Friendly Fire - Page 2

Friendly Fire

This is a discussion on Friendly Fire within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Except there was no confusion in either scenario as to who the good guy and bad guy was. Both were errant ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Friendly Fire

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Except there was no confusion in either scenario as to who the good guy and bad guy was. Both were errant rounds hitting unintended targets.
    Gotcha. My reading comprehension (lack of) skill had me thinking that you got shot the second time by being misidentified.

I guess a sash won't do you any good but you'd look darn spiffy wearing it.
    OldVet, Mike1956, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Gotcha. My reading comprehension (lack of) skill had me thinking that you got shot the second time by being misidentified.

I guess a sash won't do you any good but you'd look darn spiffy wearing it.
    Yes, I do. Add that concealed carry badge on my eleven o'clock belt line, and I am one of the coolest guys in Panera's.
    AzQkr, TX expat, Tstone and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Yes, I do. Add that concealed carry badge on my eleven o'clock belt line, and I am one of the coolest guys in Panera's.
    Well, you'll probably be the only armed one too so at least you don't have as much friendly fire to worry about
    Mike1956 and OldChap like this.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Unless you are brain dead, learning takes place in every thing we do. Sometimes its what to do and sometimes its what not to do - either way ups the odds of a successful mitigation of a force encounter. Improvise, adapt, overcome, works.
    Mike1956, airslot and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    Unless you are brain dead, learning takes place in every thing we do. Sometimes its what to do and sometimes its what not to do - either way ups the odds of a successful mitigation of a force encounter. Improvise, adapt, overcome, works.
    All true. I certainly learned something in both the incidents I described.
    Tstone, CG11, OldChap and 1 others like this.

We use sim guns and it is amazing how easy you get amped up and start getting tunnel vision training how you fight is the only way to successfully train. I highly recommend anyone who has to to take some force on force training.
    Mike1956, OldChap and Risasi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    What good is all this extra training if the most rudimentary of scenarios results in such a horrible mistake?

Training and practice have their place and can help somewhat prepare someone for a deadly force encounter. But at the end of the day the only real experience is earned by actual encounters outside the classroom/range.

80 plus hours of training is quite expensive and time consuming to still be Barney Fifing it up...
    True that there is nothing like real combat but that is not to say that the expense isn't worth it.
    Even the highly trained make mistakes, that's life, but it's the higher level of training that enables them to survive and prevail. Look at aviation for an analogous situation. Flight simulators have saved many lives and are considered necessary for any serious flight training and testing.

The whole point of the extra training is exactly to make those "Barney Fife" mistakes. To push yourself to a higher level of stress and realism in order to find the weak points in ones training. Yes, it's expensive which is one reason it's not more popular.

For those not able to afford the FoF level I'd suggest they make their fundamental training the best they can find.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    What good is all this extra training if the most rudimentary of scenarios results in such a horrible mistake?

Training and practice have their place and can help somewhat prepare someone for a deadly force encounter. But at the end of the day the only real experience is earned by actual encounters outside the classroom/range.

80 plus hours of training is quite expensive and time consuming to still be Barney Fifing it up...
    Everything related to shooting aside, there are a huge number of pilots and astronauts who would disagree very strongly. In fact, most of them are alive because at one time or another when a real life scenario presented itself, that particular life-saving response had already been practiced many times in the simulator. It is all about having a good idea of what works and what doesn't BEFORE the situation turns real.

If you learn from your mistakes, time spent making them is indeed time well spent.

@Hoganbeg you rascal, you beat me to it!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know, Mike. Maybe they just figured you needed to be shot.
    I gave my fellow members here several hours to rush to my defense before I responded to this post...

I gave my fellow members here several hours to rush to my defense before I responded to this post...
    Keep waiting...
    Mike1956 and BigJon10125 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Awww Mike...ya' know we love you - even IF you have the ugliest dog photo avatar on earth!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The mind is the limiting factor. The mind is the weapon, the tools we use are just tools.
    Beyond every tool that is available to mankind, the mind is the greatest of all. Once you can control your mind, everything thing else just flows.
    Hoganbeg, AzQkr and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kenboyles72 View Post
    Beyond every tool that is available to mankind, the mind is the greatest of all. Once you can control your mind, everything thing else just flows.
    You assume everyone has one.
    AzQkr, OldChap and gr8shooter like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There is that!
    OldChap likes this.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You assume everyone has one.
    Just watching the news should clue us in on how many people don't waste any time on thinking.
    OldChap and montejames like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links