented at trial. We should just accept the verdict.

The lesson? Don't be an asshat, especially when you are carrying.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

So I watched the video again. Just from the video I still don't think this was a slam dunk case. But it does appear that McGlockton was backing away, and the shooting took place about four seconds and the Drejka hits the ground. Of course, we have the benefit of a time indexed video with stop and start.

Had Drejka been found not guilty I would have said okay. He was found guilty, so I say okay.

We see one small slice of all the evidence presented at trial. We should just accept the verdict.

The lesson? Don't be an asshat, especially when you are carrying.
    If he'd been found not guilty it would have been a travesty of justice.
    Bad Bob and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    If he'd been found not guilty it would have been a travesty of justice.
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the evidence presented at trial, much of which we do not have.

I can spin a lot of "what ifs." What was McGlockton saying? What was the woman saying? What was the woman doing? Is there anything about McGlockton that may be relevant that we cannot see from the video? Same for the woman. Lots of stuff we don't know.

I'm not going to go through the trial record line by line to make that call.

Drejka was found guilty, it's done. I've go not concerns about the verdict.
    OldChap likes this.

While we can't hear what is being said, I did not see anything particularly threatening in Drejka's motions, a least nothing warranting a blindside physical attack. Lots of arm waving, but that's pretty normal. I did note that he managed to get everyone's attention who passed by.
    Havok and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Sponsored Links